Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2009, 03:27 AM

1,288 posts, read 2,893,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
I hope it STAYS like that.

Why? You don't live here. Don't wish weather ick on the people in a different state. This is horrible weather -- rain, cold -- baseball games are getting rained out, you can't enjoy your yard -- not to mention what it's doing to our roses, which hate this damp and rainy weather. It feels like Seattle. June is a gorgeous month in New Jersey -- and it's not living up to what it should be.

Sorry. I usually go back to visit in the Fall and Winter, but my daughter is getting married in July.

As recompense for your comment above -- I hope it's typical July weather. Sorry, but you brought it on yourself....

Oh well, it HAS to be cooler there than here. The heat index reached 105 today.

But you knew that when you moved, right? What do you expect in Florida?

Old 06-18-2009, 06:30 AM

5,643 posts, read 9,661,046 times
Why? You don't live here. Don't wish weather ick on the people in a different state. This is horrible weather -- rain, cold -- baseball games are getting rained out, you can't enjoy your yard -- not to mention what it's doing to our roses, which hate this damp and rainy weather. It feels like Seattle. June is a gorgeous month in New Jersey -- and it's not living up to what it should be.

Neither of my daughters have complained and they LIVE there. It never bothered me either when I lived there, and it won't when I move back. You can't please everyone. When you move to Florida, you will be very happy that it doesn't rain for MONTHS and MONTHS and MONTHS.

As recompense for your comment above -- I hope it's typical July weather. Sorry, but you brought it on yourself....

Typical July weather might include rain, remember I lived in NY for 58 years, but at least the odds are the heat index won't be 105 degrees. No, my daughter wouldn't like rain on her wedding, but I doubt she would like 105 degree heat index in a long sleeve gown either.

But you knew that when you moved, right? What do you expect in Florida?

Of course, I knew and that is why I never wanted to come back. I didnt chose to come back. Circumstances in life. That is why I will leave for MY retirement.

Old 06-18-2009, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
Neither of my daughters have complained and they LIVE there.

Then they must like cold and nasty weather. OTOH, all the people I work with, or come into contact with (and since I work with the public -- that's a good number of people) are sick and tired of nasty weather. This is NJ -- not Seattle.

It never bothered me either when I lived there, and it won't when I move back. You can't please everyone. When you move to Florida, you will be very happy that it doesn't rain for MONTHS and MONTHS and MONTHS.

No, I don't think so -- gardens and aquifers need water. I'm not happy when NJ has drought conditions, either. But this is not June weather for this area of the country.

Typical July weather might include rain, remember I lived in NY for 58 years, but at least the odds are the heat index won't be 105 degrees.

Don't bet on it. it was over 100 degrees the day I was born in July of 1955, according to my mother -- and I well remember many July days that were way over 95 (July 4th, 1983 -- the day Jim Abbott threw his no-hitter in Yankee Stadium -- was one of them). Sitting in the upper deck in Yankee Stadium when it's close to 100 is an experience.

No, my daughter wouldn't like rain on her wedding,

It's supposed to be good luck. It rained on my parents' wedding day, and they were very happy for nearly 54 years, until my father passed.

but I doubt she would like 105 degree heat index in a long sleeve gown either.

Not for nothin', but why choose a long-sleeved gown for a July wedding?

Of course, I knew and that is why I never wanted to come back. I didnt chose to come back. Circumstances in life. That is why I will leave for MY retirement.

And I'm leaving for mine.

I hope you're happier in NY than you apparently are in Florida.

Old 06-19-2009, 10:02 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyA11 View Post
And I'm leaving for mine.

I hope you're happier in NY than you apparently are in Florida.
Kathy:

I just looked back on a few of your posts to see where you are going. I think you will enjoy Ocala. When we were moving out of state we were struck by how pretty it seemed around there. My husband and I both commented on it.

Naples, and southwest Florida in general, is an odd little area. It is nowhere near where you are moving to. Florida is a big state and there are lots of nice places.

I lived in Orlando in the late 90s and actually liked it and the people. I guess it's changed, but it still had a southern feel back then; at least where I lived. So my point is that this was a thread about Naples and it just won't affect you.

I want to wish you a safe trip and happy retirement. I hope that the warmer weather will make you and your husband feel much better.

Old 06-20-2009, 12:44 AM

3 posts, read 15,263 times
Cool About Naples

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildpalm View Post
Ten years ago, I chose to relocate to Naples, Florida. I, like so many others, was immediately wowed by the wonderful subtropical weather, and natural beauty of the region. I consciously chose Naples over Florida's east coast, based on the demographic, and the relatively small population, thinking that life would be, "laid back". Literally, from the very first day I moved into town, my ideal image was shattered. I was so surprised to see how blatantly hostile the average resident was, and furthermore, how incredibly impatient most residents were. I'm not only referring to the resident wealthy, or the "snow birds", I'm talking about the average person you will run into on the street or in a store. Driving in Naples has been described as a blood sport for good reason. The road rage is serious here. I've witnessed people screaming at each other from their cars, lots of middle fingers, constant blaring horns in season, and even the occasional fight- yes, I've seen guys get out of their cars, and on one occasion, a guy even took a baseball bat out of his trunk to threaten another hostile driver in the road during rush hour. Need to merge? Forget it. Trying to get out of an establishment on a busy US 41? F-U. Do you stop at red lights before making a right turn? You'll get the horn, and probably more. Do you drive the speed limit, or slightly over? The average driver here will tale-gate you mercilessly, flash their lights, and honk, then pass you at high speed, deliberately cutting you off to make you think they are going to collide with you, glaring at you the whole time. That's the REAL Naples.

Ironically, I've had a number of relocated individuals- nearly always from the Northeast or Midwest, tell me that this place is "paradise". I cannot imagine what hell life there must be like, if this is paradise to them. Most people who have been here for more than a few years, such as myself, can attest- this is NO PARADISE! Now, to make things clear- I am a very well educated professional, I own a home here, I own a small business, and have friends in Naples. I'm connected to the community, and know first-hand the in's and out's of living here. I cannot imagine how much harder life must be for those who have a lower income. I can tell you this with the utmost honesty- you must be wealthy to live in Naples, or you will work yourself to death to have a decent lifestyle. If you serve others in a restaurant, work in a retail establishment, or provide any domestic service, God help you. The rich here love the showy display of their wealth. That alone isn't enough for many of them. They like to stare at you, glare at you, look down on you, and put you "in your place". You get fingers snapped at you, threatened in numerous ways, and generally treated as an inferior being. I have a great many friends who work in these fields, and I cannot tell you the number of horror stories. It's unreal how many of the locals behave. Of course, not everyone is so cruel, but I can attest- it is real, and very sad.

There are positive aspects to living in Naples, and it wouldn't be fair if I did not mention them. However, please realize that the positive aspects of living in Naples, Florida are primarily superficial, and not meaningful. The standard of living is extremely high. Housing is abundant, if not quite expensive. The recreational activities are abundant, however, many public marinas have disappeared, and now it's becoming increasingly difficult to launch or rent a boat. The beaches are truly beautiful, however, the surrounding waters of the Gulf of Mexico are increasingly polluted with runoff from the God knows how many golf courses and mansions with chemically treated landscapes. As a result of this environmental onslaught, the gulf beaches are not what they once were. The water is murky, and Red Tide (a condition in which marine life dies and piles up on the beaches to decay due to a toxic algae), is on the rise. The community is quite small. The population of permanent residents is unbelievably small. Check out the US Census details. Unfortunately, when tourist season arrives, the number of tourists dwarfs the local population so much, that life here becomes surreal. It's like moving to another, severely overpopulated town with an undersized infrastructure. Think, traffic jams, long commutes over short distances, and constant accidents. The sound of sirens is the prevalent ambient sound of tourist season.

There is so much more to add, but I'm curious what others think. I'd rather find out what other local residents think, but it might be interesting to contrast that with opinions of tourists. I can draw from my own experiences, and tell you right away that when I used to come here as a tourist, my impression of life in Naples was far from accurate. I'm also sure that there will be those with vastly contrasting experiences. There's always someone here who thinks this town is paradise, as I mentioned in the onset of this thread.

Hey...I live in Naples..its not as bad as YOU paint it..and I was born here..43 years ago. I have waited tables,done hair, and worked in a hospital here..and the rude people are people like you who come down and bash us. We used to be paradise..until developers came with their greedy grubby hands and took away paradise...They paved paradise and put up a parking lot. I am going to leave Naples but not due to rude people...there are rude people everywhere but because I am burned out of this town. It has nothing new to offer me. Everyone says its so beautiful..but they didn't know Naples before it was bulldozed. Pre Ritz, Pre Registry, they have taken all the history away..I am suprised the old chamber of commerce building is still there...No its not the people who are rude...if you stop at a red light know the rules..if your turning and in a turning lane then turn dammit..we don't care how its done in Ohio..YOU CAN TURN ON RED HERE...and some people have to work and get there..so if you want to stop and check out that palm tree do it a little faster. If your canadian or german don't blame your "we don't tip in our country b/s" on us because we know you know how to tip. If we recognize you again and you stiffed us beware...any way...its Not the people from Naples who are rude its the people who come to Naples that make us rude...

Old 06-20-2009, 08:35 AM

552 posts, read 592,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystacall View Post
Hey...I live in Naples..its not as bad as YOU paint it..and I was born here..43 years ago. I have waited tables,done hair, and worked in a hospital here..and the rude people are people like you who come down and bash us. We used to be paradise..until developers came with their greedy grubby hands and took away paradise...They paved paradise and put up a parking lot. I am going to leave Naples but not due to rude people...there are rude people everywhere but because I am burned out of this town. It has nothing new to offer me. Everyone says its so beautiful..but they didn't know Naples before it was bulldozed. Pre Ritz, Pre Registry, they have taken all the history away..I am suprised the old chamber of commerce building is still there...No its not the people who are rude...if you stop at a red light know the rules..if your turning and in a turning lane then turn dammit..we don't care how its done in Ohio..YOU CAN TURN ON RED HERE...and some people have to work and get there..so if you want to stop and check out that palm tree do it a little faster. If your canadian or german don't blame your "we don't tip in our country b/s" on us because we know you know how to tip. If we recognize you again and you stiffed us beware...any way...its Not the people from Naples who are rude its the people who come to Naples that make us rude...
I dont think anyone is denying who the rude people are. That's pretty evident, just as it is in Southeastern FL, Orlando, etc.

Old 06-20-2009, 09:05 AM

2,414 posts, read 5,401,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystacall View Post
. We used to be paradise..until developers came with their greedy grubby hands and took away paradise...They paved paradise and put up a parking lot. .

You just described 90% of the USA.

Old 06-20-2009, 09:40 AM

552 posts, read 592,634 times
^^^Not to the extent of what has happened in FL though.

Old 06-20-2009, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Kathy:

I just looked back on a few of your posts to see where you are going. I think you will enjoy Ocala. When we were moving out of state we were struck by how pretty it seemed around there. My husband and I both commented on it.

I was down a couple of weeks ago, looking for a house. The area is absolutely gorgeous, and I think we'll be very happy there (we'd be happier if the closest Costco wasn't 90 minutes away...).

Naples, and southwest Florida in general, is an odd little area. It is nowhere near where you are moving to.

Oh, I know that. But we have relatives in SW Florida. And I like reading about the different areas in the state which will soon be our home.

Florida is a big state and there are lots of nice places.

I lived in Orlando in the late 90s and actually liked it and the people. I guess it's changed, but it still had a southern feel back then; at least where I lived. So my point is that this was a thread about Naples and it just won't affect you.

I want to wish you a safe trip and happy retirement. I hope that the warmer weather will make you and your husband feel much better.
We're counting on it.

Old 06-20-2009, 10:37 AM

2,414 posts, read 5,401,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scientifical Madness View Post
^^^Not to the extent of what has happened in FL though.
I can't argue with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples