U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 01:09 PM

55 posts, read 222,135 times

Advertisements

Hi! My husband and I and our 2 babies live in Largo, FL. I am a So. Cal. girl but my husband is from Pinellas County. We have been here a year and I really miss my family and all the beauty of Cali, but we are not moving back anytime soon. So I love looking at real estate. We drove into Naples and stopped at a beautiful beach there and since then I have thought alot about it.
I looked it up on Realtor.com and put a price range up to 200,000 and properties 1/2 acre and up and there were lots and lots of listings!
Really nice looking newer style homes and over and acre, surrounded by woods.
I was amazed, so was my husband.
Most of these seemed to be in the Golden Gate area and also most were in areas with streets like 38th ave N., 56th ave. s., etc.
We plan on going down there again and really investigating eventually when we have time again, until then, I come to you.
Please can anyone tell me if they know these areas if they are nice.
We are in our early 30's, 2 babies under 2. My husband is thankfully a very talented and good man. He does computer work of all kind, web design, repairs, marketing, laptop repair, and just about everything you can do with a computer. He also does handyman work. He doesn't even have to look for work, it just comes to him, there is a person who works at Loews who refers people who need handywork to him. On top of all this he is planning on testing and get his EMT. license so that he can get into Firefighting. He was a firefighter in the Air Force when he was 19. Anyways I say all this to point out that thankfully even in these tough times we seem to be doing ok becuase my husband can and is willing to do everything.
The last bit of info on us that is of importance is that our 21 month old son has Down syndrome. He is an amazing little boy, he has taught us sooooo much and lights up our lives. So wherever we live there has to be good services for special needs.
So in saying ALL that, if anyone actually read this entire post, what are your opinions on living in Naples, or any part of Florida for that matter.
We want to live somewhere we could have a big piece of land to grow our own fruit and veggies, etc. and just raise our kids while also growing in our faith with God. We want to eventually serve God and help people however we can. I know I didn't need to add all that, but there it is.
OK anyone still reading?
Thank you so much and God Bless!!!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2009, 01:33 PM

1,217 posts, read 2,647,203 times
Very difficult employment situation in Naples. Mostly low paying service type jobs. The economy is dependent on real estate (in the toilet big time) and tourism/snowbirds.

Please don't buy there without having a real job although there are no guarantees even with a contract. Many people under and un-employed in the county. Many people commute from Ft. Myers to work in Naples.

There is a lot of real estate for sale in Naples. The bottom has not been seen yet.

Old 10-12-2009, 01:49 PM

55 posts, read 222,135 times
Thank you for your honest reply. Definitely a serious issue, not being able to find work. Is there any ideal area that you think would be good for us? Of course if there was everyone would be there, I guess.

Old 10-12-2009, 02:13 PM
B4U

3,612 posts, read 7,829,762 times
I have to agree with imagardener. Unemployment is around 12%(?) I don't have children, so I can't comment on that. As a handyman, he'll still need a license and insurance. There's so many direputable people down here it's required, and he won't get hired by anyone without it, I'm afraid.
Most of the lots are 2½ acres in Golden Gate Estates, but alot of flooding happened last year where your property and those around you were like swamp. Or you couldn't get out of your street. This year was ok I think. Another thing is getting insurance - homeowner's and flood. Since hurricane Wilma, more and more have backed out and another one just last week. Those who stayed have double and tripled rates and cover less.
Other than catering to the "snowbirds" in the hotel and retail industry, trades are the only other thing going and that's been at a stand-still at least the past 2 years. That is, unless you are a migrant worker and want to pick in the fields all day. Even then, I don't know how they're making out the past couple of years.
The building codes the county has enacted make it near impossible to build at reasonable cost, along with the declining economy. So if you're seeing houses at a good price for sale, it's probably because no one is buying, and the prices have been reduced from the original.
If it weren't for my family that's still here, I would leave in a heartbeat. It's just that scary here now.
Good luck and God bless.

Old 10-12-2009, 02:47 PM

455 posts, read 925,652 times
My family has lived in Naples for over 100 years and I love the place. BUT...I don't live there any more. There's no work. They're not hiring Cops or Firefighters or EMTs. Any positions with Fire are hard to get in the best of times and there's a LOT of miserable politics involved.

The school system is in horrible shape right now and was recently put on "probation" by the national accrediting agency. Their ESE and Gifted programs are a joke. They just fired all their Custodians and put in a contract company. A recent post on an article about the School Board said the janitors were being told to water down the hand soap to save money. (IN THESE TIMES OF MRSA AND MENINGITIS!!!???)

If hubby has a job and you are getting by in Largo right now, I would advise staying put for at least another year, until the economy corrects. If you are determined to move, check into the S. Punta Gorda area. There are several areas that fit your needs there right now with decent sized tracts of land and houses at really good prices. Less flooding than Golden Gate and less wildfires. Punta Gorda has a nice small town, friendly feel but is trying to follow the "Naples Example", encouraging upscale development and strict commercial development.

Good luck from the Tommys too.

Last edited by MrsTommy; 10-12-2009 at 02:55 PM..

Old 10-13-2009, 11:19 AM

3,287 posts, read 7,259,248 times
I live in GG Estates and have knowledge of the FF/EMT job fields. I agree with all the above posters.

What, specifically would you like to know?

Old 10-13-2009, 11:21 AM

1,777 posts, read 4,580,336 times
GGE... drugs and old people

Old 11-04-2009, 12:56 PM

136 posts, read 398,063 times
Agree jbclown. I am newer to this area, but we bought a house, NE end of GGE, and it was a foreclosure, 2.73 acreas, 3 beds, and we love the house & the area. Not alot of old people etc. All working crowd our end up here. As far as license to work for someone, the only position you need a license to work for SOMEONE else is security. D & G licenses. If your husband finds something working for an employer, he wont need one.
The work scene is really bad in Naples right now. Im still looking, luckily my husband found something within a couple mos. If you have the ability to buy something, nows the time here because of all the foreclosures. But who knows how long till the market bounces!

Old 11-04-2009, 12:59 PM

Oh BTW, I would step foot near Ft Myers. Alls I ever hear on the news every night is shootings, stabbings, drugs, major crime.

Old 11-04-2009, 01:30 PM

Thank you! We've been here 6 mos and sometimes it seems like a lifetime. Haha! We came from right above Philly, so crime around here doesnt compare, thats for sure. We did run in to the job issue, my husband a mason by trade, self-employed, sis not know he needed a license here, so in the interum time hes doing security, past experience from 25 yrs in the army.
Again ty for the welcome!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>