U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 07:18 PM

108 posts, read 291,908 times

Advertisements

Hi, I live in Naples FL, and was wondering what kind of business is lacking in the area? What would you like to see happen in Naples?

--I'd like some kind of 'GREEN' business, eco friendly, clean, new, energy saving, healthy etc

And also, what kind of activities you'd like to make happen?

--I'd like a live music hub, or scene to happen here.-For all kinds of music, from jazz to rock to blues to pop etc. (just no rap....even though it'd probably be allowed)

--(on a side note, what is it that the old snowbirds buy down here? besides housing and going out to restaurants?)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2009, 08:57 PM

208 posts, read 569,392 times
I really don't need any type of entertainment, but...

I am dying for a cheese steak! I can't believe, there are so many people from the north east living here and there isn't one place, that makes cheese steaks. Most people that were born or raised here do not even know what a cheese steak is. I think a place that makes a good cheese steak would do really well down here. There would be zero competition.
I hate to cook or I would open a place myself.

Old 09-12-2009, 06:24 AM

3,211 posts, read 7,058,724 times
The cheese steak problem is the bread. No one can duplicate that bread from Philadelphia.

A guy from Philly opened up a deli in Naples. He actually brought rolls down with him and gave them to local bakeries. The one who came closest had the business. The one he chose was close enough, but still not perfect.

Sadly, that place is long gone.

Old 09-12-2009, 07:48 AM

22,583 posts, read 50,417,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMD3819 View Post
The cheese steak problem is the bread. No one can duplicate that bread from Philadelphia.

A guy from Philly opened up a deli in Naples. He actually brought rolls down with him and gave them to local bakeries. The one who came closest had the business. The one he chose was close enough, but still not perfect.

Sadly, that place is long gone.
It's the water in the northeast. Seriously.

I found in the grocer freezer, the other day, frozen bread dough from Brooklyn. It was pretty good. You can really taste the difference. I wonder if I can find their website?

Wow. That took awhile. Here's the stuff. I found it in the organic frozen food section, but my local grocery store puts bird seed in the produce department, so who knows.

Real New York Pizza Dough at rnypd.com

Old 09-12-2009, 08:23 AM

5,642 posts, read 8,745,056 times
Default Chains

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristin4 View Post
I really don't need any type of entertainment, but...

I am dying for a cheese steak! I can't believe, there are so many people from the north east living here and there isn't one place, that makes cheese steaks. Most people that were born or raised here do not even know what a cheese steak is. I think a place that makes a good cheese steak would do really well down here. There would be zero competition.
I hate to cook or I would open a place myself.
There is a Philly Cheese Steak chain in the Coastland Mall in Naples. Probably not as good as a restaurant would be though.

Old 09-12-2009, 08:27 AM

5,642 posts, read 8,745,056 times
Default I will have to look for that

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
It's the water in the northeast. Seriously.

I found in the grocer freezer, the other day, frozen bread dough from Brooklyn. It was pretty good. You can really taste the difference. I wonder if I can find their website?

Wow. That took awhile. Here's the stuff. I found it in the organic frozen food section, but my local grocery store puts bird seed in the produce department, so who knows.

Real New York Pizza Dough at rnypd.com
Maybe it's time to start making my own pizza. I do make my own sauce anyway. I was told by a person from Brooklyn who moved to Florida and opened up a bagel store that it IS the NY water which makes the difference.

Old 09-12-2009, 08:40 AM

3,225 posts, read 8,066,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
Maybe it's time to start making my own pizza. I do make my own sauce anyway.
Better yet, maybe you can import ingredients from up north, open up a TAN's pizzeria down there in sunny Naples, serve some mouth-watering pizzas and tropical juices to go..and become a big hit in Naples!!

Old 09-12-2009, 10:32 AM

108 posts, read 291,908 times
WOW, sadly, this thread is proof of the worthless town i live in,...w/ people as vain as this...all you can think to do is eat tasty food, no wonder your fat and theres nothing to do here, except get fat and watch tv...
...the problem with this country is the PEOPLE, nothing else. as it was prophesied, ''you grew fat and got lazy, now they dont pay u no mind''

--philly cheese steaks... pfffft, can you think of something that would better the community as a whole?

Old 09-12-2009, 12:50 PM

208 posts, read 569,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 167878 View Post
WOW, sadly, this thread is proof of the worthless town i live in,...w/ people as vain as this...all you can think to do is eat tasty food, no wonder your fat and theres nothing to do here, except get fat and watch tv...
...the problem with this country is the PEOPLE, nothing else. as it was prophesied, ''you grew fat and got lazy, now they dont pay u no mind''

--philly cheese steaks... pfffft, can you think of something that would better the community as a whole?
LOL, I am sorry! It is just the thing I miss the most. I do not miss anything else about Pennsylvania at all. It was boring there.

Hmm, benefit the community...that is a tough one. I will have to think about that one. It is hard when I have been a self-centered northerner all my life.

I guess I have been so busy since I came here, that I really haven't had the time to notice what there is or isn't in Naples. I do not sit and watch tv. There is so much to do and only a few hours each day to do it. Lets see, there are malls, movies, beaches, fishing, sunshine, beaches (oops said that before), boating, golfing, etc...what is missing, I really don't know. Sorry, I can't help.

I really do believe, a steak sandwich shop could help the community... it would bring a smile to my face, which in turn would make another person smile, cause smiling is contagious. Well, that is what my Mother always told me.

So, what kind of things are you looking for? You said "green". What do you mean by that? "green" for the community? "green" for playing? An organic place? Entertainment, Sounds like you like live music. Don't concerts come down this far?

Old 09-12-2009, 01:16 PM

22,583 posts, read 50,417,029 times
Quote:
Hi, I live in Naples FL, and was wondering what kind of business is lacking in the area? What would you like to see happen in Naples?

--I'd like some kind of 'GREEN' business, eco friendly, clean, new, energy saving, healthy etc

Great. Sounds like something you should start up.

And also, what kind of activities you'd like to make happen?

--I'd like a live music hub, or scene to happen here.-For all kinds of music, from jazz to rock to blues to pop etc. (just no rap....even though it'd probably be allowed)

Hmm. Have you considered if there is a demographic to support that?

--(on a side note, what is it that the old snowbirds buy down here? besides housing and going out to restaurants?)
Yep. They contribute to the economy, but it is not a great place to live if you are younger. Not a lot of industry or high-paying jobs. Even the cops, teachers, etc. are not paid well. That's why it is a great place for retirees. If you are in the medical field, it is not bad. However, the pay is still better in a good portion of the country.

Quote:

Well, bless your heart. When you say, "you," who, exactly, are you referring to? Naples is not know for being obese.

I think someone needs a hug. A quote from Steppenwolf, I believe. Not quite right, but I understand. You don't like apathy. But you live in a town of happy retirees. I'm 47, and I have found that as I get older I become less angry and more proactive.

I know that a good cheese steak makes me feel better.

If anyone wants to enjoy a FABULOUS sub, visit Stan's in Bonita Springs. Great soup, too. His food always reminded me of home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples