U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 08:58 AM

8,376 posts, read 29,214,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by clockwork View Post

I'm surprised, though, that you merely need to take a test to teach a subject in FL, even if you have no formal education on the subject.
They do this in NC too. You might not want to know this but 11% of the teachers in NC are on emergency qualification, except you have to dig to find that number. In Florida it's 7%. They do this in most states, usually in districts that have talent shortages or poorly run districts (I.E Collier County was 22%, ouch!). There are actually a lot of states that are worse than Florida now, but they don't have the Floriduh reputation to dwell on.

GreatSchools.net

Last edited by compelled to reply; 05-15-2008 at 09:21 AM.. Reason: wrong percentage
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2008, 09:02 AM

847 posts, read 3,373,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
They do this in NC too, in fact 11% of the teachers in NC are out of field compared to 7% of Florida. They do this in most states, usually in districts that have talent shortages or poorly run districts. There are actually a lot of states that are worse than Florida now, but they don't have the Floriduh reputation to dwell on.

GreatSchools.net
That number is MUCH higher in Collier County, the place where OP is talking about moving! Bad, bad, bad here in Naples, bad, bad, bad.

Old 05-15-2008, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by novanative75 View Post
That number is MUCH higher in Collier County, the place where OP is talking about moving! Bad, bad, bad here in Naples, bad, bad, bad.
Oh I know, I got to that. (As usual, lol) I edited my post.

Old 05-15-2008, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
Oh I know, I got to that. (As usual, lol) I edited my post.
Yes, someone very wise told me that info!!

Old 05-15-2008, 03:58 PM

8,900 posts, read 14,487,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by novanative75 View Post

Do you know that in Florida, if you have a degree in education, any kind of education, and you take a 45 minute test in any subject and pass, you can teach that subject?????

This is why NY state has some of the best teachers. NY state colleges have some of the best educations for teachers, but not only that, NY makes sure we're smart in order to be a teacher. We need to pass 3 tests ($85 each, mind you), and get basically at least a B on all of them in order to get our license. These tests are not easy. Compare that to FL...my mom works in a school in Naples and the teacher...I can't even find a word to use for her lack of intelligence. Every day my mom is shocked at how low her intelligence is. For example: A 6 year old asked where Hawaii was, and she was looking in the Atlantic and said she couldn't find it.

Old 05-15-2008, 04:03 PM

Well I have to say that kind of thing would not fly in my LOCAL district...actually my local zoned elementary school is U.S Blue Ribbon so maybe that's why lol. Point being, not ALL of Florida is like that although the NE states do set the bar higher. However, once again, the OP is coming from KANSAS. Florida, as a WHOLE, is not the WORST, but not the best.

Old 05-15-2008, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Compare that to FL...my mom works in a school in Naples and the teacher...I can't even find a word to use for her lack of intelligence. Every day my mom is shocked at how low her intelligence is. For example: A 6 year old asked where Hawaii was, and she was looking in the Atlantic and said she couldn't find it.
That is Naples education for you!

Old 05-21-2008, 06:13 PM

2 posts, read 4,669 times
Hi everyone we are a couple from Norway/ New york with 2 kids that just moved down to naples/ bonita springs about 1 month ago, we were here many times last year on vacation and loved it. I see a lot of negative posts about naples and we are right smack in the middle. We have taken the plunge knowing only one couple before we moved and basically have no friends or anything yet. I am being positive and i feel that we will be happy down here. we bought a house and hopefully we didnt make the wrong move. I hope that all the negative comments dont play in on us, i feel like there is tons of stuff to do but we just have to get involved in different clubs/churches etc.
Any advice on cool places to meet people couples preferably with kids or not?
my wife is 25 and im 32 we would love to meet other couples in the same scenario as us also if possible!

Old 05-26-2008, 08:59 AM

3 posts, read 9,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoFLigo View Post
I wish, they are hands down the BEST!!!!!
At wraps they defiantly are the best out there but defiantly not smoothies.

Knowing the growth they are showing in SW FL though you should probably be getting some in CC before to long. He's a great lead person for TSC and should help them keep growing in the wrap and sandwich market.

Old 05-26-2008, 10:21 AM

3,636 posts, read 9,137,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectfusion View Post
At wraps they defiantly are the best out there but defiantly not smoothies.

Knowing the growth they are showing in SW FL though you should probably be getting some in CC before to long. He's a great lead person for TSC and should help them keep growing in the wrap and sandwich market.
I have tried 9-10 smoothies and all were perfect. I went to planet smoothie, not as good...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples