U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 01:14 PM

136 posts, read 392,167 times

Advertisements

I am copying my reply from the other post here. We are coming down 1st week of April to look at some properties here. Wondering if theres anyone on here that actually resides in Golden Gate?? Here was my topic ?

Well I did receive a call from the Fema director in Naples. I was reading his site correctly. It seems that 14 out of the 15 properties were coming to look at are in a zone D, which he said is undetermined but will prob be considered a flood zone within 2yrs. I asked if the zones rated somehow, he said no. He even said it doesnt mean it will flood, just that flood ins is required. So I guess one takes their chances.
Is anyone on the forums here residing in Golden Gate??
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2009, 02:30 PM

376 posts, read 1,712,240 times
I don't live in Golden Gate, but have friends who do, all over in Golden Gate. (Its a really big subdivision) It sounds like you may be looking at properties in Southern or Southeastern Golden Gate. You have to remember that Golden Gate is partially in the Everglades, so....you take your chances. All parts of Collier County will flood given enough rain, wind, etc.. its not just during hurricanes. Sheet flow has been a problem out in the estates, because many of the old canals had been either abandoned, blocked and the gates that control water flow into the canals were not being managed correctly ....but they are trying to rectify that. Southwest Florida Water Management manages the canals I think, and I understand they are working on the problems.

Old 09-09-2009, 02:49 PM

49 posts, read 139,480 times
I will be down in October to look at some properties in GGE~~ ANYONE out there that lives there? A lot of foreclosures from what I see. Has that become a big problem there? With robberies & the like?

Old 09-09-2009, 03:08 PM

917 posts, read 2,429,968 times
jlawr posted a few times after they moved down to Golden Gate. Said they liked the area a lot.

Would love to know how things worked out for them employment wise.

Old 09-09-2009, 03:24 PM

Can't seem to find those posts, hopefully he (or she) sees this.

Old 09-09-2009, 03:50 PM

Hellooooooo,
Yes we have been here for 4 mo's now. We really do like Naples alot. The beaches are great & tons of places to eat.
Traffic here does not bother us in the least. Everyone says wait till all the snowbirds come & also vacationers, but coming from the Philadelphia area, this is a walk in the park.
As far as crime, our area is patrolled alot & havent really heard of anything too bad. I know I watch the news nightly and everything seems to be centered in Ft Myers. I am glad we decided against that area.
Now for the employment scenario. Its REALLY bad here. Luckily we have no mortgage since we did buy a foreclosure so the price was rock bottom. My husband has stopped his masonry, forget that trade, and has gone back in to security, force protection. He seems to be having luck with that.
We have found the people very friendly here also. Alot of posts state the unfriendliness here, but we havent found that.
Only thing I advise Joy is check alot of properties in GGE. We found alot were in really bad shape from sitting. We had to throw some $$ in here, but not too bad. We have a 3 bedroom, 2 bath on 2 1/2 acres.

Old 09-09-2009, 04:00 PM

Nice~ Where about are you? We plan on looking at a lot of places there. This would be a second home for us, maybe move there permanently in 5 years or so. It's an appealing area with the big lots, right now we live on a few acres & wouldn't want it any other way. I'll give up the beach for space. Thanks!

Old 09-09-2009, 04:08 PM

917 posts, read 2,429,968 times
jlawr,
thanks for the up date. Good to hear from you.

I didn't think the masonry business would work out. Too much cheap competition and not much work going on anyway. Good thing he had an alternative occupation. Not everybody does.

I'm glad it's all working out for you.

Old 09-09-2009, 04:30 PM

Thanks Tommy. Joy we are in the NE quadrant of GGE. Spread out houses, all seem well kept. Were only a short ride to the beaches, 20-30 mins so we definitely want the yard over the beach, its close enough. I do still have a goal to get the area in the back fenced and get a few animals, but all in time.
My husband & I have decided when the market comes back down the road, we'll have our money invested & we can always move back toward north again, but we are definitely liking the weather. I cant wait for winter when all my friends are complaining of snow, cold & ice & I will tell em "come on down for a visit" : )

Old 09-10-2009, 06:12 AM

3,211 posts, read 7,061,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy12345 View Post
I will be down in October to look at some properties in GGE~~ ANYONE out there that lives there? A lot of foreclosures from what I see. Has that become a big problem there? With robberies & the like?
I live in GGE. There is a problem with unoccupied homes being burglarized for the appliances etc. I do not feel unsafe at all because of this.

I saw in your other post this would be a second home. You would need a tenant to help avoid the vacant house look. It may not be easy to rent it out. There are very few snowbirds in GGE.

What else do you want to know?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples