U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2009, 08:09 AM

8 posts, read 11,939 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I will get to the point right away, I'm 18 years old, live in Holland, finished high school but not going to college yet this year. I want to go travelling, to Naples (got my reasons), but I was wondering what kind of jobs they have in Naples for people like me. I have no experience or anything, but I dont really mind taking a ****ty job (I work as a dishwasher in a restaurant right now).
Could you also give me some advice on places to stay? Like hotels, maybe host families?
Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2009, 02:18 PM

3,226 posts, read 7,113,378 times
Do you have a work permit?

How long do you want to stay in Naples?

Old 10-23-2009, 02:58 PM

22,583 posts, read 50,726,593 times
Kind of going to be difficult, since so many unemployed Americans are probably going to be more qualified.

Old 10-23-2009, 03:24 PM

14,267 posts, read 17,494,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Benzi View Post
Hello,
I will get to the point right away, I'm 18 years old, live in Holland, finished high school but not going to college yet this year. I want to go travelling, to Naples (got my reasons), but I was wondering what kind of jobs they have in Naples for people like me. I have no experience or anything, but I dont really mind taking a ****ty job (I work as a dishwasher in a restaurant right now).
Could you also give me some advice on places to stay? Like hotels, maybe host families?
Thanks
You can't simply move to another country and get a job. You need to meet certain eligibility requirements. Right now there are so many people out of work here that are willing to take the crappy jobs you mentioned.

The type of visa you need would be H1B or H2B which is a work visa. Usually you need to have the job before getting it. There are specific visas for skilled and unskilled workers, meaning someone without specific skills required for a specialized field.

The only sites that are official U.S. Government sites are the dot GOV addresses like this:

[URL="http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis"]USCIS Home Page[/URL]

As stated by Immigration Services:

"In order for you to come the United States lawfully as a nonimmigrant to work temporarily in the United States your prospective employer must ordinarily submit a petition on your behalf to USCIS. Only a few of the classifications allow you to apply directly, without an employer."

There was someone at my door, so I didn't finish my post earlier. Please don't feel as if we're unfriendly. It's just that we're experiencing a major recession and the unemployment rate in Southwest Florida is very high. See if you can find some kind of exchange program in your local community. You might also want to go to a site like [URL]http://www.couchsurfing.org/[/URL] and chat with some of its members. The only hosting services I'm familiar with are for high school & college students. You would probably need someone to sponsor you for obvious reasons like personal references.

Good luck!

Last edited by justNancy; 10-23-2009 at 04:16 PM..

Old 10-23-2009, 08:57 PM

1,210 posts, read 3,079,203 times
I think if you land in Florida without any money, you may get yourself into serious trouble, given current conditions.

I myself, as a Canadian, hitchhiked and motorcycled in the US when I was your age, and worked as a dishwasher at a resort without papers, but those were different times.

You also need to take into account job seasonality of Florida, and Naples is extremely seasonal.

If you are determined to go to Florida, you may have a better chance in Orlando, but keep in mind, there are millions of illegal desperate central americans scouring the countryside looking for $3 per hour work, and many are drifting back home.

Up front service jobs I suspect are mostly legit jobs that would be almost impossible to land as a cash illegal.

Better plan might be to see if you can find a way into Canada, hopefully legally, and take a high paying job in Alberta's oil towns, unless the recession has hit them too, or go to the far north, and then take your cash to fund a trip to Florida.

Even better, get back to school and get a trade or profession...so that you can visit Naples as a vacationer in a few years, rather than skulking around in the shadows as an unskilled transient, or worse.

There are also cruise ship jobs to consider, if you are looking for adventure.

Whats the interest in Naples?

Old 10-23-2009, 10:35 PM

22,583 posts, read 50,726,593 times
I wonder if you can even enter your country like that, anymore. As you know, I have a lot of family in Ontario, and it used to be that you could do that. But I looked into it about two years ago, and as an American I had to already have a job in order to stay for any length of time. I don't think it was just for Americans. I don't remember. But I was on the official Canadian website. A lot of borders have locked up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kroeran View Post
I think if you land in Florida without any money, you may get yourself into serious trouble, given current conditions.

I myself, as a Canadian, hitchhiked and motorcycled in the US when I was your age, and worked as a dishwasher at a resort without papers, but those were different times.

You also need to take into account job seasonality of Florida, and Naples is extremely seasonal.

If you are determined to go to Florida, you may have a better chance in Orlando, but keep in mind, there are millions of illegal desperate central americans scouring the countryside looking for $3 per hour work, and many are drifting back home.

Up front service jobs I suspect are mostly legit jobs that would be almost impossible to land as a cash illegal.

Better plan might be to see if you can find a way into Canada, hopefully legally, and take a high paying job in Alberta's oil towns, unless the recession has hit them too, or go to the far north, and then take your cash to fund a trip to Florida.

Even better, get back to school and get a trade or profession...so that you can visit Naples as a vacationer in a few years, rather than skulking around in the shadows as an unskilled transient, or worse.

There are also cruise ship jobs to consider, if you are looking for adventure.

Whats the interest in Naples?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
View detailed profiles of: