U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 04:52 PM

317 posts, read 1,169,125 times

Advertisements

I had my third telephone interview with the SVP, Marketing today and it went great! They are flying me down next week to meet everyone...and I have to tell you..........."these native Naples floridians"....all the ones I have interviewed, have been refreshingly kind, down to earth, genuine, and professional. Very upbeat. Believe me, it has been the exact opposite with the interviews I have had here in the NJ/NY metro area. Here they have ALL been arrogant, somewhat condescending, ....why should I hire you...attitude, but not in a encouraging way.

Here is the really ironic twist that also happened today. My ex has been unemployed too. We have said that whoever gets a job first, wherever that is, that is where WE are going to raise our son. And....guess what, my EX got his actual, final job offer today here is north jersey! Literally his call came in 15 minutes before I picked up the phone for my interview. UGHHHHHH. In the divorce agreement, the only way I could move with my son out of state was if I had a job. But now it is more than that....I cringe at the thought of taking him away from his father. Yes, he left us for 2 years and took a job in Myrtle Beach, and I was getting ready to move there....but then he lost that job and came back to NJ and is once again, a strong relationship and closely bonded with our son.

I know Naples is way expensive, lots of old, "rich" folk, but for me, it IS the wildlife, nature king of Florida, yes? My passion....nature and wildlife!
It was always my first pick, until I visited and found out how much it cost to live there. Then this! I love bullfrogs, gators, eagles, herons, birds....and lush, lush, tropical environments.

Talk to me friends......whatyya think?

Thanks,

Nancy
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2007, 05:19 PM

10,748 posts, read 22,274,530 times
How old is your son? Which location has the better schools? Who has physical custody?

Trouble for people with kids, even when you are divorced, you really aren't until the kids graduate college. You gotta sort out the legal things first, then follow your dream.

Old 01-31-2007, 05:43 PM

12 posts, read 46,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy Lynne View Post
I had my third telephone interview with the SVP, Marketing today and it went great! They are flying me down next week to meet everyone...and I have to tell you..........."these native Naples floridians"....all the ones I have interviewed, have been refreshingly kind, down to earth, genuine, and professional. Very upbeat. Believe me, it has been the exact opposite with the interviews I have had here in the NJ/NY metro area. Here they have ALL been arrogant, somewhat condescending, ....why should I hire you...attitude, but not in a encouraging way.

Nancy
..........."these native Naples floridians"....

Just FYI, most people who live in Naples now are not originally from Naples. Their sunny disposition just may be caused by, the sun.

Old 01-31-2007, 08:59 PM

Default Hi Nellie and Northern (hope I got that right)

Thanks for your supportive feedback.

Just FYI, the two people I did speak to, said they were born and raised in Naples.

We have joint custody of my son...and I am not sure that even if my ex continued to be unemployed, if he would ever move -- he certainly had not proved that in the past.

If it works out......I will try it out....rent....and probably wait a while before I bring my son down...when I feel that it is either right or wrong for him...and me!

I have been unemployed for 3-4 years after a solid 25-year career. It is not easy to get a job at 50...anywhere. I don't receive much child support, so it is all my responsibility to support my son. I have lost my self confidence during this time and had begun to feel I would never be able to get back on my feet.

I will keep you posted and look forward to your continued concerns that you voice for us.

God Bless You!

Nancy

Old 01-31-2007, 09:01 PM

PS. My son is 10.......and yes, his school here is outstanding. I don't know about the schools in Florida or in Naples/Bonita Springs at all. I also have to pay my own medical insurancw which as you know, is quite a burden, $1200 just for me in NJ.

Old 01-31-2007, 09:37 PM

1,683 posts, read 7,867,764 times
Congratulations, Nancy Lynne. We are happy for you.. Keep us posted.

Old 01-31-2007, 09:55 PM

1,316 posts, read 5,573,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy lynne
My passion....nature and wildlife!
Me too!!! And yes, FL is THEE place! You'll be happy here! Welcome & best of luck!

Old 01-31-2007, 11:53 PM

13,495 posts, read 35,584,526 times
Alright Girlfriend!!! I can't tell you how happy I am for you. You sound so upbeat and so ready for this and you'll do just fine. You've given me renewed hope that Fla. does have jobs and we just have to find our right place. And hey, being over 50 is great! Just think of all the people who haven't made it as far as we have. Oh yea, we're cool.

Old 02-01-2007, 02:20 AM

168 posts, read 730,398 times
Thumbs up good work

Quote:

I have been unemployed for 3-4 years after a solid 25-year career. It is not easy to get a job at 50...anywhere.

Nancy
amen, to that, nancy. i'm in the same boat as you and i'm older. if they offer you the job, why not go ahead and take it? give it a go - you can always quit and return home, and be most likely no worse for the wear. you could look at it as a temp job (don't tell them that), work at it for a year, and then return home - all the while looking for the same type of work near where your son and ex are. this way you will have "current" experience to put on that resume, while you look for something back home. just a suggestion.

but basically, you've most likely not had a better offer recently - and you can't guarantee another offer will come along. i'd discuss all the ramifications with your son and your ex, but the final decision should be yours.

have you asked your son about living in florida? can't you work out an arrangement with dad? can your son spend the school year with dad and summers with you - and perhaps holidays also? or vice versa?

make a list - "what's important" and "what's less important" - maybe that will help sort things out in your mind. you might also include on one of those lists "can i live without this job? can i live nine months without my kid?

also, be prepared NOT to be offered the job; it's a possibility they are interviewing at least three people for the same position. it could happen, you never know. however, this sounds very very promising and you have the right to be as excited by this as you sound. don't lose that feeling; you deserve the job if you want it.

best of luck.

p.s. do they need anyone else? a writer/editor, maybe? email me.....!

Last edited by florigidge; 02-01-2007 at 02:31 AM..

Old 02-01-2007, 02:49 AM

13,395 posts, read 42,768,991 times
Quote:
...after a solid 25-year career. It is not easy to get a job at 50...anywhere.
My husband has been in the same boat these past few months.
It's been an adventure--very rollercoasterish. He's got an interview in JAX today.
Nancy, it's tricky for you with your custody situation. I hope things work out.
I am pulling for you no matter what happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples