Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2020, 09:02 PM

2,128 posts, read 2,322,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by logybogy View Post
It's going to be disruptive I think with winners and losers. People are just going to have to adapt to the new normal. WFH is great if you have kids and are a little older and more established. The work/life balance benefits are just awesome. It saves you time in commute. If you are no longer chained to an office in a geographic area, why not move to South Florida where you were planning to retire but do it 10 years earlier at 45 rather than 55? I think a lot of people up north will jump at the chance to transport their job to Florida with the same salary. The company saves money in real estate. The employee is happy. Win-win for everyone.

On the other hand, it sucks for those younger and just starting their careers. Mentoring and office jobs opportunities will be reduced. It will get harder to get your foot in the door and get work experience and that in-person training necessary to launch careers. That type of work experience may end up even more clustered in the large cities with clusters and corporate headquarters. It sucks for singles and those that get a lot out of the social aspect of their friendships at work. It sucks for ancillary businesses near office buildings and office parks like restaurants and retail that need that density of workers during the day to maintain their profit margins.

I think density is going to be key here as well as elbow room and "space". Cities with large public transportation systems will suffer as people will want to drive and live in the suburbs or exurbs. I think Miami is going to have problems. More suburban Naples/Ft. Myers maybe not as much if people can move their jobs from up north and WFH and live their retirement dream early. We'll see.
All of that is already happening. Young people are doing the travel so they aren't in that space you mention. Senior execs get the better travel or have more work from home options already. I work for a Fortune 500 company, the execs and higher ups at HQ have 1-2 work from home days already.

But to your point about moving here early, that is exactly right. Why live in the freezing cold and higher taxes if you don't have to? Some of my earliest clients in Real Estate were these 25-35 year olds who had jobs that just required them to be near a major airport..so some of them chose Miami/FTL to live. Others chose places like Vegas. So they got all the benefits of Miami (parties, social scene, weekend fun, events) and none of the negatives since they didn't work here Mon-Thurs (Traffic, didn't own a car, rude people, daily grind, etc.)

Looking forward to a Brave New World
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2020, 04:43 AM

92 posts, read 99,655 times
My wife worked at Nordstrom in Waterside, and she's not surprised its closing but obviously sad nonetheless.
They were never really busy, and mostly relatively empty. Plus she always though they catered to a very old demographic, with clothing that no one under 60 would wear, but that's Naples I guess.
Great company to work for though, a shame they couldn't make it work there.

Old 05-12-2020, 07:16 AM

10,951 posts, read 3,616,812 times
Miami is also in the NIXING !!!!!

The Article here: https://tinyurl.com/yalooey2

Old 05-12-2020, 07:29 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,081,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slapshot1959 View Post
Plus she always though they catered to a very old demographic, with clothing that no one under 60 would wear, but that's Naples I guess.
There’s a lot of that. There’s also really 2 “Naples” -

Old Naples which is not only old but monied. If tastes change then they’ll shop elsewhere but still high end.

Collier County “Naples” which has a high percentage of midwestern retirees who are financially secure but likely still conservative in their dress and spending habits. They might love walking around Waterside and eat at Brio but aren’t buying Louis Vouton bags every season.

Old 05-12-2020, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Collier County “Naples” which has a high percentage of midwestern retirees who are financially secure but likely still conservative in their dress and spending habits. They might love walking around Waterside and eat at Brio but aren’t buying Louis Vouiton bags every season.
^^^^ This!

Old 05-12-2020, 01:08 PM

6,275 posts, read 4,758,955 times
The Nordstroms here in Jax caters to a mostly younger clientele, maybe because the area has a median age 30 years younger than Naples. The Nordstroms Rack will stay in the Mercato. The Mercato has mostly restaurants, a Whole Foods, movie theaters and trendy mid price boutiquey stores.

Old 05-13-2020, 04:10 AM

92 posts, read 99,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
The Nordstroms here in Jax caters to a mostly younger clientele, maybe because the area has a median age 30 years younger than Naples. The Nordstroms Rack will stay in the Mercato. The Mercato has mostly restaurants, a Whole Foods, movie theaters and trendy mid price boutiquey stores.

The "Rack" is where the Nordstroms make their money, plus now a growing online presence to compete with Amazon (if that's even possible). No Racks were closed anywhere.

Old 05-13-2020, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapshot1959 View Post
The "Rack" is where the Nordstroms make their money, plus now a growing online presence to compete with Amazon (if that's even possible). No Racks were closed anywhere.
Rack was making good money in 2019, as was other discounters like TJ Maxx. People like buying stuff at discounts and the rack has a great return policy. One of the only places I online clothes shop.

Old 05-14-2020, 10:47 AM

243 posts, read 194,212 times
Agree with what others have said about Nordstrom and Waterside. Any time I have gone into Nordstrom it was pretty empty but tons of salespeople on staff. Waterside restaurants, Barnes and Noble, and Apple are regularly busy but never the other shops. Rack is always busy. I feel for those losing their jobs when these stores in Naples close because there are not many other similar employment options for the employees in this area.

Old 05-15-2020, 09:05 AM

62 posts, read 60,359 times
I'll be surprised if the movie theater at Coastland Center ever opens - they've gotta be having a tough time missing summer of their grand opening.

I think Steak and Shake is done as well. Already announced sweet tomatoes is gone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples