Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 08:26 PM

976 posts, read 1,110,978 times

Advertisements

[quote=MrsTommy;10856245]The national statistics for Law Enforcement Officers that commit domestic abuse is not well circulated but it's somewhere in the 40-50% range. Worse than the national average. It's attributed to the stressors of the job and possible alcohol abuse used in an attempt to deal with those stressors. AND, just like Joe SixPack, there's some that are just plain JERKS!

The "Person of Interest" phrase is a media-created phrase that L.E. has picked up. Another P.C. word for "Suspect".

There may well be a cultural influence on this situation. As a female supervisor of several Haitian subordinates, I had a difficult time, even with the females. I was informed by H.R. that they "do not respect females".[/quote]

I know Haitians are different, and maybe do things differently, but what you mentioned above seems to be somewhat normal in their community/culture. I have some insight to the Haitian community due to one of my family member's jobs, and some of the stories I hear are pretty bad. We have a large Haitian population in Orlando, and one of the stories I heard was so bad I'd have a hard time ever repeating to anyone; the family member who told me sees the worst of the worst at times, and even they hard a hard time even telling me the story - was that bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2009, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B4U View Post
Here's the lastest update. The guy's not a "suspect", but "a person of interest".

Family murdered: Police detain dad

Haitian police have detained Mesac Damas, the person of interest in the deaths of his...

Read Story

Updated 20 minutes ago

DCF found "no safety concern" at Damas home

How disgusting, guilty or not, he is almost smiling in the picture showing him being detained. I bet he's guilty, he even looks guilty honestly. Who smiles/grins like that when their family has been murdered? And why did he flee to his homeland of Haiti when this happened? If he's guilty, I hope they dont waste the tax payers money on putting him in prison.

Old 09-21-2009, 10:59 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,923,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trusses View Post
How disgusting, guilty or not, he is almost smiling in the picture showing him being detained. I bet he's guilty, he even looks guilty honestly. Who smiles/grins like that when their family has been murdered? And why did he flee to his homeland of Haiti when this happened? If he's guilty, I hope they dont waste the tax payers money on putting him in prison.
Although I agree with you, based on all the prior domestic violence in the home, I wouldn't want you to be on a jury if I were arrested. (although you'd probably like me ) I realize it's only human nature to be upset about such a heinous crime, but our justice system is designed to give everyone, even the maggots of our society, a fair trial. I can't imagine murdering your own children. Actually, I can't imagine hurting anyone's children. It's a horrific act. Still, people smile for all sorts of reasons. Sometimes it's just nerves. At first I thought he fled the country because it was a drug-related murder and he was hiding (i.e., maybe he owed a dealer money) But after reading about the family's history, I agree he is probably guilty as sin. I will never understand that kind of rage. He'll probably get the death penalty.

Old 09-22-2009, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Although I agree with you, based on all the prior domestic violence in the home, I wouldn't want you to be on a jury if I were arrested. (although you'd probably like me ) I realize it's only human nature to be upset about such a heinous crime, but our justice system is designed to give everyone, even the maggots of our society, a fair trial. I can't imagine murdering your own children. Actually, I can't imagine hurting anyone's children. It's a horrific act. Still, people smile for all sorts of reasons. Sometimes it's just nerves. At first I thought he fled the country because it was a drug-related murder and he was hiding (i.e., maybe he owed a dealer money) But after reading about the family's history, I agree he is probably guilty as sin. I will never understand that kind of rage. He'll probably get the death penalty.
If guilty, I hope the state doesnt even waste taxpayers money.

Old 09-22-2009, 10:38 AM

That's how I feel about John Couey and Joseph Smith, especially Couey. Kidnapping, raping, and burying a little girl alive ...well, he doesn't deserve the luxury of being in prison and eating 3 meals a day. AFAIK he is still alive and just had another birthday. Jessica & Carly didn't get that chance. Joseph Smith's attorneys went before the Florida Supreme Court earlier this year to ask for a new trial. In general, I've never been an advocate for the Death Penalty, because of all the people in prison who have been found innocent. However, knowing men like this can never see daylight again would be a relief.

Old 09-22-2009, 12:20 PM

Yes, them too. John Couey - although I think it may be a little more complicated because isnt he mentally ill, or have the IQ of a child? Joseph Smith - is that the car mechanic in Sarasota that kidnapped and killed that little girl? VERY SAD, BOTH CASES. HORRIBLE. And I'm now a parent (I wasn't when those 2 little girls were kidnapped), so these things worry me even more now. I have ZERO tolerance for these criminals.

Old 09-22-2009, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Yes, them too. John Couey - although I think it may be a little more complicated because isnt he mentally ill, or have the IQ of a child? Joseph Smith - is that the car mechanic in Sarasota that kidnapped and killed that little girl? VERY SAD, BOTH CASES. HORRIBLE. And I'm now a parent (I wasn't when those 2 little girls were kidnapped), so these things worry me even more now. I have ZERO tolerance for these criminals.
Yes, but Couey kept this angel [URL="http://www.trutv.com/graphics/photos/serial_killers/predators/jessica_lunsford/Jessica-Marie-Lunsford%282%29200.jpg"]http://www.trutv.com/graphics/photos/serial_killers/predators/jessica_lunsford/Jessica-Marie-Lunsford%282%29200.jpg[/URL] locked in a closet and raped her. He buried her alive while she was clutching onto her teddy bear. BTW, he got the death penalty even though his attorney said he was mentally challenged. We can make all sorts of excuses for people..i.e, his IQ is low or he had a terrible upbringing or his parents didn't love him, blah, blah. Won't bring her back. Won't stop the nightmares and the pain her parents must have every moment of every day. Honestly, as a liberal who worries about those unfortunate people who didn't get a fair trial, I don't like the death penalty. But as a human being who wants monsters destroyed, I think it's appropriate.

Old 09-22-2009, 08:00 PM

^^^ She was a cute girl, so sad. I do believe in the death penalty - I'm somewhat conservative. The only hang-up I have about John Couey is that he has the IQ (or I heard) of a child. There was a kid in West Palm Bch that killed another wrestling and he was like 13 or 14 and the other kid was like 6 or so. Cant remember all the details, but the older boy has the mental capacity of a small child from what I remember, so do we throw this kid in jail or whatever they do with minors if he really didnt understand what he was doing? That's all I'm saying - when it comes to CERTAIN circumstances, I may question the death penalty, or life in prison (in the case of the older kid in the West Palm Bch case).

Old 09-23-2009, 12:28 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
Quote:
^^^ She was a cute girl, so sad. I do believe in the death penalty - I'm somewhat conservative. The only hang-up I have about John Couey is that he has the IQ (or I heard) of a child. There was a kid in West Palm Bch that killed another wrestling and he was like 13 or 14 and the other kid was like 6 or so. Cant remember all the details, but the older boy has the mental capacity of a small child from what I remember, so do we throw this kid in jail or whatever they do with minors if he really didnt understand what he was doing? That's all I'm saying - when it comes to CERTAIN circumstances, I may question the death penalty, or life in prison (in the case of the older kid in the West Palm Bch case).
I think that you mean Lionel Tate. He was sendtenced to life. The sentence was overturned and they let him out. Then they found him with a knife. He went back to jail. They let him out. He ended up pulling a gun on a pizza dude. He's doing 30 years. The kid was a punk and by the way, his mom is a FHP cop.

I never believed in the death penalty, but for pedophiles I could agree with it. Definitely.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lionel_Tate

Old 09-23-2009, 08:58 AM

^^^ Yup, that's him. I remember he held up a pizza delivery guy at his apartment complex. When the cops got there to arrest him, the other neighbors at the apartment complex ate all the pizza.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples