Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 05:09 PM

812 posts, read 1,675,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justnancy View Post

Are you talking about "body odor?"
yes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2009, 05:37 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,931,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merjolie8 View Post
Yeah, it's hard to relocate and such a long distance is even harder since it's not easy to go and see the place beforehand to make your own opinion.
I'm having that problem now. It must be more difficult with children, however.

Ted - Sorry, but my sweat doesn't stink. I'll probably die of some rare disease from using deodorant, but at least I'll smell nice when they bury me.

Old 07-19-2009, 05:43 PM

812 posts, read 1,675,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post

Ted - Sorry, but my sweat doesn't stink. I'll probably die of some rare disease from using deodorant, but at least I'll smell nice when they bury me.
You know I wasn't talking about YOU personally right? I was talking about anyone who CHOOSES to be homeless.. Though I would be happy to find out I'm talking to the one in a few homeless people who uses a computer as well.

Old 07-19-2009, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedTAce View Post
You know I wasn't talking about YOU personally right?
Yes, I didn't think you could smell me through the internet.

Old 07-20-2009, 03:29 PM

376 posts, read 1,809,395 times
I relocated from upper Cape Cod, (previously a metrowest resident) quite a few years ago. Cape COd in some ways is similar to SW FL. Large elderly population, not as many younger families, limited employment opportunities unless you are very well educated and even then I'm sure you know that salaries dropped once you got over the canal. Same deal here, but even MORE elderly and although you hear a lot about how "wealthy" Naples is, no necessarily true. Outside Naples City borders, lots of the elderly living on fixed incomes. The county government and school system is just now beginning to adjust to the downturn in the economy. Be advised though, that the majority of industry down here has been tourism and real estate, so imagine the long term effects of that on the schools. You will find costs pretty comparable to MA/NH except for housing. Still cheaper down here, comparatively speaking. You will need to look in North Naples area -- the schools there are the "best". Or seriously consider private/parochial schools. Food is more expensive here -- I've never figured that out. I'll stick by my original 75K.

Old 07-20-2009, 03:39 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,660,026 times
Default My husband has a hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Just want to mention that, although I owned a home in NH, when I rented an apartment in Nashua, I never paid for water & sewer. So that's something you need to keep in mind when you are looking at rents here. Maybe it's different in some rentals, but I've always paid for my own water & sewer bill since I moved here. Depends on what you rent. Some condos include the water in the condo fee, so then it would be included in your monthly rent. I've also had to furnished my own washer/dryer. Again, this is just my personal experience. (You can tell I'm becoming apprehensive about giving advice on this board.)

By the way, there's a false conception about the cost of maintaining an automobile in FL. When you live up north, everyone says "but you don't get snow." True, but the blazing sun ages cars, drains batteries and melts tire tread. You will also use the air conditioner all the time.
they don't get good mileage with the AC running. Many times he shuts off the AC (ugh), or just takes his bike to work. Putting on the HEAT, has no effect.

Old 07-20-2009, 03:48 PM

27 posts, read 86,266 times
justNancy are you originally from MASS or NH? We currently live in Windham NH but originally from MASS. We are thinking about making the move to SWF. Sarasota or Naples possibly? We like SRQ better because it appears more lively? We are a mid 40's couple with no kids. We are tired of the Northeast lifestyle / mindset and looking for a total change. We always enjoy reading your perspective about living in Florida.

Old 07-20-2009, 04:51 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,660,026 times
40s is too young for Naples where the median age is 62.

Old 07-20-2009, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarasotadreaming View Post
justNancy are you originally from MASS or NH?
I am originally from Boston and grew up in the burbs (Newton) but lived in many cities in MA. I moved to Nashua in 1986 and lived there for about 7 years.
Quote:
We always enjoy reading your perspective about living in Florida.
How nice of you to say! I just lost an entire paragraph talking about Naples & Sarasota so I'll have to come back later. Sorry.

Old 07-20-2009, 09:40 PM

Quote:
We like SRQ better because it appears more lively?
I'm baaaaaack. Sarasota has about 30,000 more people than Naples, so there is more to do. (and more traffic too) I'm not sure I'd call it "lively" however. Still, it would be wrong for me write a post about living in Sarasota, since I've never actually lived there, so you probably should ask someone on that forum. Sarasota is 2 hours closer to Tampa and Orlando, if that matters to you. Since Naples is less than 2 hours south of Sarasota, you can visit both cities when you visit FL.

TANaples is wrong. The median age in Naples is much younger. It's 61, not 62. (hey, at my age, every year counts!) Seriously, I can tell you from experience, there's plenty to do if you're 40-something. Having said that, I'm a very boring person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples