U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-10-2008, 08:33 AM
 
Location: Concrete jungle where dreams are made of.
8,900 posts, read 14,505,795 times
Reputation: 1819

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
I agree, I would much rather raise my kids in the wonderful family envrionment of Queens! That's also pretty disrespectful to talk about the pay at the private schools when the OP has already basically confirmed their job. I don't know what would make you think that private schools pay any lower than the public schools anyhow...private schools in Florida typically pay high. As far as public, Collier pays like crap to my knowledge but teacher pay in Florida is actually midpack. When you factor in that the state has no income tax, your takehome pay is very similar to the national average Teacher Salaries by State. Oh and at that, the average pay was higher than Kansas. Read the post throughly before you assume something about someone you have never met before and do your research before you assume something about a state that you have never lived in before.

First off, I don't plan on raising a family in Queens. I lived in Queens as a kid and I loved it, but the city just isn't for me. There's nothing wrong with a kid living in Queens. You get to experience the most cultures out of any area in the entire country, probably world (since it's the most cultural county out of the whole country). So don't diss anyone who raises their kids in the city, because my entire family has. That sounds like a personal attack to me. Seems like you never spent any extended time there.

Teacher salaries are pitifully low there considering the cost of living. I would hate to be making 30k when houses cost 300k.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-10-2008, 08:34 AM
 
2,141 posts, read 6,599,538 times
Reputation: 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarastomsgirl View Post
It will be hot and humid in the summer.. Thats a given. Just take the proper measures to make sure you are comfortable.. A/C in Fla unlike most northern states is standard in apts/housing. You won't find one that rents without it. I could not however find one with it up north and it was needed badly!....
Hi Tara welcome back to the swamp! The hardest thing for people to do is get used to the change. South Florida is HOT!!!!!!!!!. Northern states are COLD!!! I have been in the swamp all my life but when I go past NC its Cold. People that move here have to remember with out A/C, Florida is miserable. Just as in the winter up North you have to have heat. The funny thing is we have a code that states you must have heat!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2008, 09:20 AM
 
8,376 posts, read 29,236,200 times
Reputation: 2405
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Teacher salaries are pitifully low there considering the cost of living. I would hate to be making 30k when houses cost 300k.
Did you even click on the link? Teachers in most districts here where the cost of living is high start at around 40k and peak at 70k, just a tad lower than anywhere else. Except your income isn't taxed. There are counties that start lower but they are mostly in the panhandle or north Florida which don't have a high cost of living.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
So don't diss anyone who raises their kids in the city, because my entire family has. That sounds like a personal attack to me. Seems like you never spent any extended time there.
Actually I'm from Queens (Ozone Park) and I'm surprised your offended that easily if you are too. I really didn't intend that personally at all. Not to stereotype you, but most of us tend to have a thick skinned nature. Come on, you know that Naples isn't any worse of a place to raise kids than Queens, and in fact any level headed person would say it's has many, many advantages. If we were talking about Westchester or LI that would be a different story.

Last edited by compelled to reply; 05-10-2008 at 09:40 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2008, 11:07 AM
 
Location: Concrete jungle where dreams are made of.
8,900 posts, read 14,505,795 times
Reputation: 1819
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
Did you even click on the link? Teachers in most districts here where the cost of living is high start at around 40k and peak at 70k, just a tad lower than anywhere else. Except your income isn't taxed. There are counties that start lower but they are mostly in the panhandle or north Florida which don't have a high cost of living.


Actually I'm from Queens (Ozone Park) and I'm surprised your offended that easily if you are too. I really didn't intend that personally at all. Not to stereotype you, but most of us tend to have a thick skinned nature. Come on, you know that Naples isn't any worse of a place to raise kids than Queens, and in fact any level headed person would say it's has many, many advantages. If we were talking about Westchester or LI that would be a different story.

Ok, I see your point. Glad you understand my attitude since you're from NY too lol. I wouldn't raise kids in Queens simply for the fact that they wouldn't have as much room to play, so that's why I'm going to Long Island, where I did most of my growing up.

Anyway, sorry to go off-topic, just had to clarify that.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2008, 11:21 AM
 
8,376 posts, read 29,236,200 times
Reputation: 2405
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
I wouldn't raise kids in Queens simply for the fact that they wouldn't have as much room to play
See, we think alike after all .
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2008, 05:34 PM
 
847 posts, read 3,374,980 times
Reputation: 240
I would NEVER move to Naples to get into education. I work for Collier County Schools now and am being laid off because of the cuts with the budget. The education down here is so bass ackwards, it is sad for the kids.
I know you said you might have a job but with the salary you will be making at a private school, nonetheless, and the cost of living here, no way, stay where you are. You would be better off moving to a better public school system and making a better salary.
I did not read if you were single or not, but this is NOT the place to be for a single person, unless you are 70 and retired that is.
This state is in shambles when it comes to education, do not come near it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2008, 06:10 PM
 
Location: Amherst, MA
3,636 posts, read 9,146,224 times
Reputation: 1759
Quote:
Originally Posted by novanative75 View Post
I would NEVER move to Naples to get into education. I work for Collier County Schools now and am being laid off because of the cuts with the budget. The education down here is so bass ackwards, it is sad for the kids.
I know you said you might have a job but with the salary you will be making at a private school, nonetheless, and the cost of living here, no way, stay where you are. You would be better off moving to a better public school system and making a better salary.
I did not read if you were single or not, but this is NOT the place to be for a single person, unless you are 70 and retired that is.
This state is in shambles when it comes to education, do not come near it.
I must agree with you 100%!!!!!!! It's not just the Collier schools, Lee county are no better... My daughter hates her school. Out of here in 4 months, not soon enough.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2008, 06:41 PM
 
8,376 posts, read 29,236,200 times
Reputation: 2405
What does this have to do with the OP? They clearly stated they are taking a job at a private school, moving from Kansas, which if he was taking a job at a public district, has lower wages than Florida (already proven).

PS- Latest newsflash, Florida schools ranked 12th place in the US based on accountability, and it was one of the few national school districts that did NOT lower it's standards. If your child's school or your local school district sucks, that doesn't mean the whole state sucks. You probably don't want to move to an area known as a retirement capital for good public schools anyway, you probably want to be in a city where young families are the rule and a driving force in local districts, like Tallahassee, Oviedo, or Weston to name a few.

Layoffs are occurring because that part of the state is losing families for various reasons. The only other district talking about major layoffs is Miami-Dade which is a district that has been losing students for years.

Study gives Florida C-plus for reading, math test standards -- -- South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com

OK, so no, it's not advisable to move from NY or New England to Naples for better education, but once again, what the hell does this have to do with the OP's question? It's like you all just want to wallow in your misery or push your own personal agenda instead of just replying to the OP's question.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2008, 06:57 PM
 
847 posts, read 3,374,980 times
Reputation: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
What does this have to do with the OP? They clearly stated they are taking a job at a private school, moving from Kansas, which if he was taking a job at a public district, has lower wages than Florida (already proven).

PS- Latest newsflash, Florida schools ranked 12th place in the US based on accountability, and it was one of the few national school districts that did NOT lower it's standards. If your child's school or your local school district sucks, that doesn't mean the whole state sucks. You probably don't want to move to an area known as a retirement capital for good public schools anyway, you probably want to be in a city where young families are the rule and a driving force in local districts, like Tallahassee, Oviedo, or Weston to name a few.

Layoffs are occurring because that part of the state is losing families for various reasons. The only other district talking about major layoffs is Miami-Dade which is a district that has been losing students for years.

Study gives Florida C-plus for reading, math test standards -- -- South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com

OK, so no, it's not advisable to move from NY or New England to Naples for better education, but once again, what the hell does this have to do with the OP's question? It's like you all just want to wallow in your misery or push your own personal agenda instead of just replying to the OP's question.

My point was, the OP is moving to Naples to be in the education field. Yes, I do understand that she would be working in a private school however, job security down here, especially in education, public or private, is not good. I would not advise moving her for any type of education. Should she have trouble maintaining her job at the private school, I would hate for her alternative to be working for CCPS.
Yes I do not have first hand knowledge of all schools in Florida and aside from your facts on accountability, do you? Perhaps there are other districts in this state with better schools but, as you pointed out, the OP is talking about Naples, NOT Tampa, etc.
I DO, however, have firsthand knowledge about schools in Collier County, where the OP is moving and I am very qualified to speak to the dismal state that is currently Collier County Public Schools.

You say that Florida ranked 12th in accountability and then you go on to say that it was one of the 'few National School Districts that did not lower its standards'. What district in Florida are you talking about? As you pointed out, there are several 'districts' in Florida, that statement does not make sense. As for lowering standards, the massive budget cuts are forcing Collier County to have no choice but lower standards. For example, every secondary school in Collier County will be losing at least one guidance counselor and NOT losing any students. All schools will be losing their full time ESE (special education) chairperson and now having one that comes 1-2 days per week to do the job that a full time person at each school is doing now. All title one schools are losing their parent involvement specialist, the person in the schools who was the main contact between non-English speaking parents and the school.
I could go on and on.

Again, I can read and do realize that OP is going to work in a private school however, IMO, moving to this area for ANY kind of education is not a good idea and leaves you limited with options.

Oh, and BTW, I really have no personal agenda. I honestly could care less what anyone does with their lives but would not wish moving to Naples for a career in education on my worst enemy.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2008, 07:01 PM
 
8,376 posts, read 29,236,200 times
Reputation: 2405
Quote:
Originally Posted by novanative75 View Post

You say that Florida ranked 12th in accountability and then you go on to say that it was one of the 'few National School Districts that did not lower its standards'. What district in Florida are you talking about? As you pointed out, there are several 'districts' in Florida, that statement does not make sense.
I was talking about Sunshine State Standards, which are what are supposed to be taught in every classroom. Every state has some kind of set ACADEMIC standard and Florida did not lower theirs while other states did so their schools could make "adequate yearly progress" as defined by NCLB. In other words, Florida is holding their schools accountable to improve instead of loosening the standards to make them look good. While the whole No Child Left Behind Act thing is mostly nonsense, Florida does seem to be absorbing the good aspects of it better than other states despite other challenges.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top