Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2019, 04:30 AM

1 posts, read 1,820 times

Advertisements

We are an interracial family, African-American and British Turkish-Cypriot looking to relocate to Naples but equally interested in other parts of Florida. We have visited Naples before while on vacation and enjoyed our stay but obviously were not there that long. What is the general vibe in Naples? Are people generally open minded about cultural and ethnic differences there? Have you noticed a demographic shift in the past 5/10/20 years?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2019, 05:41 AM

1,599 posts, read 1,430,973 times
You will be fine. Naples to Estero to south Ft Myers , folks there will not notice. My gated community development is mixed and everyone mingles adults and kids. I don’t think we even noticed.

Old 08-18-2019, 09:02 AM

1,394 posts, read 2,089,627 times
I agree with FS46.

Old 08-18-2019, 09:32 AM

88 posts, read 74,137 times
Naples is pretty white bread old school - the question is whether you have money, thats only color noticed in Naples ha ha

Old 08-18-2019, 02:29 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,430,973 times
You should go to HK if you
Post all complain about Ft Lauderdale, Sarasota etc..

Old 08-19-2019, 11:25 AM

88 posts, read 74,137 times
green only thing that matter in Naples

Old 08-22-2019, 01:20 AM

549 posts, read 722,575 times
I don't know, I was born and raised here. I'm married to an Asian woman, my friends are Vietnamese, Indian, Haitian and Mexicans with a few more Guatemalans I don't see any prejudices towards any of them. I've been doing this for my whole life so the others can complain but I ain't seeing it from where I sit.

That might be one of the reasons that so many super wealthy people move here, it's because we don't give a crap about who you think you are, we're busy doing our own stuff and don't care who you are or what you come from. Ain't no one getting mobbed for autographs around here. With that, I'm pretty sure that no one really cares what ethnicity you come from, it's all about living life.

Old 08-23-2019, 09:21 AM

331 posts, read 452,961 times
If you look for the diversity, you'll find it. This area is not as multi-cultural as say Miami, but this area is open and safe.

Old 08-25-2019, 12:00 AM

2,074 posts, read 1,643,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zizziro48 View Post
We are an interracial family, African-American and British Turkish-Cypriot looking to relocate to Naples but equally interested in other parts of Florida. We have visited Naples before while on vacation and enjoyed our stay but obviously were not there that long. What is the general vibe in Naples? Are people generally open minded about cultural and ethnic differences there? Have you noticed a demographic shift in the past 5/10/20 years?
South Florida is very culturally diverse. There are many mixed couples with multi-ethnic children. The harsh racism of the segregation era has generally faded in recent decades. With that said, the type of racism still common in Florida is colorism. If you have children such that one is light-skinned and the other is dark-skinned, then the reality of Florida is that the lighter-skinned children would generally be more favored - especially for "intelligence" and "aesthetic" appearance. So, the racism can still exist in subtle forms and colorism. For example, the Latin American and Caribbean communities in Miami are known for colorism (subtly). I met Jewish engineers in South FL who made it clear they thought their ethnic group was smarter than the others in the area. These same Jewish co-workers are adamantly against Nazi racism but for some reason excuse colorism. It was also common in HCBU fraternities and sororities.

But in general, the situation is very positive if viewed pragmatically with realism. The harsh racism of the segregation era back in the 1950s has faded, but subtle racism and colorism persist.

These links will describe subtle racism and colorism effectively:
https://www.thoughtco.com/examples-o...racism-2834960

https://www.teenvogue.com/story/khlo...olorism-racism

As for me, I am indigenous from rural AZ but lived in FL for over ten years. I have since returned to the southwest in my cultural domain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples