U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 07:04 PM

847 posts, read 3,373,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
I was talking about Sunshine State Standards, which are what are supposed to be taught in every classroom. Every state has some kind of set standard and Florida did not lower them.
Ah, SSS. Yes, hardly anything I would use to judge the state of education here on. If we have come to judging our schools based on their reliance on standardized tests (which, at the end of the day is really what SSS are all about), THAT is a sad day.

I have attended several meetings at the administrative center lately about different topics and even those high up are laughing at hole that we are in education-wise in this county.

Education is my passion and I have NEVER, in all my years of working in the field, in several states, seen anything like this.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2008, 07:07 PM

8,376 posts, read 29,216,898 times
Hmm, well I don't know anything about Collier schools but I'm not surprised to hear about the mess. I think that's typical to retiree dominated areas.

I also expanded upon my post. I agree the test is mostly a joke, but to my amazement there are 48 other states that are even bigger jokes, considering that's pretty much all America's students are absorbing. These tests are basic skills tests, meaning Florida is actually expecting it's students to know more basics than all but 11 other states. America's public schools are in a sorry state in general now...

Old 05-14-2008, 07:16 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,138,129 times
I have a positive thing about Naples... They have a Tropical Smoothie Cafe!!! None here yet, that's my positive.

Old 05-14-2008, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
Hmm, well I don't know anything about Collier schools but I'm not surprised to hear about the mess. I think that's typical to retiree dominated areas.

I also expanded upon my post. I agree the test is mostly a joke, but to my amazement there are 48 other states that are even bigger jokes, considering that's pretty much all America's students are absorbing. These tests are basic skills tests, meaning Florida is actually expecting it's students to know more basics than all but 11 other states. America's public schools are in a sorry state in general now...
They are 'expecting' the students to know more basics but do they actually know more? The short answer to that is NO!
I agree, America's schools are in a sorry state however, I was in Northern Virginia working in Fairfax County Public Schools and there was a lot of good going on there. You could not pay me to send my kids to school here in Collier County but rabid dogs could not keep me from sending my kids to Fairfax County Public Schools in Virginia.
The problem here is budget and the lack of the administration's interest in putting the money they do have to good use.

Do you know that in Florida, if you have a degree in education, any kind of education, and you take a 45 minute test in any subject and pass, you can teach that subject????? For example, I have a Masters of Education in Counseling with a guidance endorsement and if I take a middle grades math test and pass, I can teach middle school math and I have NO training as a teacher and have never taken a teaching course in my life. Can you fricking believe that?????

Old 05-14-2008, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoFLigo View Post
I have a positive thing about Naples... They have a Tropical Smoothie Cafe!!! None here yet, that's my positive.
We have two Planet Smoothies too! We may have an overabundance of undereducated kids but we got good smoothies!!

Old 05-14-2008, 07:37 PM

8,376 posts, read 29,216,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by novanative75 View Post
They are 'expecting' the students to know more basics but do they actually know more? The short answer to that is NO!
I agree, America's schools are in a sorry state however, I was in Northern Virginia working in Fairfax County Public Schools and there was a lot of good going on there. You could not pay me to send my kids to school here in Collier County but rabid dogs could not keep me from sending my kids to Fairfax County Public Schools in Virginia.
The problem here is budget and the lack of the administration's interest in putting the money they do have to good use.

Do you know that in Florida, if you have a degree in education, any kind of education, and you take a 45 minute test in any subject and pass, you can teach that subject????? For example, I have a Masters of Education in Counseling with a guidance endorsement and if I take a middle grades math test and pass, I can teach middle school math and I have NO training as a teacher and have never taken a teaching course in my life. Can you fricking believe that?????
Fairfax schools are known all over the country for their excellence. Also like I was saying, consider the demographics of Fairfax County. Mostly young affluent families. Florida has individual cities with that kind of thing but not whole counties.

I know about the test, don't they put them in there as "emergency qualified" teachers? Most states will do that, and Florida actually has a relatively low percentage of those (7%). Not sure about Collier but you can find out on GreatSchools.net.

Old 05-14-2008, 08:39 PM

3,842 posts, read 9,935,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by novanative75 View Post
You've got to be kidding me. This is allowed in the public schools?

I'm certified 7-12/history (MaEd in instructional tech SAHM now still paying off that debt!!) & could never in my wildest dreams imagine teaching, let's say, 4th grade science.

Ahh..The plight of public school education. It is even more intensified in areas such as Collier that is primarily retiree.

Old 05-14-2008, 08:42 PM

3,842 posts, read 9,935,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoFLigo View Post
NO WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dude, you are SO getting a positive rep for noting that

Maybe open one up in CC?

Old 05-14-2008, 08:49 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,138,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
NO WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dude, you are SO getting a positive rep for noting that

Maybe open one up in CC?
I wish, they are hands down the BEST!!!!!

Old 05-15-2008, 07:16 AM

141 posts, read 647,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
You've got to be kidding me. This is allowed in the public schools?

I'm certified 7-12/history (MaEd in instructional tech SAHM now still paying off that debt!!) & could never in my wildest dreams imagine teaching, let's say, 4th grade science.

Ahh..The plight of public school education. It is even more intensified in areas such as Collier that is primarily retiree.
I've heard the extreme opposite is also true. Someone I met has a PhD in history, and taught at the college level before deciding to teach high school (I don't know why she made that move). Anyway, since she never took some required history course as an undergraduate, she couldn't teach high school. Basically, she was required to re-take an undergraduate course with one of her colleagues that she had herself taught at the college level. Certainly, if you are qualified you teach at the university level, you should be qualified to teach high school.

I'm surprised, though, that you merely need to take a test to teach a subject in FL, even if you have no formal education on the subject.

Back on topic though, I don't know where all the negativity about Naples comes from. My mom lives in Naples and it's not that bad when I visit. I try to stay away during the summer, since it's very humid and NC affords better summer weather, but in the winter Naples is pretty awesome. Where else can I swim on Christmas Eve?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples