U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 03:02 PM

31 posts, read 121,322 times

Advertisements

We DO think about our teenagers, but we also have to think about ourselves - having a job to support the teenagers. My husband worked at a place that went into bankruptcy in MA and he was out of work for 6 months until he found a job with the company he is with now. We knew there was a possibility of having to transfer and talked to the kids before hand. Yes, it was hard for them and us to leave all of their friends and aunts, uncles, grandparents, etc. but this was an opportunity that we could not pass up. We never said we would stay in FL the rest of our lives, but for now it is fine. We don't want to relocate again while the teenagers are in high school. They have adjusted, their grades are wonderful and they have new friends. We have always been the type of family that does many activities together and we still do! I am not judging anyone so don't judge me!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2008, 03:26 PM

5,642 posts, read 8,743,900 times
My husband was out of work 3 times since my kids were young: quit one job and couldn't find another, after 9/11, and then because he old IT technology was not need anymore. All told, totally he was out of work for 3 years. The first time he was offered a transfer to Houston. All the employees told him not to move there with young kids. After 9/11, well, what can I say? The eoncomy was very bad in New York for years after. The last time he was over 50 and it gets very difficult when you reach a certain age. Our oldest was out of school, working full time, but could not afford living on her own. Our youngest was away at college in our state. He moved to Florida for that job and I stayed in NY until she graduated. She purposely transfered from another college in another state because she wanted to become a teacher in NY and had met a guy who would eventually become her fiance.

We have been through everything in those total 3 years we stuck it out: unemployment checks, raiding the 401K, near bankruptcy, food pantries, borrowing from relatives, subsidized lunches for the kids, state medical benefits for the kids, etc. What you can possibly do in that situation we have done. It was ONLY this last time when the kids were more or less grown that we moved. It was heart wrenching to go. I have only seen my older daughter once in the past year. WE had toay for her airfare. My husband even offered to let her stay with us if she would move here. She said NO.

Well, I don't want to go on further. Only to say, we have been through hell and managed to survive. Someday we will go back. Someday we will all be together all in better circumstances.

Old 07-23-2008, 10:22 AM

5 posts, read 12,476 times
Default Naples

What have you heard? We are considering moving our family to Naples.

Old 07-23-2008, 10:26 AM

3,636 posts, read 9,101,588 times
Where are you coming from?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2florida View Post

Old 07-23-2008, 12:46 PM

Default Massachusetts

We're originally from NC, but we're currently in MA.

Old 07-23-2008, 01:22 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,101,588 times
That's funny, I'm moving back to Massachusetts where I am originally from the first week of October. I was there last winter but came to Florida in February thinking I wanted to be here again, but it turns out the economy and lack of jobs is horrible here, and should have stayed there in Mass. You should visit here, make SURE there are jobs in your type of work, visit different areas around here before you just come down. I left a good job there for here, never should have. Now my entire family is moving back there, parents, my wife and daughter. I don't want to be negative, but I don't want to be here in Florida anymore.

Quote:
We're originally from NC, but we're currently in MA.

Old 07-23-2008, 02:22 PM

5,642 posts, read 8,743,900 times
Default There must be much more

Quote:
family friendly places in Florida than Naples. It is all geared toward the rich, snowbirds, and retirees.

Old 07-23-2008, 07:18 PM

3,211 posts, read 7,058,137 times
Quote:
If you are looking for info on Naples we need more info about your situation.

Housing budget, jobs/occupations, kids, etc.

Why Naples?

Old 07-24-2008, 12:17 PM

Default Naples or Delray

We're moving to FL because of both my husband's job and mine. My husband is an insurance adjuster and needs to closer to catastrophe work (i.e. hurricanes). Plus, I'm looking at two jobs (one in Naples and one in Delray) in the banking industry. Basically, I handle high net worth individuals, private wealth. We have two children, ages 5 & 7, and are trying to pick the better of the two locations. I'm really hesitant about West Palm, Boca, and Delray for numerous reasons, and plus, we've lived in Tampa before and love the west coast.

Old 07-24-2008, 02:59 PM

3,211 posts, read 7,058,137 times
Quote:
We're moving to FL because of both my husband's job and mine. My husband is an insurance adjuster and needs to closer to catastrophe work (i.e. hurricanes). Plus, I'm looking at two jobs (one in Naples and one in Delray) in the banking industry. Basically, I handle high net worth individuals, private wealth. We have two children, ages 5 & 7, and are trying to pick the better of the two locations. I'm really hesitant about West Palm, Boca, and Delray for numerous reasons, and plus, we've lived in Tampa before and love the west coast.
The fact that both of you will have jobs before you arrive is a HUGE plus.

Naples is full of high net worth individuals and we get hurricanes!

I'm not that familiar with Delray but I lived in Boca from 81-83, then I moved to Tampa, then to Naples in 86. I loved Tampa.

The school system is in a HUGE amount of turmoil right now, and for reasons other than the economy. Naples is not a kid-friendly town. It is a town of wealthy retirees run by wealthy retirees and the political machine reflects this. Education is not a priority for these folks as their kids are grown.

That said, there are plenty of families here but the overall lifestyle favors the retired and the tourists.

Selecting your school zone is extremely important as there are differences in the quality of the schools.

We can help with areas in Naples to live once you have narrowed things down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples