U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-25-2009, 05:51 PM
 
Location: The Conterminous United States
22,583 posts, read 51,719,173 times
Reputation: 13564

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marye24 View Post
Thanks everyone. I know it's a recession , but it's not the only offer I have. I know i'm very fortunate right now compared to quite a few other people and I probably shouldn't be so picky. I'm just worried about making a commitment to an employer that I cannot keep if I find myself bored out of my mind. The area would be North Naples; i'm not sure if there are any areas that the younger people flock to for housing but if there are that would be ideal.
That's different.

First of all, be picky. That's a good trait to have. Keep that for the rest of your life.

The red flag here is that you keep questioning the move to Naples. You know that Florida doesn't even remotely resemble NYC. But you also know that the population in Naples is MUCH older than Tampa. And that worries you. So you might be the type of person that prefers your own age group? Or prefers nightlife?

We don't have anything to go on to help you except to say, "Yes. There will be a lot of older people. The area is kind of sedate. The old people can sometimes get on your nerves in public (cranky, aggressive traffic, etc.) but there will still be people your own age. The don't stop them at the county line!"

So what's going on? Is there someplace else that you prefer? Or do you really prefer Naples? If that is the case then it will really be worth it for your peace of mind. I think there are some excellent airfares into Fort Myers.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-25-2009, 07:01 PM
 
14 posts, read 75,064 times
Reputation: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
That's different.

First of all, be picky. That's a good trait to have. Keep that for the rest of your life.

The red flag here is that you keep questioning the move to Naples. You know that Florida doesn't even remotely resemble NYC. But you also know that the population in Naples is MUCH older than Tampa. And that worries you. So you might be the type of person that prefers your own age group? Or prefers nightlife?

We don't have anything to go on to help you except to say, "Yes. There will be a lot of older people. The area is kind of sedate. The old people can sometimes get on your nerves in public (cranky, aggressive traffic, etc.) but there will still be people your own age. The don't stop them at the county line!"

So what's going on? Is there someplace else that you prefer? Or do you really prefer Naples? If that is the case then it will really be worth it for your peace of mind. I think there are some excellent airfares into Fort Myers.

Thank you; that is good advice. What's really going on i suppose is that if this job were anywhere else i would jump on it, but i do like a nightlife, i like being around other young people, and i'm single and would like to meet someone and i'm scared that although I know i'll be able to make some friends because i am an outgoing person, there won't be many people to be friends with or to date for that matter. So what if i move there to pursue my career but it's at the expense of my personal life? or what if the job falls below expectations and then I'm stuck there with no social life to soften the blow? However, it's a great opportunity and maybe i'm being an idiot and worrying about the wrong things.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2009, 08:23 PM
 
340 posts, read 990,352 times
Reputation: 174
I'm younger and am having a great time living in Naples. There are clubs and restaurants here, but they are quieter than those in the big city, and will be closed by 1 or 2 AM. You can find some things to do here. Plus, the weather in NY sucks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2009, 11:03 PM
 
Location: on the edge of Sanity
14,267 posts, read 17,939,316 times
Reputation: 7969
Naples is beautiful. It's also one of the more expensive cities in Florida. So you also might want to write down what you'll be earning vs what you'll be spending. Your money will go a lot further in other Florida cities if you're looking at real estate. Still, compared to NYC the housing here isn't very high at all. The home values have been dropping rapidly for 2 years and are predicted to fall another 10 or 15% by June 2010, maybe more. So there are so great values for those who are fortunate enough to take advantage of a down market.

Most young people I meet think Naples is very boring, but there are lots of people who grow up in small towns or on farms who would probably find it bustling with energy. (although it might be all those portable oxygen machines. )

If I were 30-something, I probably would stay in NYC, but only you can make that decision.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-29-2009, 07:04 AM
 
Location: Full time in the RV
3,330 posts, read 7,322,784 times
Reputation: 3104
If your work is in North Naples then I would consider Bonita, Estero or Fort Myers. The age demographic is slightly younger and housing costs are generally cheaper.

There is more to do in Fort Myers. Keep in mind the commute issues. I-75 is backed up at rush hours, especially with the current construction. Hopefully when it is done this won't be a problem anymore.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2009, 03:08 PM
 
3 posts, read 15,467 times
Reputation: 14
If the need to build schools and have trailers for classes for lack of room is not an indication of Naples progressively getting younger and younger, what is? Come downtown in the evening. Or to clubs that cater to the younger crowd. No better place than Naples!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2009, 03:33 PM
 
Location: where my heart is
5,642 posts, read 9,067,042 times
Reputation: 1661
Default Only in the Title 1 schools in Naples for

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy Jaynes View Post
If the need to build schools and have trailers for classes for lack of room is not an indication of Naples progressively getting younger and younger, what is? Come downtown in the evening. Or to clubs that cater to the younger crowd. No better place than Naples!

Mexican and Haitian immigrants. I work in one. I have nothing against immigrants, unless our ancestors were Native Americans, we all come from immigrant backgrounds. However, to say that young families are just flocking to Naples is a major stretch.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2009, 03:43 PM
 
208 posts, read 581,840 times
Reputation: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
Mexican and Haitian immigrants. I work in one. I have nothing against immigrants, unless our ancestors were Native Americans, we all come from immigrant backgrounds. However, to say that young families are just flocking to Naples is a major stretch.
I don't think it is a stretch...although I do live in Golden Gate Estates, not actually Naples proper, but anyway, most of the homes that have sold around me (the house we bought) are to younger people. Even at the house we are renting, it is mostly younger people moving in the homes. I don't think many older, wealthy people move into the estates.

I do not have one elderly person living on the block...the oldest here are my husband and I...LOL! I feel so old
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2009, 05:51 PM
 
Location: where my heart is
5,642 posts, read 9,067,042 times
Reputation: 1661
Default That is probably true in the Estates

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristin4 View Post
I don't think it is a stretch...although I do live in Golden Gate Estates, not actually Naples proper, but anyway, most of the homes that have sold around me (the house we bought) are to younger people. Even at the house we are renting, it is mostly younger people moving in the homes. I don't think many older, wealthy
I do not have one elderly person living on the block...the oldest here are my husband and I...LOL! I feel so old
where the houses and property are much larger. Although I do know a woman and her husband in their late 50s who live there, mostly because she has a horse and needs the room to ride. Couldn't do that anyplace else in Naples.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2009, 10:10 PM
 
340 posts, read 990,352 times
Reputation: 174
The older people are wiser, they stay close in where they are centrally located and their are attractions and restaurants. A chicken fight would probably not interest them
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top