Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2021, 05:52 PM

7,705 posts, read 5,448,290 times

Advertisements

I was not aware that Florida does not ban smoking on beaches. Is that the entire state, or do some cities ban beach smoking? We are planning an East Coast road or train trip (Hopefully Maine to Florida) and Sarasota and Naples and possibly Sanibel/Captiva are on our list, primarily for the white sand beaches and cute downtowns, but we want to enjoy our beach time, and smelling smoke, in addition to seeing the cigar/cigarette butts, would make it unbearable.

Do I need to ask about bars and restaurants? Are those not 100% smoke-free, including smoking on outdoor patios?

And hotel swimming pool patios? Can we enjoy those areas without smelling any smoke?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2021, 06:51 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,214,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
I was not aware that Florida does not ban smoking on beaches. Is that the entire state, or do some cities ban beach smoking? We are planning an East Coast road or train trip (Hopefully Maine to Florida) and Sarasota and Naples and possibly Sanibel/Captiva are on our list, primarily for the white sand beaches and cute downtowns, but we want to enjoy our beach time, and smelling smoke, in addition to seeing the cigar/cigarette butts, would make it unbearable.

Do I need to ask about bars and restaurants? Are those not 100% smoke-free, including smoking on outdoor patios?

And hotel swimming pool patios? Can we enjoy those areas without smelling any smoke?
There are always a few rotten apples on crowded beach days that smoke. It’s a state matter, not the county or cities from what I was told.

The west coast beaches are considerably cleaner then the east coast at least in my observations.

Naples beaches are not littered every square inch with cigarette butts, however it also isn’t hard to find one just laying in the sand if you somewhat try to, which is the sad thing.

You should have no problem being on the beach even on a crowded day finding a spot away from any smoker, but like I said there’s always a few rotten apples in every bunch, and some of these smokers just bury their butts in the sand. There should be a hefty fine for doing so if caught since it’s considered littering.

Old 04-04-2021, 06:00 AM

92 posts, read 101,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post

Smoking is allowed on outdoor patios at restaurants.

Old 04-05-2021, 12:40 PM

207 posts, read 422,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slapshot1959 View Post
Smoking is allowed on outdoor patios at restaurants.
Yes, not like CA here at all. Some restaurants might offer non-smoking outdoor sections like the Boathouse Tiki Bar & Grill in Cape Coral does, but I wonder if they only do it because it's all outdoor dining there. So we very rarely eat outside here, especially during season when more visitors are likely to be lighting up. It varies by location, though. Like JP said, some beaches are better than others and I believe that's on account of the people frequenting them. You go to an area that is full of healthy living types and you will probably encounter less cigarette smoking on beaches & at outdoor patios. Pre-Covid, we just learned to eat inside here rather than being able to enjoy outdoor dining. I do think Sanibel/Captiva beaches probably have less smokers than Fort Myers Beach. The causeway toll is equivalent to the cost of a pack of cigarettes probably so maybe they make a choice to not cross the bridge in favor of additional smokes.

Old 04-05-2021, 08:16 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,214,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SellingNWCape View Post
Yes, not like CA here at all. Some restaurants might offer non-smoking outdoor sections like the Boathouse Tiki Bar & Grill in Cape Coral does, but I wonder if they only do it because it's all outdoor dining there. So we very rarely eat outside here, especially during season when more visitors are likely to be lighting up. It varies by location, though. Like JP said, some beaches are better than others and I believe that's on account of the people frequenting them. You go to an area that is full of healthy living types and you will probably encounter less cigarette smoking on beaches & at outdoor patios. Pre-Covid, we just learned to eat inside here rather than being able to enjoy outdoor dining. I do think Sanibel/Captiva beaches probably have less smokers than Fort Myers Beach. The causeway toll is equivalent to the cost of a pack of cigarettes probably so maybe they make a choice to not cross the bridge in favor of additional smokes.
Haha that last part..... gold

Yes it’s great being around healthy people, or at least people who are trying to be. Sure the person who green juices and runs 3 miles everyday can still drop dead from cancer unexpectedly, but at least they were inspiring and trying to be their healthiest. Cigarette smokers, can’t believe I use to be one... Wow how dumb those teenage years were.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples