U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2008, 07:39 PM

31 posts, read 121,650 times

Advertisements

I am orginally from central Mass. and have been living in Naples for a year and half. My husband was offered a position here and it was a great opportunity for him. I have three teenages and it was hard to move away from family and friends, but we have adjusted. I was a child care provider in my home for 12 years before moving down here and was able to get a temp to perm job last year (very lucky!) as a legal administrative assistant - I had work in a law firm before my child care posisiton. I work on Fifth Ave. South.

We never thought of moving to southwest Florida or for that matter Florida, but we are enjoying it. We laugh about how we have the windows open in 80 deg. weather and up North we would probably be dying from the heat!

We have not really explored around here yet, but we look forward to it. We have been to the Naples Zoo many times (we had a year pass), we went to the Botanical Garden before they closed, and have been to the Naples Pier many times to fish, enjoy the beach, and watch the fireworks. It was really neat to be at the Beach on New Years Eve while MA was cold!

We were lucky enough to go to a few spring training baseball games - that was my childhood dream! We also went to a Rays and Red Sox game and to a Marlins game last year. We are also fortunate enough to, on many occasions, take a day trip up to Disney World (we bought annual passes) and stay over for a few nights.

We went home for a visit in Oct and the first thing my kids said was how dirty it looks there We were excited to see everyone, but we were happy to come home.

We are enjoying the Florida lifestyle (wearing sandals everyday to work ) and I believe only wore a light jacket may be twice so far this year. I know it was rough on my kids, but they seem to have adjusted. My son says he really misses the 4 seasons, especially winter. I know my husband and I do not.

So, I guess what I'm trying to say is that you really need to have your mind set that you want to move and scope out the area, lifestyle, jobs, etc. before even going down to look where you want to live. We have been talking about moving for a few years, and looking at websites, etc for the places we wanted to move. Like I said, we really did not expect to end up in Naples (did look at it, but shrugged it off!) and are happy we did it, especially since my husband is very happy with is job!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2008, 09:55 AM

8,900 posts, read 14,542,633 times
No offense, but it's important to factor in what your children think. When I have kids, I'll put them before my own wants. It would be really selfish of me to stay in Florida because I'd love it and my kids want to move back to where there's 4 seasons.

Old 07-14-2008, 11:23 AM

3,636 posts, read 9,164,817 times
Right on!!! My 9 year old wanted to come back here when we did, now that she has been here since February, I think she figured out it's no fun here because it's too hot to go out to play, forget the park. And she has a bad allergy to fire ants too now, swells up like a puffer fish where she gets bitten... She is so excited to return to Mass. I knew she would have this change of heart like I did. She was outside all the time up there, and never complained about school. She wants to make snowmen again.

She does however like to go swimming here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
No offense, but it's important to factor in what your children think. When I have kids, I'll put them before my own wants. It would be really selfish of me to stay in Florida because I'd love it and my kids want to move back to where there's 4 seasons.

Old 07-14-2008, 11:47 AM

5,642 posts, read 8,830,491 times
Default Especially if your kids are teenagers

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoFLigo View Post
Right on!!! My 9 year old wanted to come back here when we did, now that she has been here since February, I think she figured out it's no fun here because it's too hot to go out to play, forget the park. And she has a bad allergy to fire ants too now, swells up like a puffer fish where she gets bitten... She is so excited to return to Mass. I knew she would have this change of heart like I did. She was outside all the time up there, and never complained about school. She wants to make snowmen again.

She does however like to go swimming here.
My husband's boss came to Naples from upstate NY as a teenager. His parents "dreamed" of living in Florida and opening a business.

After 30 years, he is the only one of his siblings to still be in Florida. They have all married, had kids, and moved back to NY. He is the sole child here with his aging parents. His wife, too, came to Florida from Pa. as teenager. If you ask either of them, they will both say they hate it here.

Their only child is just starting college. Their plan is move back to NY when he graduates and is on his own. When we were in upstate NY for our daughter's graduation, my husband sent him pictures of the mountains and he said, "Thanks, for rubbing it in."

It can even happen with younger kids too. An 8 year old boy in the class where I worked came from Michigan 3 years ago. He says all the time that he misses Michigan and his grandparents, who don't want to move here. He says he wants to play in the snow and slide down hills. "I don't like the heat and the beach". When he came back from Christmas break, he was in a very depressed mood. He had visited his grandparents in Michigan and said, "I didn't want to come back here". I told him do your work, get good grades, and maybe you can go to college in Michigan when you grow up." I told the teacher on many occasions how this boy feels and why he is having "problems", but she just didn't get it.

It's no fun being where you don't want to be and HAVING to stick it out.

Old 07-17-2008, 05:08 PM

95 posts, read 338,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by square-deal View Post
Hi tarastomsgirl, Thanks for taking the time to respond. This past winter was pretty bad in Kansas, too, not just in the Northeast. I'm pretty sure I'd like Florida in the winter . . . but . . . if I move, it will be this July . . . and frankly, I'm concerned about the heat and humidity at that time of year. Just need to be sure anyplace that I rent is air-conditioned I guess. Your comment about your relatively inexpensive bill for running the air conditioner is encouraging! I've never had the opportunity to spend any time day after day on the beach. That could be difference. I burn easily! . . . Guess sunscreen might take care of that, if I can remember to apply it every day!
You may define Florida as being too hot but eventually you'll start getting use to it and find yourself getting cold at 70 degrees. I'm from Long Island and i laughed when i heard people had sweaters at 70 degrees but like always -- "whatever goes around comes around" and now i get cold real quick.

Old 07-17-2008, 07:02 PM

Get used to the heat here? I have talked to REAL Floridians who say that you never get used to 90+ temps for months on end. 14 years, and I'm not used to it. And a scientific study proved your blood does not "thin" down here either. I did the same I thought it was halarious when people put on jackets at 60 or 70 degrees... I still laugh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcabrer1 View Post
You may define Florida as being too hot but eventually you'll start getting use to it and find yourself getting cold at 70 degrees. I'm from Long Island and i laughed when i heard people had sweaters at 70 degrees but like always -- "whatever goes around comes around" and now i get cold real quick.

Old 07-17-2008, 07:29 PM

3,842 posts, read 9,957,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcabrer1 View Post
One "may get use to it" doesn't mean they are going to like it.

I am use to going to the dentist to get my teeth clean for 20something odd years, doesn't mean I like it.
Women are use to going to the OBGYN every year & know what to expect...doesn't mean they are going to like it.

"Use to" doesn't carry much weight.

If a person doesn't care for something, they don't care for something.

The circle will not fit in the square hole not matter how hard you bash it.

Old 07-17-2008, 07:44 PM

Amen!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
one "may get use to it" doesn't mean they are going to like it.

I am use to going to the dentist to get my teeth clean for 20something odd years, doesn't mean i like it.
Women are use to going to the obgyn every year & know what to expect...doesn't mean they are going to like it.

"use to" doesn't carry much weight.

If a person doesn't care for something, they don't care for something.

The circle will not fit in the square hole not matter how hard you bash it.

Old 07-18-2008, 07:28 AM

5,642 posts, read 8,830,491 times
Heat and humidity is heat and humdity, whether it is in the 90s (summer) or 80s (winter). It's just a matter of degree. It wears you out after an entire year of it. There is very little break. Even when it gets into the 70s (rare this past winter), the humidity is there there.

We had ONE day all last winter when the temps didn't reach 60. It was cloudy and drizzling all day. Fortunately, it was a Saturday and I spent the entire day outside in my jeans and sweatshirt. People were walking around with PARKAS on! The next day was back up to 80 and humid.

It wears you out, it really does.

Old 07-18-2008, 07:32 AM

By 3pm every day I am about dead from the heat. If you work in an office, well then you are lucky. The heat "defenders" are the people who work inside all day, and don't have to deal with it out there. It's just dandy to them...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples