U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2009, 08:19 AM

3 posts, read 7,274 times

Advertisements

I need help!! We are looking to spend 500k on a house. On Marco you dont get much house for that price, but u get a canal in ur backyard. In naples u get a much nicer house with no water. We are having a hard time deceiding what will be right for us. Anyone have knowledge of the bridges to Marco backing up with traffic during the winter? Are there really kids on Marco- I have spent quite a few days looking at houses and really havent seen many kids.
All of the North naples houses are in communities with HOAs- in return, do u really get a community feel? Younger families in those areas? We fell in love with a house in Naples but it was 100 feet from the main road (airport rd, I think) With that house, I worry about resale value. Should we stay with a view of golf course or fake lake in backyard?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2009, 12:28 PM

14,267 posts, read 17,753,586 times
Some statistics I've seen report that Marco Island's population is over 45% snowbirds. In other words, only about half the people live there full time. Still, it has nice schools and, when I lived there for a couple of months, I saw many children. Marco Island schools have excellent ratings AFAIK. It's also a very safe place to live. Still, you are separated from the mainland by a bridge and might fight it very inconvenient after a while. I found the traffic on S. Collier Boulevard to be very congested, even in the summer but like every town in Florida, there was road construction. (is there a place in Florida where there isn't some kind of road work?)

Every real estate expert predicts home prices in both Marco & Naples will fall another 20 to 25% by June 2010, so you might want to wait a while before buying. $500,000 will buy a lovely home in many Naples communities. Depends what you're looking for, i.e., Longshore Lake has several 3 & 4 bedroom homes listed in your price range and Autumn Woods is a popular family community. If you concentrate in developments with primarily single family homes, you will probably find more families. Although a lot of retirees buy houses, many of them opt for coach homes & townhouses instead. Just my opinion. I'm not a real estate agent, but that's been my experience.

It's up to you, but you'll be paying a lot of property tax on a $500,000 house, and you can buy a very nice home for a lot less in Naples while investing the rest in a vacation home in the mountains.

Old 12-13-2009, 07:33 AM

3,267 posts, read 7,235,335 times
Traffic and the bridge are insane on Marco in the winter.

Children are practically illegal on Marco. I think there are only about 200 high school students there. They are bussed to Lely High which doesn't have a good reputation. They tried to build a HS there but were shot down-not enough students. There is only an elementary school and charter middle school there. The regular MS is Manatee Middle which is off island-and also doesn't have a good reputation.

Nancy is right-the majority of population are snowbirds and/or retired. The economy and lifestyle are geared for those two things.

HOAs can vary wildly. You need to see what you will, or won't be paying for.

All the gated communities in North Naples are decent. Compared to Marco, the population will be younger. Remember though, Naples is a retirement town.

Golf course or lake-that is personal choice.

If you have 500K to spend AND school aged kids I would stick with North Naples.

Old 12-13-2009, 03:28 PM

1,210 posts, read 3,114,223 times
yeah, pay real close attention to monthy upkeep....taxes, insurance, HOA, CDD

when quoted tax rates, make sure you are looking at everything on the tax bill, not just the municipal mill rate...school, etc

Old 12-13-2009, 04:51 PM

5,642 posts, read 8,957,673 times
Do you have kids? As people have said, most of Marco are snowbirds and retirees. There is NO HS on Marco. There was talk of opening one there but they nixed the idea. If you have children this age, they will have to go to HS at Lely. Not the best HS in Naples. Yes, there is choice, but it is a VERY LONG ride to the high schools farther north. Basically, Marco is not a great place for a family. Also, most of the shopping, restaurants are north of Pine Ridge Road. It a long drive. OFF Season in Marco many places either close early, or completely. You are going to have to drive to really go anwhere. We used to live in South Naples a few miles from Marco.

Unless you plan on being a snowbird, or do a lot of driving, in your price range you can get something very nice in North Naples.

Old 12-13-2009, 08:04 PM

14,267 posts, read 17,753,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
Do you have kids? As people have said, most of Marco are snowbirds and retirees. There is NO HS on Marco.
You're right. I must have been thinking of the Charter Middle School. Maybe the few people I knew there sent their kids to private school or they weren't in high school yet. That's why I used "AFAIK" and pointed out that I don't have children! Gee, I don't even see any private high schools on Marco.

Old 12-14-2009, 12:16 PM

1,210 posts, read 3,114,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michellenyertofl View Post
I need help!! We are looking to spend 500k on a house. On Marco you dont get much house for that price, but u get a canal in ur backyard. In naples u get a much nicer house with no water. We are having a hard time deceiding what will be right for us. Anyone have knowledge of the bridges to Marco backing up with traffic during the winter? Are there really kids on Marco- I have spent quite a few days looking at houses and really havent seen many kids.
All of the North naples houses are in communities with HOAs- in return, do u really get a community feel? Younger families in those areas? We fell in love with a house in Naples but it was 100 feet from the main road (airport rd, I think) With that house, I worry about resale value. Should we stay with a view of golf course or fake lake in backyard?
If I was moving to Florida with kids, I would think more in terms of Tampa/Orlando. Why move somewhere, where your kids will have to move away to find careers.

At least Fort Myers/SanCap would be a little less seasonal than Marco/Naples?

fake lakes don't go bankrupt and overgrow like golf courses, or bop you on the head with golf balls

also, consider renting for a season before buying...I can guarantee you your perception of your needs and wants will be different after a few months or a year, and prices should be softer as the off season sets in

Last edited by kroeran; 12-14-2009 at 12:28 PM..

Old 12-16-2009, 08:09 AM

3 posts, read 7,274 times
Thank you all so much! I think we will end up in North Naples. I spent the day yesterday on Marco looking at houses and again and still cant find anything I love in my price range. Not too many signs of kids on Marco and Lely is not where I want my daughter to go to HS. Im spending the day w a realtor in North Naples today and hope to find something. Looking in Pine Ridge/Barron Collier school area. Anyone have info on the Vinyards. I thinks its different schools but good ones. Looking at Autumn Woods today. Thank you again for all the info!

Old 12-16-2009, 08:42 AM

3,267 posts, read 7,235,335 times
All of the Vineyards is nice. There are tons of snowbirds in those condos.

Autumn Woods is also nice. All of the gated communities in NN are nice-and even the non gated ones.

There are only a few pockets of areas to avoid there.

The one caution is to investigate the HOA and the fees. Some HOAs are in deep financial trouble since owners of foreclosed homes don't pay their assessments. This places the burden on the people remaining.

Fees can cover just the basics-the guard gate, pool, other common areas. Some places the fees can be very high but cover more things such as lawn maintenance and irrigation, security patrols etc.

Also investigate the rules and restrictions. Some dictate the colors you can paint your house, the mailbox you must have, no commercial trucks in the driveway, no garage doors open unless you are present, no boats in the yard etc.

That is not meant to deter you-some people like living where there neighbors can't do such things.

Last edited by RMD3819; 12-16-2009 at 08:53 AM.. Reason: Added info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>