U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2009, 01:31 PM

14 posts, read 75,075 times

Advertisements

Hi. I'm considering a move to Naples, FL for a job that is well-paying and in my chosen career. However, I have read all the threads on here as well as know from my own knowledge that Naples is not home to very many young people, and I'm worried I'll be unhappy. About me: I'm single, female, 30 yrs old. I'm living in NYC right now, but I'm from FL originally and my friends and family live in Tampa. I'm a laid back person by nature and know the FL lifestyle and what it entails, but is Naples as horrible for young people as others make it out to be? Are there any areas that younger people seem to live near that I would want to look at? Your advice is appreciated.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2009, 02:01 PM

14,267 posts, read 17,947,201 times
It's not that Naples is a bad place for young people, only that the average age is over 60 and that a large percentage of its residents are retired.

It all depends what you mean by "laid back." I mean, I lived on Sanibel in my 40s and loved it, and it certainly has less to do than a city like Naples. However, I enjoyed taking long walks and talking to the osprey and the pelicans. In another forum, someone posted this link
[URL="http://www.meetup.com"]Do something, Learn something, Share something, Change something - Meetup.com[/URL]
(if you need a zip code to search for activities, try 34109 which is one of the zips in Naples) Then look at the photos & profiles of the members.

The suburbs of Tampa have many more young families, like Riverview, Valrico and Brandon, Brandon being the nicer area IMHO. However, that doesn't mean a young person in Naples won't be able to meet friends. It will be a little tougher to find places to go for entertainment where you'll feel comfortable. Having said that, the beach has no age requirements. It all depends on your hobbies and interests.

Old 10-24-2009, 02:12 PM

1,380 posts, read 5,668,251 times
I lived in Naples for 9 years, but over a decade ago. One thing I learned while living there is that the year round Naples is much younger than the winter season Naples. Naples is probably a bit different from when I lived there, I know it's much larger, and more crowded, but when I was there I'd didn't have any problem finding people my own age, or people with similar interests. The city has a bit older population, as do many of the upscale gated communities, but that's to be expected since the housing got quite expensive.
Most of the younger full time residents did live outside of the city in Golden Gate Estates, Naples Park, and Golden Gate.

Old 10-24-2009, 09:05 PM

22,583 posts, read 51,735,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marye24 View Post
Hi. I'm considering a move to Naples, FL for a job that is well-paying and in my chosen career. However, I have read all the threads on here as well as know from my own knowledge that Naples is not home to very many young people, and I'm worried I'll be unhappy. About me: I'm single, female, 30 yrs old. I'm living in NYC right now, but I'm from FL originally and my friends and family live in Tampa. I'm a laid back person by nature and know the FL lifestyle and what it entails, but is Naples as horrible for young people as others make it out to be? Are there any areas that younger people seem to live near that I would want to look at? Your advice is appreciated.
It's a recession. Unless you have other offers, it might be worth a shot. No one's saying there is no one there in your age group. Just be prepared for the sheer number of retirees. They can be daunting. But they go away for awhile.

Old 10-24-2009, 09:26 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,338,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
It's a recession. Unless you have other offers, it might be worth a shot. No one's saying there is no one there in your age group. Just be prepared for the sheer number of retirees. They can be daunting. But they go away for awhile.
Yeah, and they are already back for the next 4-5 months or so... Happy Happy, Joy joy.

Old 10-24-2009, 09:54 PM

1 posts, read 2,526 times
Life is usually what you make it. When you come here you need to be out going...Seek thinks you like and do what you want. Get yourself out there -find a few good friends that share interests and have fun. At least you wont be freexing tht tail off during the winter. good luck

Old 10-25-2009, 01:14 AM

76 posts, read 216,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marye24 View Post
Your advice is appreciated.
You've got your youth and your health. What do you want with a job?

My advice to you is to quit your job and to start drinking heavily.

Old 10-25-2009, 01:21 AM

288 posts, read 1,498,062 times
The only thing stopping me from moving to Naples is family up here and I am 25!

Old 10-25-2009, 07:39 AM

3,333 posts, read 7,326,401 times
The key to your situation is the well paying job in your career field. There aren't many of those in Naples. You have this offer during a recession. You know the FL lifestyle. Unless you have other job options, c'mon down.

I moved here for a job-from Tampa-when I was 24. I don't regret it.

Everyone is correct about the large percentage of retirees and snowbirds.

My kid is 24 and finds things to do. There is some nightlife here, but do not expect it to come remotely close to options in Tampa or NYC.

If you decide to move here post generally where your job will be and we can provide housing advice. You have to be careful with commuting issues.

Old 10-25-2009, 08:37 AM

14 posts, read 75,075 times
Thanks everyone. I know it's a recession , but it's not the only offer I have. I know i'm very fortunate right now compared to quite a few other people and I probably shouldn't be so picky. I'm just worried about making a commitment to an employer that I cannot keep if I find myself bored out of my mind. The area would be North Naples; i'm not sure if there are any areas that the younger people flock to for housing but if there are that would be ideal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples