Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 01:33 AM

1,530 posts, read 3,789,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by firsttimeowner View Post
I almost closed on a home in Naples last month. Swayed buy the status of having a Naples zip code.....lol.because Naples is well you know much better than the rest of florida. Thank God I backed out after being lyied to buy the realtor who claimed of course its Safe in GG estates. Just a few grow houses which didnt phaze me. Dont buy in Lehigh or the Cape I was told. Got me a deal 50k off asking on a new home. Than I saw the real story. Crime. Lots of it and a police force who didnt seem to be able to control it. Maybe the people in the Estates were not rich enough. Maybe crime is just too rampent and why is it so different to be in a Naples zip code if your basically in just as rural as place a Lehigh and the police are no better. I was REALLY surprised with what I saw . I didnt find anyone mean or snoby but I am sure they could be. That how most rich Jewish people are from new england. They have a certain sence of privelage. I guess I can be that way at times and I think it gets ingrained early in life. I see it but I hate it. I sure hope I meet some normal agerage people when I mover there. Not everyone can be like that in all of Florida. Right?
Umm one section of GG backs up to a landfill, right? And it's demographics tend to indicate it might be a crime or at least a problem spot, LOL!

Wealth in Florida, naturally, clusters near the water, with some exceptions like Wellington over in the Palm Beaches that's inland.

Sorry dude, but the reality of Florida as I know it is heavily two class. Out of town, old, or "jet set multi residence" money owns all the prime spots. Most middle class areas aren't too far from "the hood". Look on the map at the location of West Palm Beach and Palm Beach Island. On is on the "Richest List" the other, "Most Dangerous".

It's like this in many areas of Florida. I speculate it's the geographic holdover of redlining as a mortgage practice.

Old 06-14-2009, 07:54 AM

552 posts, read 592,396 times
[quote=compelled to reply;9282377]Yes, tons of New Yorkers and Hispanics in Naples after all. I didnt say "Naples", my example was about Florida in general. I told the OP that it's not just a Naples problem but a FL problem. I agree with the folks that live there that say the people in Naples are rude and inconsiderate. It's a bunch of old grouchy, wealthy retirees who think they are entitled to anything and everything. They're grouchy retirees from up north and the midwest, plain and simple. And Native Floridians all drive wonderfully I never said that. All I can go by are the natives I know, including myself, my wife, and other family members, and NONE of us act like this on the roads - I guarantee it. and are moving to North Carolina where everyone is friendly because MULTIPLE people on the internet said everyone is friendly there. "Multiple" meaning the thousands and thousands that moved there? You havent spent much time there, so you dont know. I have, and I could meet a new person daily who was from FL and enjoyed getting out of S FL, Tampa, Orlando, etc... What, is everyone that moved there supposed to inform you on the internet? Also, illegal Mexicans are OK as long as they live in North Carolina where they are friendly and build cheap homes for hoards of malcontents. I never once said I had a problem with Mexicans. Go back and read any of my posts. Not once have I complained about Mexicans.

Anyway, not sure what origin or south(east) Fl has to do with this thread, so back to the OP, your original expectations seemed extremely high. This tends to lead to disappointment.

Like I said, when you hear things over and over again, dont you think there's some truth to it? "NC's are friendly", "people in S FL are rude", etc... I've lived both places, I can tell you there is truth to it. But of course there are nice people in S FL and of course there are unfriendly people in NC.

Deputies: Road rage leads to shooting in Volusia....."Wiener was westbound in a pickup at 3:38 p.m. when he cut off Alvarado's pickup, investigators said. That's when Alvarado pulled next to Wiener and pumped a round into the other truck, they said. The bullet pierced the driver's door and hit Wiener, who drove to a relative's house nearby and was taken by ambulance to Halifax Health Medical Center in Daytona Beach." Now do people do this in NC?
Deputies: Road rage leads to shooting in Volusia -- OrlandoSentinel.com (http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/breakingnews/orl-bk-road-rage-shooting-volusia-061309,0,5978775.story - broken link)

Last edited by Scientifical Madness; 06-14-2009 at 08:12 AM..

Old 06-14-2009, 08:00 AM

2,414 posts, read 5,400,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMadison View Post

Wealth in Florida, naturally, clusters near the water, with some exceptions like Wellington over in the Palm Beaches that's inland.

Don't forget Islesworth, Windermere, Winter Park

Old 06-14-2009, 08:07 AM

I find it weird that she says she chose Naples "for its demographics", but was surprised at snobby rich people and materialism. What was she expecting?

Old 06-14-2009, 08:27 AM

1,217 posts, read 2,835,513 times
Quote:
That how most rich Jewish people are from new england. They have a certain sence of privelage.
You are WAY off-base. And prejudiced. Jewish people have nothing to do with Naples rudeness. I grew up, lived with and know many Jews. Naples is rude with no religious affiliations except the god of Money.

Please don't bring your bigotry to the discussion.

Old 06-14-2009, 08:36 AM

1,217 posts, read 2,835,513 times
wildpalm
For reasons you state we sold our Naples home and moved to another part of Florida where we are surrounded by "normal" people. I know they didn't all vote the way I did (50/50 last pres. election) and we don't all think alike but they are normal. Naples was just plain weird.

And for the poster that said you made a mistake by not renting/visiting first before moving, that didn't work for us. We visited for 5 years, longer and longer each time (6 months) before committing to buy and only realized the true rudeness/weirdness after living full-time.

If you haven't experienced it it is hard to describe. Kind of passive/aggressive from Midwesterners, all-out aggressive/nasty from rich northerners and crazy aggressive from locals trying to speed from one job to another just to make a living.

The "cachet" of Naples has attracted a whole lot of social climbers with a superiority complex of all financial levels. All I can say is they are weird.

But we are free at last..thank God Almighty.

Old 06-14-2009, 09:18 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,898,943 times
Quote:
That how most rich Jewish people are from new england. They have a certain sence of privelage. I guess I can be that way at times and I think it gets ingrained early in life. I see it but I hate it. I sure hope I meet some normal agerage people when I mover there. Not everyone can be like that in all of Florida. Right?
I think you should check out Palm Beach County, especially Boca Raton. It seems to be just what you are looking for.

Old 06-14-2009, 09:33 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,361,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
Naples lives and breathes for OLD PEOPLE. Actually, SNOWBIRD old people to be exact. Everything revolves around SEASON. Come November you can feel it in the air. Stores are gearing up. Activities are in the making. It's SNOWBIRD time. From about November through March, it is how Naples survives ALL YEAR.

Traffic becomes a NIGHTMARE. The beaches, restaurants, hotels, stores, are packed. March starts to slow down. By April it is gone. The businesses count their money to see how much was made for this "season". Then restaurants are empty. Many shut their doors or cut back their hours. Naples becomes a ghost town in summer.
Reverse the seasons, and you have just described every single "shore" town from New Jersey to Maine.

Nothing unique to Naples at all.

Old 06-14-2009, 10:16 AM

5,643 posts, read 9,658,081 times
Default Those shore towns have a median age of 62?

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Reverse the seasons, and you have just described every single "shore" town from New Jersey to Maine.

Nothing unique to Naples at all.
Doubt that. Are those shore towns retirement havens? Doubt that too. We are talking specifically about Naples. Old, rich, snowbirds, and retirees. Those other places are none of the above. If they are decended upon in the summer months it is by young singles and young families, not necessarily RICH ones either, and the majority are LOCALS of that particular or surrounding states. You will not be driving and see license plates from states half way across the country.

Last edited by TANaples; 06-14-2009 at 10:26 AM..

Old 06-14-2009, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagardener View Post
You are WAY off-base. And prejudiced. Jewish people have nothing to do with Naples rudeness. I grew up, lived with and know many Jews. Naples is rude with no religious affiliations except the god of Money.

Please don't bring your bigotry to the discussion.
I didn't realize Naples had a large Jewish community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples