U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 04:05 PM

5,642 posts, read 8,807,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMD3819 View Post
The fact that both of you will have jobs before you arrive is a HUGE plus.

Naples is full of high net worth individuals and we get hurricanes!

I'm not that familiar with Delray but I lived in Boca from 81-83, then I moved to Tampa, then to Naples in 86. I loved Tampa.

The school system is in a HUGE amount of turmoil right now, and for reasons other than the economy. Naples is not a kid-friendly town. It is a town of wealthy retirees run by wealthy retirees and the political machine reflects this. Education is not a priority for these folks as their kids are grown.

That said, there are plenty of families here but the overall lifestyle favors the retired and the tourists.

Selecting your school zone is extremely important as there are differences in the quality of the schools.

We can help with areas in Naples to live once you have narrowed things down.
Totally agree. I also work in the Collier School District. It is not pretty what is happenng, both teachers AND parents are very upset about it. Nobody knows what will happen in the coming months or when/if it will get better.

I know a teacher who works in Naples, but lives in Bonita. It is not great in Lee either, but apparently, according to her, not as bad as in Collier.

Good luck.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2008, 08:16 PM

40 posts, read 178,525 times
Default care to elaborate re: school problems?

We may be relocating to Naples with a middle school aged child. I have been looking at homes in the 34109, 34110, 34119 areas (good GreatSchools.net ratings and homes in our price range ($250-350K).

Would be interested to know what is upsetting parents and teachers at the Collier Co. schools.

Thanks for any info that could help with our decision.

Old 07-24-2008, 08:31 PM

5,642 posts, read 8,807,712 times
Default I will email you privately

Quote:
Originally Posted by janp View Post
We may be relocating to Naples with a middle school aged child. I have been looking at homes in the 34109, 34110, 34119 areas (good GreatSchools.net ratings and homes in our price range ($250-350K).

Would be interested to know what is upsetting parents and teachers at the Collier Co. schools.

It's very long. In the meantime, go to the NaplesNews.com site. Put in a search on schools. It has all been in the papers for months. I can give you a few first hand examples, but I would rather not get into specific detail here and now.

It isn't just in Collier. From what I have been hearing on this and other boards, it is all over Florida this year. It's just a matter of degree from one county to another.

Sorry to seem so abrupt, but my daughter is here from NY and is leaving tomorrow. I want to spend some time with her before she leaves.

Last edited by TANaples; 07-24-2008 at 08:44 PM..

Old 07-25-2008, 05:34 AM

3,223 posts, read 7,107,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janp View Post

Those zip codes cover a lot of area. If you could be more specific with a development, school, street, area etc we can provide better advice.

You should be able to get a decent place with that budget.

Do you have employment lined up?

Old 07-25-2008, 08:14 AM

5 posts, read 12,510 times
Default Good Info

Thanks for the responses. How is Bonita Springs? I know you mentioned Lee is better than Collier, but just curious. Does anyone know anything about Delray or Boca schools?

Old 07-25-2008, 10:12 AM

Sorry to get off topic somewhat...but this thread seems to have the most info on Naples specifically (good and/or bad).

Thanks for the link (naplesnews.com)...I'll wade through some of the info there re: the schools. Have a nice visit w/your daughter!

I have never been to Naples, and my H is on his way back from a very promising interview. We would not move w/o at least his job lined up.

I have done some searching on Realtor.com. Most listings do not mention which school zones they are in, I have been going purely on zip codes. The schools in the zip codes we are looking at are:
34110 N. Naples MS;
34109 Pine Ridge MS;
34119 Oak Ridge MS.

Some of the neighborhoods with listings that looked nice:
34109 Crossings, Victoria Park, Wilshire Lakes
34110 Mango Cay, Palm River, Willoughby Acres
34119 Laurel Lakes, Pebblebrooke Lakes, Indigo Lakes

Also looking at 34120 Valencia Lakes and Country Club, which looks like you get way more house for the money, but on the map it also looks like it is built in the swamp and is a bit far from town (exp with the cost of gas).

Thanks much for any/all help/advice!

Old 07-26-2008, 07:43 AM

Here is a school zoning map: http://www.collier.k12.fl.us/parents/docs/zonesMS.pdf (broken link)

I don't have any experience directly with the public schools so I'll let someone else comment on specific schools.

All the neighborhoods listed are fine. Victoria Park, Palm River, and Willoughby Acres are all older (1960s-70s) communities. Nothing wrong with that, just that the others are newer-1980s and up.

Valencia Lakes is very nice but you have to be careful about the commute. Generally the farther east you are the better overall home value.

It would help if you could give us the general location of your employment. The commute can be hell in the winter depending on where you are.

I would also advise on renting first.

Old 07-26-2008, 10:37 AM

Thanks for the info RMD.

Office is near 3rd Ave. S and Goodlette-Frank Rd. Is traffic really that bad?? We lived in the ATL area for many years, so we know bad traffic.

Yes, renting is probably a good idea; however, we have been in a tiny apt. w/ half of our stuff in storage for ~a year (we relocated to UT and were building a house in SLC then H was laid off...ugh). Don't know how much longer I can live in temporary housing w/o my stuff. I am so ready to be settled. We may try and rent for a month or so...but still need to figure out school district. With school starting mid aug, our time lines are pretty tight...it might be a fun ride if we end up in Naples

Being so far away, I appriciate any/all info anyone can provide!

Old 07-26-2008, 09:26 PM

Yes, traffic will be absolute hell in the winter in that part of town.

I would strongly urge you to get housing as close as feasible to H's work. I realize you are looking at school districts also. The commute in/out of Old Naples is rough in the winter, especially at rush hour.

Valencia is absolutely out with that kind of commute. I can easily see that taking an hour during peak season rush hour.

All of those developments you listed are in North Naples which will still be quite a commute, although some are reasonably close to Goodlette road so it would be straight shot southbound.

Those communities are all gated except for Willoughby, Palm River and Victoria Park. I'm not positive about the Crossings or Mango Cay but it seems likely they are gated also, if that matters.

Last edited by RMD3819; 07-26-2008 at 09:30 PM.. Reason: Added info

Old 07-28-2008, 09:59 AM

103 posts, read 250,469 times
Yes, thanks for sharing the amount of the air conditioning bill. Heat bills in the NorthWest are headed up, according to the media, for those with natural gas. And, they are already high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples