U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 09:17 PM

317 posts, read 1,165,802 times

Advertisements

I am on my second week at my new position in Naples...and lovin' it. Company is great. People are great. I feel great. I am happy! I am back to being the real me...I fit right in. I simply couldn't ask for more! I feel very blessed and very very fortunate to be given this new opportunity in my life.

Observations: The traffic really really really scares me!!!! It is worse than Boston, worse than NYC, worse than NJ and and worse than CA. I have to pull out of my development onto Immokalee? Road with no assistance from any traffic light, and I have to tell you, I am scared! I didn't bring my car down yet so I am renting a "lawn mower"...and I feel like I am going to get mowed over! I was LATE my first two days...I had no idea it could take so long to go 15 miles! It takes between 40-50 minutes! So now I leave at the crack of dawn!

I am so fortunate. The people I work with are simply the best! Friendly, supportive, fun! For those of you who remember my love of wildlife...I have two osprey nests right outside my window! Incredible.

Pleasant surprise: This company is NOT filled with high paid recent MBA graduates. They have actually recruited "a seasoned team"...very refreshing.

Myths about Florida: At least from my experience thus far:
The business climate is NOT any slower or laid back than any company I have worked for in the NE or CA.

Life in FL: Haven't a clue yet! Haven't gone anywhere or done anything since I started working.

Life in a gated community in FL (where I am renting): Hmmm. Not sure. I don't know if living "among all the rules and regulations" is for me.

Adjustments: Darn...the houses are so close together!!!! I walk out on the patio and can hear my neighbors conversations! I mean, how the heck do you have a party here? In fact, you are not even allowed to have cars parked on the street...so you really can't have a party!

Heartbreaking: All the construction. Everywhere. All the time. Where will all our wildlife go?

Need to do: I need to get some color! I am whitey white!!!! Also need to lose some weight and get in better shape....the weather here calls for sleeveless shirts and ....you get the picture...all year round!

Interesting: Food is less expensive. Grabbing a take out lunch is less than $10!

Eeekk! Lots of bugs. Lots of bugs!!!

Best new tool for people who move here: Get a GPS! It will be your best friend!

Cheers,

Nancy
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2007, 09:25 PM

436 posts, read 1,284,085 times
Nancy,
I already posted a congrats message to you on your previous post. Let me add how happy I am for you. You deserve all the best. Please keep your posts coming. You are honest and optimistic. I really want to get a feel for Florida before I get there so I have an idea of what to expect. I know you will give it straight without the exaggerations of life is so God-awful in all of Florida tirade. I hope to continue to be happy as you move forward in your new life.

Old 04-25-2007, 02:00 AM

7,269 posts, read 9,891,028 times
Congrats, Nancy! All the best to you!

Old 04-25-2007, 03:42 AM

13,395 posts, read 42,650,594 times
Nancy, I too appreciate your optimism and honesty.
I think I'll need a GPS too, when we move.
All the best to you--I am very excited for you.

Old 04-25-2007, 05:26 AM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 18,040,917 times
Nancy, thanks for updating us. I was wondering how you were doing.

Glad to hear you're getting along. It looks like some of the posters were right about the traffic there.

I told hubby I wanted a GPS, and he said he didn't need anything like that! Men! They don't even want to ask directions from a machine! LOL

Anyway, enjoy. Once I get down there, I'll let you know.

Old 04-25-2007, 12:58 PM

4,842 posts, read 13,228,731 times
Congrats!

Living in FL is all about being in the right part of town to suit your taste....yes, driving does take longer and you will need ice cold a/c...

Old 04-25-2007, 02:13 PM

1,943 posts, read 8,134,647 times
I too live in Naples, and I hate the traffic, and the horrible, ugly construction all over the place. It's starting to look like a mini-Miami or some other large city

Old 04-25-2007, 02:27 PM
SKB

900 posts, read 3,312,348 times
Congratulations Nancy!!!! You are super excited and I can just feel your happiness from your posts...that is so great!!!!!

It is nice to read something so upbeat and positive.

I hope you enjoy every single day!!!

SKB

Old 04-25-2007, 04:28 PM

672 posts, read 785,477 times
Good you for you, Nancy. I guess it makes all the difference in the world if you are moving where you choose to be. I cannot say the same about my move to Naples. No, don't ask me where. It all looked the same to me - traffic, construction (what the hell for?), and endless PALM TREES.

Old 04-25-2007, 05:20 PM

460 posts, read 2,238,392 times
CONGRATS Nancy!! i too love reading your posts! Please keep us updated on how its going for you! We are moving down in Aug. and its wonderful to read your honest posts!

Jen
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
View detailed profiles of: