U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 05:34 PM

208 posts, read 585,267 times

Advertisements

I watched the news tonight, they were showing clips of fish washing up, dead on the beaches in Collier county.

Tomorrow is my birthday, we were planning a lazy day at the beach and then out to dinner at night. Now I don't know what we will do. No way will I be on a stinky beach, covered in dead fish. Yuck!

How are the beaches in Lee county? Any fish washing up? Maybe we could take a ride up there for the day. I do like Englewood beach. Anyone know how it is there today?

Thanks, Kristin
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2009, 06:02 PM
B4U

3,612 posts, read 7,945,963 times
Marco beaches are fine. And do listen furthur to the news. It's always specific areas of Naples, not the whole coast. Depending on the tide. This happens when there's not enough oxygen in the water.( and they're only little fishies.) .

Old 09-25-2009, 07:20 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,079,847 times
Happy birthday, Kristin.

http://bestsmileys.com/birthday2/2.gif (broken link)

Old 09-25-2009, 07:26 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,079,847 times
This is a natural phenomenon, although it's unpleasant. Red tide is different, but it's also very smelly and burns your sinuses. As B4U suggests, keep an eye on the local beach reports. You might want to post a question on the Sarasota board too. I read that some of this brown water has been reported as far north as Clearwater & Saint Petersburg.

Old 09-25-2009, 09:04 PM

Thank you, Marco Island sounds like a great idea. It is closer to home than driving to Venice.

Is there a site we could use to look for the conditions of the local beaches, before we drive to them?

Thanks, Kristin

Old 09-25-2009, 09:41 PM
B4U

Marco Island Florida Beaches

Tigertail Beach - Public
  • Open 8 AM until Sunset Daily
  • Parking $8.00 - Visitors and Non Residents can purchase an annual beach parking permit for $50 - the permit will cover 12 months from the time of purchase. Annual parking permit is available for purchase on Marco Island at Caxambas Park (239-642-0004)
  • Showers and Restrooms
  • Concession Stand for Food and Beverages
  • Rental Stand for Variety of Water Sport Toys, Umbrellas, Chairs, etc.
  • Children's Play Area
  • Vollyball Nets/Courts
  • Entrance Located at the Intersection of Spinnaker Dr. and Hernando Dr.
As far as beach conditions, other than the news, I'm not sure. Sorry.
Maybe someone else will chime in. I go to the island nearly everyday, and can say they are clear.

You also might be interested in this if you are looking for a couple of hours to kill and see some local stuff:
Free Entrance to 391 National Parks!! (09/26) ( 1 2)

Rookery Bay National Estuarine Research Reserve
On the Web: www.rookerybay.org
(this is on the way to Marco Island)

or: (not listed on the freebie list)

Collier-Seminole State Park (the list didn't show this one free though, but it's cheap)
20200 E. Tamiami Trail
Naples, Florida 34114
Phone: 239-394-3397

(this is just alittle south of the back route Rt.92 to Marco Island, which is about 6? miles east of the intersection of 951 & 41. And there's a great FleeMarket on 41 heading down that way on the west side called Big Cypress Market, only open Fri.& Sat. And it's under A/C roof)
This is getting side tracked, but just giving you options out this way, for the day.

Old 09-25-2009, 10:08 PM

Thank you so much for the info. I will tell my hubby about the flea market, he likes them.

Is fishing allowed at Tigertail Beach?
Thanks again!

Old 09-25-2009, 10:26 PM

I just read some posts on tigertail beach...I don't know about crossing the lagoon . I don't like to walk where I can't see! LOL! I would have a panic attack before I reached the other side.
Are there any other, easier beach access areas?

Old 09-25-2009, 10:52 PM
B4U

google tigertail beach and you'll see. also look at the images. There's no yikky stuff. The rich folk over there wouldn't allow it. LOL! But I would do away with Collier-Seminole Park though. Never know what you'll find there. Even though I like it.
If you're heading to the flee market, when you're done with that, go the back way to Marco (maybe another 2 miles making a left out of the flee market) to Rt. 92 (you'll make a right) and stay safely in the car while hubby fishes off of 92. It's all natural and right on the side of the road!
You may see eagles & nests and babies up on the electric poles or hawks, falcons, or osprey. It's beautiful, natural and all on a paved 2 lane road (spead limit 55) Bring a camera! When you go over the bridge, which is pretty, you can go straight, which is Marco, San Marco Rd., or go left to Goodland (google Goodland, Fl.) There are a couple of bohemian type bars to get a good cocktail/beer and a burger or fish sandwich, and see very unsnotty, working class, down-to-earth type atmosphere. Even bikers, fisherman and live music at Stan's or The Little Bar.
It's off season, so I expect it won't be a Zoo. Goodland was originally a fishing village, so the homes/shacks you see with people living in them were originally seasonal for grouper & other native species. But now alot look delapidated, but friendly folk.

Old 09-25-2009, 10:59 PM
B4U

Sorry. I didn't answer about fishing on Tigertail. I don't remember. Bring equipment just in case. But leaving Marco on Collier Blvd.(The main way people enter and exit Marco) Just before the Jolly Bridge, pull off either to the left or right. There are parking areas and you can go under the bridge, where they have a walk way you'll see many fisherman/ameatures. Or like I said in previous post, Rt. 92.
As you're heading off the island, you'll see fisherman all ove the place just pulled over with a pole. Or there's a boat ramp on 951/Collier Blvd. under construction that's open right now.
It's a Manatee/No Wake Zone, FYI.
Enjoy your day.
If more questions, don't hesitate, but I'm heading to bed shortly. I'll check back here in the morning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples