Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 12:45 PM

486 posts, read 1,948,112 times

Advertisements

We are considering a move to South Florida next year. I am 35 and the hubby is 46. We have the option of moving pretty much anywhere we want since most of his work will be done at home. We are hoping to start a family soon, so good schools are important too.
We are looking to spend around $600K on something with a pool in a gated community. We'd like to be within a few miles of a good marina where we can store our boat. I have found a few listings I liked in Naples and I like the fact that there is a Whole Foods and a Nordstrom there. Some other areas we are looking at are Fort Myers and Boca Raton. I really don't know much about Florida. Any input is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2009, 04:54 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,923,606 times
I don't know what to add except that Naples is very pretty and $600K will buy you a beautiful home in a gated community. There are several marinas in Naples where you can store a boat. You will have a large selection in Naples and Bonita Springs in your price bracket. The median price of a house has dropped over 40% in the past few years. Just go the local board of Realtors site and enter your criteria.

[URL="http://www.naplesarea.com/find-naples-home.asp"]Naples Board of Realtors Property Search [/URL]

Old 12-18-2009, 01:52 PM

3,417 posts, read 7,785,389 times
Your options are almost limitless in Naples with that budget.

You need to consider commute issues if you will be working. The commute can be hell, especially in the winter.

Post some development or street names where you are interested.

Schools are another story. Can you afford private schools?

Old 12-18-2009, 03:27 PM

If you choose to live in Naples, I prefer North Naples, but it depends on what you're looking for as above mentioned. You might want to check out one of the Vineyards communities. (Valley Oak, Arbor Glen) if you want convenience, but enjoy having lots of amenities. Saturnia Lakes has a convenient location in North Naples and there are some gorgeous homes in your price range. As above stated, you will have a lot of choices which is why I posted the link to the Naples MLS. Everyone has his or her own personal quirks. For example, I'm very sensitive to noise, so I hate hearing traffic. Other people live very close to the interstate and are oblivious to it. I once stayed in a friend's home off of Davis and the airplane noise drove me batty. He never noticed it.

I agree with RMD3819 about private schools. I don't have children, but neighbors have used private daycare schools and are very pleased. My former neighbor's little girl has attended Bobby Noonan's Child Care for 2 years and loves it. It's on the Bonita Springs/Naples line. It's funny how some people in Naples think of Bonita Springs. Where I'm currently staying, I could walk to Publix on Bonita Beach Road on a nice day if I had the energy. Anyway, the main difference is that Naples is Collier County and most of Bonita Springs is in Lee. I'd also recommend not living too far from 41 if you enjoy going out at night or shopping. One of the nicest shopping centers in the area, Coconut Point, is on 41 in Estero.

Regarding elementary or middle/high schools, you have a long way to go before worrying about that. Anything can change in 6 or 7 years. Florida schools have had problems for many years, however. Just search through the many threads on this board about that subject!

The Estero community of West Bay Club is pretty, but I'm not sure what's available for $600K, although prices have dropped dramatically in this area. So the once million dollar houses might now be listed for $600K or less. I'm sure it has a web site. I assume there is boat storage all over SWFL since boating is a very popular sport here, but I'm sure any realtor can help you out once you find an area you desire.

Old 12-19-2009, 10:47 AM

340 posts, read 1,045,929 times
At that price you should look at a nice house in Bonita Springs on the Imperial River. No need to pay a huge sum of money for Boat storage when your house will have its own Dock, no waiting in line to launch your boat.

Old 12-19-2009, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMunch View Post
At that price you should look at a nice house in Bonita Springs on the Imperial River. No need to pay a huge sum of money for Boat storage when your house will have its own Dock, no waiting in line to launch your boat.
I agree. Many of my neighbors in Bonita Springs have boats. I was responding the the OP when asking for gated communities and boat storage. I was thinking of the small development of Olde Florida Style homes constructed with hardiplank off of West Terry. Can't think of the name right now. Brendon Cove? Before I posted earlier, I looked up listings in Barefoot Beach and Southport, but the houses were still well over $1 million.

There are also very nice gated communities in Fort Myers like Gulf Harbour Yacht & Country Club. It has a deep water marina at your doorstep. However, I'm not sure if there are single family homes available for $600,000. Catalpa Cove is another boating community in Fort Myers with its own marina. There are some 3 bedroom homes listed in the lower $600s.

There are just too many to list.

Old 12-19-2009, 11:12 PM

146 posts, read 335,467 times
Having lived in the Naples zone for the past 30 years I can tell you to be cautious about flood zones. Yes, Bonita is nice but it gets a lot of flooding in the rainy season. I would not choose to live in Ft. Myers because the zoning is lousy and 41 is just a sea of neon and tacky advertising. It ruins the town. Naples is safer for real estate investment. If you need to have deep water access, check out Royal Harbor...a mix of older and newer homes with canal access. I would not go any further east or south than Royal Harbor. You can always email me if you want more info. I'm not a realtor and have no personal investment in your choices...but I know Naples and the area very well.
travellight27@aol.com

Old 12-20-2009, 12:32 AM

Although I agree with your post about flood zones, and Bonita Springs has had problems in some areas, I lived in Bonita Springs for over 13 years and the communities west of I-75, especially west of 41, haven't experienced any flooding of which I'm aware. I never even had a deep puddle on my street.

Old 12-20-2009, 08:03 AM

486 posts, read 1,948,112 times
Thanks for all this great info. It's hard to say whether or not we'll be able to afford private schools by that time. At this point, we still don't know for sure if we'll even have kids. I guess we just don't want to move someplace where the schools are known for being really bad, just in case.
Flood zones are something we are definately concerned about too. We have a waterfront place up here, but it's on the 15th floor, so we don't really have to worry about it.
I am willing to look at some non-gated communities, as long as I feel like they're safe. My husband will have to travel overnight occasionally, so I want to feel comfortable when I'm in a strange new place and he's gone.
Thanks for all the neighborhood suggestions! I really do not know anything about South Florida. We just want to move someplace that's warm most of the year. I am stuck inside under 18 inches of snow today (that's not the norm by any means in Richmond, though).

Old 12-20-2009, 11:26 AM

Nobody here has mentioned Sanibel Island to you. I realize it's a bit off the beaten path, but it's beautiful and safe. If you plan to work out of your home, you might want to consider it. I haven't lived there for a long time, but I loved it because it's unique and one of the few places left where you can see wildlife without going to a museum. I know others here will say I'm crazy because it's an island, but at least visit the area when you're in SWFL.

If the reason you want to move to Florida is because it's warm all the time, I'd advise you to think twice. I know that on other threads people are complaining about the cold & the snow, but non-stop heat & humidity for months gets to be pretty old too. I've seen people jogging in the heat & humidity in August, but I think it's too hot for most outdoor activities. Today the weather is perfect, 65 and sunny, but I've been waiting since March! However, each person has a different tolerance to hot or cold. I'd recommend San Diego when it comes to nice weather, but no place is perfect all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples