Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2008, 08:48 PM

37 posts, read 214,860 times

Advertisements

Hey Guys:
My husband and I lived many years in the Port Saint Lucie West area. We were very lucky and sold our house in a mere 8mths..haha in PSL west. We watched the area boom like crazy and now there are over 5000 foreclosures in PSL alone. We took a year and traveled and have been trying to find a place that we both love! We loved Fl the fishing, boating, relaxed atmosphere but he wanted me to experience the West coast!! I hated it!! You can have alllllll of Cali! We lived in San Diego nice weather but to many damn people! We lived in Northern Cali-100 inches of snow between Dec/Jan!! BRRR!! So, I am attending school for Esthetician and he is a retired baseball player going to school for physical therapy assistant. We have been looking @ the Ft. Myers, Naples, Cape Coral area and I wanted to see if you guys could tell me if this area is different than PSL. PSL grew so fast that the roads couldn't hold all of the traffic. I can't wait to hear from you guys!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2008, 05:30 AM

2,143 posts, read 8,031,998 times
Well, Port St. Lucie is a disaster now.

Old 06-28-2008, 02:11 PM

3 posts, read 16,897 times
I can't give you too much advice, but I am in the same position as you...thinking of moving to the Naples area. We've vacationed in SW Florida for many years and loved it. My advice would be to do the same as you did in Cal., don't buy, just rent for awhile till you see if you like the area. I guess the summers are really hot though. I plan to keep my home in Ohio and live there 1/2 year. Being from the north I think it's heaven there.

Old 06-28-2008, 02:13 PM

One question to Lilybeans...why is Port St. Lucie bad now? If there was too many people there, it should be better now. Is it a pretty area?

Old 06-28-2008, 02:20 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,660,026 times
My neighbors just moved from Naples to PSL. He said real estate was cheaper there (he's an agent), got a bigger house for less money, and most of his friends from NY had moved there.

Naples is VERY HOT from May through October. You can expect 90+, with humidity, every single day. Plus there are a LOT of snowbirds. Most of the homes and condos in the community where we live are now totally boarded up for the off season.

I do agree. RENT before you make a decision. If you decide to stay and buy, you can have your pick. Prices going down, down and short sales and foreclosures galor.

Old 06-28-2008, 02:52 PM

Does it bother you about the boarding up in the off season? I think it would be nice to have the place more to yourself!! I am a little worried about the hurricanes...it it true there haven't been any in Naples in a long time?

Old 06-28-2008, 08:09 PM

2,143 posts, read 8,031,998 times
PSL is in the midst of a financial crisis. The foreclosure boom is still going strong there. Work is difficult to find. Lots of folks are just abandoning their homes.

Worse yet, the taxes are only going to cover around 80% of the city budget. The city is looking at bankruptcy. Hopefully they can avoid that, but there is no doubt that services will be cut and taxes will probably increase.

PSL is one giant bedroom community, not a town in the traditional sense, with a Main Street, etc.

Old 06-28-2008, 08:19 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,660,026 times
Default Actually I like it

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathyglo View Post
Does it bother you about the boarding up in the off season? I think it would be nice to have the place more to yourself!! I am a little worried about the hurricanes...it it true there haven't been any in Naples in a long time?
I can look out my lanai at night and it's toally dark out. No lights from the other houses and condo's. Peaceful.

Wilma was the last one. 3 years ago? I wasn't here then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples