U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2008, 01:10 AM

7 posts, read 4,983 times

Advertisements

We'll you've barely been here a year and can't stop complaining about it now. You were well aware of the situtation as far as job market before you moved down, and you preached about how much you hated the snow and cold and all that and you move down and not two months later you complain about the heat and humidity.. Bottom line is you're not going to be happy no matter where you are cause its not about where you're living its about you and what you make of it. It seems you've gone back and forth a couple times now and each time there is something to hate about each state... You have to admit going back to Mass isn't going to change the fact that come winter you're gonna hate it just as much as you did when you moved down here and had had enough of it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2008, 04:34 AM

3,636 posts, read 9,152,823 times
I have a feeling I know who this is with a new membername... And don't tell me what I want either. To me it was more of a shock with the cold. I should have stuck it out a little longer. I never said I hate the snow, quote me on that before you open your mouth. I also did not know it would be a joke here for jobs, there were some when I left this hole. I came back thinking it would be the same, NOT EVEN CLOSE.... It got worse. Some people preached about moving to New Hampshire and how great it was and hated Florida with a passion, then within a year hated it up there and came back here to preach how bad it is up there and wonderful it is here. Florida has lost its personality, and the way it is now, it's pretty sad. I will be going back, and I will be happy to get out of here. COLD OR NOT. At least I had a real job up there. Dumb for leaving it. Come on now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Come_on_now View Post
We'll you've barely been here a year and can't stop complaining about it now. You were well aware of the situtation as far as job market before you moved down, and you preached about how much you hated the snow and cold and all that and you move down and not two months later you complain about the heat and humidity.. Bottom line is you're not going to be happy no matter where you are cause its not about where you're living its about you and what you make of it. It seems you've gone back and forth a couple times now and each time there is something to hate about each state... You have to admit going back to Mass isn't going to change the fact that come winter you're gonna hate it just as much as you did when you moved down here and had had enough of it.

Old 07-02-2008, 02:54 PM

5,642 posts, read 8,814,791 times
Default If you cannot be happy here, you cannot be happy anywhere person?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoFLigo View Post
I have a feeling I know who this is with a new membername... And don't tell me what I want either. To me it was more of a shock with the cold. I should have stuck it out a little longer. I never said I hate the snow, quote me on that before you open your mouth. I also did not know it would be a joke here for jobs, there were some when I left this hole. I came back thinking it would be the same, NOT EVEN CLOSE.... It got worse. Some people preached about moving to New Hampshire and how great it was and hated Florida with a passion, then within a year hated it up there and came back here to preach how bad it is up there and wonderful it is here. Florida has lost its personality, and the way it is now, it's pretty sad. I will be going back, and I will be happy to get out of here. COLD OR NOT. At least I had a real job up there. Dumb for leaving it. Come on now!
Third new memebership, I think. The economy is now in the toilet around the country, in Florida even more so due to the housing collapse, the few jobs here disappearing (incl. civil services ones). Florida is overly dependent on transplants, tourists, and snowbirds for their economy. With the rising costs of gas and subsequently airfares, lets see what the new season brings when it costs $1200 round trip per person to vacation here. You will still get the wealthy snowbirds, but how will an average family of 4 afford that?

Additionally, when someone has to go from being a police officer to a clerical worker, with subsequent cut in pay, it cannot be "paradise" to live here either. Even with the sour economy and housing drop, I think we will need to be in an outright DEPRESSION for beach front condos in Naples to go down to $140,000!!!!!!!

I think you are making the right decision. It certainly ain't paradise without a decent paying job. Unless you want to be a vagrant beach bum, cold and snow is worth it to live a middle class existence; more so if you HAVE experienced it before.

Old 07-02-2008, 04:54 PM

3,842 posts, read 9,947,496 times
BTF : You are not going to miss the constant heat. You are not going to enjoy Feb/Mar in Mass either But, the constant heat, nope, doubt you'll miss it.
We've been in the high 70s with sun for several days. A/C hasn't been on for 2 weeks.
You'll want to see the sun & some warmth during Feb/Mar but that's probably about it.

TANaples: Why haven't you been home since your move? Have you ever thought about just moving back since your kids are grown? I doubt you want to be 1200 miles from your dh, but if it would be good for you, have you considered it? At least go back for a few weeks to rejuvinate yourself!

And BTF, you better have a job lined up in Mass before you move!

I was raised in 4 season weather but spent the past 10 years in warm climate. Never acclimated to it. Don't miss it. Didn't miss it this winter, either. I gritted out Feb/Mar b/c I'll take that over June-Oct in SWFL.

Our next door neighbor just turned 82. Still plows his own driveway when it snows & the other day I saw him up on the ladder cleaning out his gutters. They have lived in the house for 52 years & have the best outlook on life.

Hope you all find peace with yourselves no mater where you live. Weather & money, while it helps, isn't the answer

Old 07-02-2008, 05:08 PM

847 posts, read 3,376,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Come_on_now View Post
Don't listen to all the horror stories, most are here and unhappy because they were dragged here or because it didn't live up to their expectations so they're bent on making the whole place look horrible.
I will admit that I came here because we had to for my husband's job and I hated it at first. I am starting to like it a lot more and see more positives BUT there are a lot of negatives and I am so sick of everyone on here freaking out when negatives are posted and claiming that we were all 'dragged' here and that is why we do not like it.
As with any place, there are pros and cons and Naples has cons, period.

Allow us to express our opinions, because that is what they are, simply opinions that people can choose to do what they want with.

Old 07-02-2008, 06:20 PM

5,642 posts, read 8,814,791 times
121804: My younger daughter has been down here several times in the past year since we moved. My older daughter braved the flight and came down a few weeks ago. I was going to go back with my daughter last December, but we had just moved into a new house and things were very unsettled. We are not retired and have to find the time off from work. I don't want to go North in the summer. I want it to be COLD when I go. I am thinking about going up for a few days in November and maybe again when I have the two weeks off for Christmas break. I guess I should make up my mind and book the flights NOW since who knows what they will cost in a few months.

novanative75: I came here too for my husband's job. Left my grown up daughters up North. I have been here a little over a year and still feel the same way I did when I first came. I miss them and don't like it here. I absolutely HATE the weather here. I love the COLD AND SNOW. We have to stay until we can retire. Husband says he is too old to find another job, so he is sticking with the one he has.

Old 07-02-2008, 07:19 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,152,823 times
We are aren't allowed to say bad things about Florida, and especially Naples... We have to say all happy things. I mean COME_ON_NOW people... No more negatives, we must like rediculously hot weather, not hate it. It's the best... This is how we need to think from now on, ok guys?

I am ready this time to get used to the snow, cold, and all that New England brings. Last winter I just wasn't ready. I will MAKE SURE I am ready this time. I put up with this heat, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by novanative75 View Post
I will admit that I came here because we had to for my husband's job and I hated it at first. I am starting to like it a lot more and see more positives BUT there are a lot of negatives and I am so sick of everyone on here freaking out when negatives are posted and claiming that we were all 'dragged' here and that is why we do not like it.
As with any place, there are pros and cons and Naples has cons, period.

Allow us to express our opinions, because that is what they are, simply opinions that people can choose to do what they want with.

Old 07-02-2008, 07:28 PM

923 posts, read 2,916,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alatex View Post
What about crime in Naples-Marco Island ?

I'm curious about the possibility of "bargain shopping" in the next year or so for a condo in the area to rent out. Are there particular parts of town to avoid regarding crime ?
As far as 'condo complexes' stay away from Laguna Bay, aka 'Fountain
View' its on Airport Pulling Road across from Lowes. I spent a winter
there, locked in from a rental on the internet. Its was completely
misrepresented and its a DUMP !!!!

Old 07-04-2008, 10:46 PM

212 posts, read 861,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarastomsgirl View Post
Yeah I've got positive.. The weather is great.. Coming from living up north the past year (but naples for the past 24 years before that ) I can really appreciate this Fla weather.. Every morning I go to the beach and walk for an hour. We have lots to do here, water park, shopping, beaches, theaters, resturants, pier, you name it.. We're 2 hours from Tampa, 2 hours from Miami so if you can't find it here you can go elsewhere. The home prices are just ridiculously low.. Houses that were going for $500,000 last year are going for $250,000. Most people who you find talking bad about Naples either A) didn't come here by choice (spouse got relocated for job) or B) Came here, thinking they were gonna live their life like they see on commericals and realized that yes we have construction and traffic just like every other place in America..

Don't let the negativity scare you, do what makes you happy... I love it here as a "second" time around resident. Infact I'm writing this in my bathing suit with sand on my feet right now... A week ago I was miserable in 40's with light snow showers... It was a no brainer for me ....
Naples sounds great! Please, tell me more! I would love to walk along the beach for an hour every morning!

Old 07-08-2008, 02:50 PM

63 posts, read 236,130 times
Tarastomsgirl... I believe I remember you on naplesnews.com stating how glad you were to be leaving Naples and how happy you were in Keene. I'm sorry it didn't work out but welcome back.

I was forced to New England from FL many years ago and the novelty of the place wore off pretty quick. I moved to downtown Boston and went to school and it was great - for a few years. It is a great city but the weather and the darkness at 4PM in the winter coupled with being from FL and having my family here made me come back. Don't regret it at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples