Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 07:22 AM

12 posts, read 25,933 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
My two cents as a New Yorker who lives in Naples. I never intended to stay and and such I have no intention to put down roots here. I really do not care what is happening in Naples (sports teams or anything else). I suppose I feel about the same way a tourist, or even a snowbird might feel.

As far as the South or Confederate flags, this applies to Naples?????? This place is nothing but a tropical resort playground for rich snowbirds from November through March. It ain't the South. In 2 years living in Naples. I have met THREE native Floridians. Most of the people I have met in Naples are from MICHIGAN, not from New York. I-75 goes to the MIDWEST, not the East Coast.
I agree with you Naples does not have a southern idenity. however, most of the rest of the state with the exception of the miami area does have a southern culture. The previous poster Kathy is what most floridians do not like about northerners. I would never ever move to the northeast and try and chnge the people up north. I would also never move to new york and bring my southern views up there and than tell the local new yorkers to move if they dont like my southern views...... wow arraogant she is

Old 09-26-2009, 07:26 AM

12 posts, read 25,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyA11 View Post
There you go -- you're still fighting the Civil War.

There's not much more I can say to you, then. Bye.
Kathy when Americans want to honor soldiers from WWII or Vietnam, or the Korean War etc... How come you dont tell those people wow you are still fighting the above war?????? We can honor all of the soldiers from every war with the exception of the civil war????? Kathy you seem have way educated, check out the book "the south was right" and you will find some interesting facts on the civil war.... The facts can all be checked for accuracy as well and than maybe you will understand the southern people a little better! just a thought.

Old 09-26-2009, 07:31 AM

3 posts, read 2,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericn11 View Post
Wow we agree on something Kathy (lol). South Florida does not have a southern culture however, the rest of the state does have a southern culture. all of the inland counties are southern even cities like Tampa have a southern culture. Did you know Tampa has the world's biggest Confederate flag flaying on I-75????? Kathy you really do not know much about Florida ,do ya??? Most transplants from other states besides the northeast would never tell a local floridian to move out of his home state. Unlike people from the northeast the other transplants understand our culture. Yes, Florida was in the civil war and we have huge confederate heritage in this state. IF you would bother to leave south florida you would see that Florida does indeed have a huge confederate heritage throughout the rest of the state! YOU ACTUALLY PROVED MY POINT!!!!!! YOU TELL ME (A NATIVE FLORIDIAN) TO CHANGE MY ATTITUDE OR LEAVE????? REALLY!!!! THIS IS MY STATE BORN AND RAISED AND YOU TELL ME TO CHANGE? THIS IS THE PROBEM MOST FLORIDIANS HAVE WITH PEOPLE FROM THE NORTHEAST. HOW DARE YOU TELL ME TO LEAVE BECAUSE I DONT ACCEPT YOUR NASTY YANKEE ATTITUDE. PLEASE STAY IN SOUTH FLORIDA BECAUSE YOU WOULD HAVE MAJOR ISSUES IF YOU MOVED ANYWHERE ELSE IN THE STATE OF FLORIDA AND TOLD PEOPLE FLORIDA IS NOT A SOUTHERN STATE AND THAN YOU TELL THE NATIVE FLORIDIANS TO LEAVE AND MOVE OUT OF OUR OWN STATE. WOW PEOPLE FROM THE NORTHEAST ARE REALLY RUDE AND REFUSE TO ADAPT TO THE SOUTHERN WAYS...... NEXT TIME YOU ARE IN TAMPA JUST DRIVE DOWN I-75 AND YOU WILL SEE THE CONFEDERATE FLAG FLYING FROM 5 MILES DOWN THE ROAD! YOU TRY AND TELL THESE PEOPLE FROM TAMPA THAT THEY ARE NOT SOUTHERN AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS. WOW YOU ARE REALLY IGNORANT TO SAY FLORIDA IS NOT SOUTHERN...... WE HAD PLENTY OF ANCESTORS DIE FIGHTING FOR THIS SOUTHERN STATE DURING THE CIVIL WAR! ANYWAY DRIVE INTO TAMPA AND LOOK AT THIS FLAG. YOU WILL ALSO SEE MANY MANY CONFEDERATE HERITAGE FLAGS FLYING ALL OVER THIS GREAT STATE OF FLORIDA WITH THE EXCEPTION OF SOUTHERN FLORIDA WHERE ITS FULL OF RUDE PEOPLE FROM THE NORTHEAST.

Kathy you are the arrogant one. you come to Florida and tell the natives to adapt to the culture of the northeast??? Well, we are not in the northeast Kathy! You moved into my state you should be the one who needs to change not us native floridians or other transplants who have adopted our culture. IF you dont like this southern state move back up north! You call me arrogant for not liking people like you who think I need to change to the ways of the northeast. Well Kathy I would agree with you if I lived in the northeast, but i dont!!!! I live in the southern state of florida so i will never adapt to the way of the northeast. really you are arrogant to even make this type of statement.
Wow!!! Great reply. I live north of Tampa have for 17 years and I have adapted to the southern culture of this great state! Florida is a great southern state with the exception of the people from the Northeast!!!!

Old 09-26-2009, 07:31 AM

14 posts, read 30,806 times
TANaples,

Being a native Floridian, and only been to Naples a time or two, how do you feel the FL natives treat you (as a NY'er) and others in Naples, compared to the folks from NY that live there?

PS - I do agree with some of the things EricN11 is saying, but I'd tone it down a bit.

Old 09-26-2009, 07:35 AM

3 posts, read 2,276 times
Quote:
As so many people here have said -- Florida isn't the South.

And maybe it's your attitude -- change to be like us or go away -- that people from the Northeast don't like. And you tell us we're arrogant.
Really, you think we should move out of our own state.... I dont live in the Northeast so why in the heck would I change to be like you????? Wow lady you are really arrogant!!!!! You wonder why others can not stand people from the Northeast! Please stay in south Florida, which is know a horrible place to live because of you people from the Northeast. God bless the land of Dixie whch starts north of Sarasota!!!!!!

Old 09-26-2009, 09:31 AM

2,954 posts, read 12,303,804 times
Quote:
Kathy I refuse to have a New Yorker tell me my Confederate flag is wrong and should not fly..... well welcome to the south! I will not shut my mouth when I see all of the New Yorkers being rude and just being plain nasty to us local southerners. If you want to come on down by all means do so but try to adapt to our culture instead of saying you people are wrong and us New Yorkers do things the right way.... well go the heck back up north if you dont like it down here. You all yankees forget Florida is indeed in the south!
And you forget you lost the damn war. And that your flag is a symbol of not only racism but treason. And that the Constitution guarantees the right to move wherever one wishes within the UNITED STATES, which is the nation that Florida is part of. And that it also guarantees the right to say whatever you want, so anyone relocating to your state can speak their mind and you can speak yours right back. If that's just a little too much freedom for you, leave the country again. I won't miss you.

The culture in the Northeast differs from that in the South and in the Midwest in that people are less likely to engage in "friendly" chatter in public with complete strangers. I have encountered many southern transplants to NYC who do not "adapt" to the way things are done here, but instead run their mouths at whoever is standing next to them on the grocery line, as if I feel like having a 5-minute conversation with someone I've never seen before in my life.

Old 09-26-2009, 09:49 AM

2,930 posts, read 7,060,311 times
Quote:
YOU ACTUALLY PROVED MY POINT!!!!!! YOU TELL ME (A NATIVE FLORIDIAN) TO CHANGE MY ATTITUDE OR LEAVE????? REALLY!!!! THIS IS MY STATE BORN AND RAISED AND YOU TELL ME TO CHANGE? THIS IS THE PROBEM MOST FLORIDIANS HAVE WITH PEOPLE FROM THE NORTHEAST. HOW DARE YOU TELL ME TO LEAVE BECAUSE I DONT ACCEPT YOUR NASTY YANKEE ATTITUDE. t
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaconfederate2009 View Post
Really, you think we should move out of our own state.... I dont live in the Northeast so why in the heck would I change to be like you????? Wow lady you are really arrogant!!!!! You wonder why others can not stand people from the Northeast! Please stay in south Florida, which is know a horrible place to live because of you people from the Northeast. God bless the land of Dixie whch starts north of Sarasota!!!!!!
She was quoting what a Southern would say, not her opinion, and for the "rude person"that Kathy is supposed to be, at least Kathy has not turned her caps on.

Quote:
As so many people here have said -- Florida isn't the South.

And maybe it's your attitude -- change to be like us or go away -- that people from the Northeast don't like. And you tell us we're arrogant.

Old 09-26-2009, 09:52 AM

14 posts, read 30,806 times
[quote=holden125;10929728]And you forget you lost the damn war. And that your flag is a symbol of not only racism but treason. And that the Constitution guarantees the right to move wherever one wishes within the UNITED STATES, which is the nation that Florida is part of. And that it also guarantees the right to say whatever you want, so anyone relocating to your state can speak their mind and you can speak yours right back. If that's just a little too much freedom for you, leave the country again. I won't miss you.

The culture in the Northeast differs from that in the South and in the Midwest in that people are less likely to engage in "friendly" chatter in public with complete strangers. I have encountered many southern transplants to NYC who do not "adapt" to the way things are done here, but instead run their mouths at whoever is standing next to them on the grocery line, as if I feel like having a 5-minute conversation with someone I've never seen before in my life.[/quote]

Tell us how you really feel. Wow! NYC and Mass. is probably better suited for you.

Old 09-26-2009, 11:07 AM

1,288 posts, read 2,893,094 times
Quote:
Wow we agree on something Kathy (lol). South Florida does not have a southern culture however, the rest of the state does have a southern culture. all of the inland counties are southern even cities like Tampa have a southern culture. Did you know Tampa has the world's biggest Confederate flag flaying on I-75????? Kathy you really do not know much about Florida ,do ya??? Most transplants from other states besides the northeast would never tell a local floridian to move out of his home state. Unlike people from the northeast the other transplants understand our culture. Yes, Florida was in the civil war and we have huge confederate heritage in this state. IF you would bother to leave south florida you would see that Florida does indeed have a huge confederate heritage throughout the rest of the state! YOU ACTUALLY PROVED MY POINT!!!!!! YOU TELL ME (A NATIVE FLORIDIAN) TO CHANGE MY ATTITUDE OR LEAVE????? REALLY!!!! THIS IS MY STATE BORN AND RAISED AND YOU TELL ME TO CHANGE? THIS IS THE PROBEM MOST FLORIDIANS HAVE WITH PEOPLE FROM THE NORTHEAST. HOW DARE YOU TELL ME TO LEAVE BECAUSE I DONT ACCEPT YOUR NASTY YANKEE ATTITUDE. PLEASE STAY IN SOUTH FLORIDA BECAUSE YOU WOULD HAVE MAJOR ISSUES IF YOU MOVED ANYWHERE ELSE IN THE STATE OF FLORIDA AND TOLD PEOPLE FLORIDA IS NOT A SOUTHERN STATE AND THAN YOU TELL THE NATIVE FLORIDIANS TO LEAVE AND MOVE OUT OF OUR OWN STATE. WOW PEOPLE FROM THE NORTHEAST ARE REALLY RUDE AND REFUSE TO ADAPT TO THE SOUTHERN WAYS...... NEXT TIME YOU ARE IN TAMPA JUST DRIVE DOWN I-75 AND YOU WILL SEE THE CONFEDERATE FLAG FLYING FROM 5 MILES DOWN THE ROAD! YOU TRY AND TELL THESE PEOPLE FROM TAMPA THAT THEY ARE NOT SOUTHERN AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS. WOW YOU ARE REALLY IGNORANT TO SAY FLORIDA IS NOT SOUTHERN...... WE HAD PLENTY OF ANCESTORS DIE FIGHTING FOR THIS SOUTHERN STATE DURING THE CIVIL WAR! ANYWAY DRIVE INTO TAMPA AND LOOK AT THIS FLAG. YOU WILL ALSO SEE MANY MANY CONFEDERATE HERITAGE FLAGS FLYING ALL OVER THIS GREAT STATE OF FLORIDA WITH THE EXCEPTION OF SOUTHERN FLORIDA WHERE ITS FULL OF RUDE PEOPLE FROM THE NORTHEAST.

Kathy you are the arrogant one. you come to Florida and tell the natives to adapt to the culture of the northeast??? Well, we are not in the northeast Kathy! You moved into my state you should be the one who needs to change not us native floridians or other transplants who have adopted our culture. IF you dont like this southern state move back up north! You call me arrogant for not liking people like you who think I need to change to the ways of the northeast. Well Kathy I would agree with you if I lived in the northeast, but i dont!!!! I live in the southern state of florida so i will never adapt to the way of the northeast. really you are arrogant to even make this type of statement.
Go back and read my original post. I didn't tell you to leave -- I said that was your attitude about transplants.

Go back and read my post yet again -- I said we haven't left NJ yet.

I guess that master's degree isn't in reading comprehension, is it?

Old 09-26-2009, 11:09 AM

1,288 posts, read 2,893,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaconfederate2009 View Post
You're another one who needs to read with more care. I didn't tell anyone to move away. The dashes in my post set off a parenthetical expression that I was attributing to the OP. Go back and read it again.

Now, please stop attributing things to me that I never said, and read what people actually say, rather than reading your own agenda into their words.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples