U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2020, 05:29 PM

1,358 posts, read 916,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey262 View Post
Yep, I'm ready to get out of Chicago. The taxes, weather, looting, rioting, protesting is getting out of hand. I live in the Gold Coast. Oak St. & Michigan Ave was looting. The media did not show the real looting. Here is an example of the taxes on fuel. A few blocks away, fuel prices are 3.25 for regular gas. I have family in Crown Point, IN that is 50 minutes away. I fill up at Costco. Gas is 1.75. I fill up for $28. In Chicago - $58. I use to live in Naperville. MY property taxes $18,000 in Dupage County. I'm ready to leave.

My preference for Naples is not to pay $700 for HOA's/month as I see in PUD's (Planned Unit Development) in Naples nor do I want to live in a 55 & older community. I am a city person. I prefer to be around people 40+, close to WholeFoods, Trader Joes, or Publix.

I am not looking for large acreage to ride ATV's or shoot guns even though I own many - all for protection. Are there non-production/track builders who build homes for $400K? Can you name some desirable neighborhoods? I don't mind driving 20 minutes to the beach.

Being a past resident of Chicago, when I mentioned South Side, Humblepark, HydePark, you know the areas I prefer to stay away from. I mentioned I lived in Naperville and live in the GoldCoast, I think you know the area I am trying to locate. What are your thoughts?
Naples Park, no HOA fees, and you can have Trader Joe’s, Publix and Wholefoods all within 5-10 minutes of biking distance, literally. You’ll get the somewhat city feel but with the Jimmy Buffet vibes! You can get a pretty nice house for low 400’s. Taxes should only be around 3-4K a year. :-)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2020, 08:16 PM

2,086 posts, read 1,889,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motordavid View Post
markjames68,
some good rec'ds, but we have 3 sets of friends in those Zillow noted house areas and the traffic situ has eroded considerably, just 'getting out' of those several communities.

During winter season, our 3 friends report, (and we experienced it this past winter while visiting pre CV19), that from their doors to get onto Immokalee, it took us 15-20 mins just to get through the lights/stop signs onto Immokalee Rd...

The 'beaches' were another 35 to 40 min slog.
Just our experience...
GL, mD
beaches 35-40 mins is accurate from East of 75..to costco, should be 25 mins max, even in season. Maybe at 8:30Am it could be worse during March but costco isn't even open yet then

Old 06-15-2020, 08:17 PM

2,086 posts, read 1,889,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPrzybylski07 View Post
You can get a pretty nice house for low 400’s. Taxes should only be around 3-4K a year. :-)
Property taxes in most Fl cities are about 1.5%-1.9% of the sales price with homestead exemption and 2.0%+ for investor/non-owner occupied homes.

So a $400k home, expect to pay about $6k/year in taxes.

Old 06-16-2020, 02:50 AM

92 posts, read 76,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
We looked at Golden Gate Estates several years ago. The area looked very nice with the very large lots. However, we saw Golden Gate City, which is nearby, as being a run down area. There were about 6 cars or more in each driveway in Golden Gate City. We stopped looking at Golden Gate Estates after seeing Golden Gate City was so close. We were very concerned about the criminals that lived in Golden Gate City might victimize the residents of Golden Gate Estates. Were we right to be concerned with Golden Gate City being so close?

Unless you live right across the street from GGC, it's a nonissue. Golden Gate Estates is huge, probably the biggest subdivision in the US.
Think of it like living in the nicer SW suburbs of Chicago, (Orland Park, Mokena, Frankfort out to New Lenox,Lemont, Downers Grove) where the south side of Chicago is where you want to stay away from like Golden Gate City. Although GGC is nowhere near how dangerous the south side can be even on it's worst day.

Old 06-16-2020, 05:01 AM

14,398 posts, read 9,226,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motordavid View Post
markjames68,
some good rec'ds, but we have 3 sets of friends in those Zillow noted house areas and the traffic situ has eroded considerably, just 'getting out' of those several communities.

During winter season, our 3 friends report, (and we experienced it this past winter while visiting pre CV19), that from their doors to get onto Immokalee, it took us 15-20 mins just to get through the lights/stop signs onto Immokalee Rd...

The 'beaches' were another 35 to 40 min slog.
Just our experience...
GL, mD
I don’t doubt it can happen...just not always common. It took me an hour once to go from Immokalee and Logan to Immokalee and 41.

Old 06-16-2020, 12:55 PM

11,937 posts, read 11,763,805 times
If I were from Chicago, I'd want a townhouse in Old Naples. Walkable to the beach, dining, and shopping. The prettiest part of Naples in my opinion.

Old 06-19-2020, 07:28 PM

1,358 posts, read 916,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
If I were from Chicago, I'd want a townhouse in Old Naples. Walkable to the beach, dining, and shopping. The prettiest part of Naples in my opinion.
Old Naples is cool, but it’s a touristy vibe. North Naples has a more settled local feel to it. There are so many hidden beautiful pockets of Naples you can’t discount any part really.

Old 06-20-2020, 10:15 AM

657 posts, read 601,927 times
If you're looking for a new home for $400 I don't think you'll be getting anything that is near where you want to be. I would highly recommend considering what road the entrance of your community is. If the entrance is directly on Immokalee I would hesitate.

Would you be open to a resale home or condo? DH and I decided to buy a single family home in the Vineyards. We love the community and location. Not a 55 and older community. We can get on and off I75 easily, we have two manned gates into the community on a beautiful, calm road, we can decide to go onto Pine Ridge road or Vanderbilt beach road very easily. The vineyards landscaping is lush and mature. The country club is NOT mandatory, but is nice club with no assessments if you decide to join. Head down to Mercato and Whole Foods in 15 to 20 minutes. About 20 minutes to Vanderbilt Beach.

For $400 I'm not sure you would get a single family home.

Good luck with your search!

Old 07-03-2020, 04:24 AM

15 posts, read 13,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey262 View Post
Hello Naples Forum. I am looking to move to Naples, but I don't know it well. Is there any area that is not desirable? I live in Chicago. There are areas like the Southside you want to stay away from. The reason I say that, I have been robbed twice and now I protect myself and licensed to carry.

I know the closer I am to the water, the more expensive properties are. Can someone explain the difference between the social-economic classes of East Naples v. North Naples. What are would be considered desirable without having to pay $750,000 for a 2bd/2ba.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Hey there Jeffrey,

I currently live on Long Island and like you I’m tired of the high taxes and crappy quality of life at a high price tag. About 12 years ago my mom bought a vacation condo in Naples. It’s in the moorings which is a beautiful area and less than a mile from the beach. Fell in love with Naples on the first trip. The goal was always to retire down in Naples but the way NY has gotten in the past few years I decided to pull the plug and come up with an exit plan I had a five year plan but after this past spring it changed to an ASAP plan lol.

I was pretty familiar with Naples near my moms condo but couldn’t afford a house in that area so the last few times we visited we drove around areas that had more affordable homes. Last August we fell in love with Naples park. Nice streets and most of the homes looked to be well maintained and just a good working class neighborhood. Plus everything around it like shopping and entertainment was great and just a short ride to downtown. The only issue was we couldn’t find a “newer” house in our price range (most were very early 90s or late 80s and just not the style of architecture I was a fan of.

In February I drove through East Naples and stumbled onto Berkshire Lakes and knew that was it. Got prequalified and made a few offers and we’re closing on a beautiful 3/2 with pool at the end of the month.
The hoa fees are pretty low at 530 a year and honestly I like the idea of not having to worry about a neighbor letting their property go to ruins and what not.

We put an offer in at 355 and it was accepted. I was hoping to find something closer to 290-300 but this house had pretty much everything we wanted and we can afford it so I figured why not. I’m not looking to flip it or anything but I also done see prices coming down and didn’t wanna spend 400 on the same house next year so buy now rent for a year then move down.

Anyway the moral of my story is there’s a lot of areas tucked here and there within your budget. We’ll be about 15 minutes to downtown and the beaches and that was a compromise we were willing to make to get a larger house vs something closer but smaller. I did stumble on a few “less desirable” areas but they were nicer than the less desirable areas here.

Good luck

Old 07-03-2020, 08:54 AM

657 posts, read 601,927 times
JMHO I wouldn't buy in Naples Park or Berkshire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples