U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 07:10 PM

1 posts, read 2,335 times

Advertisements

I am wanting to relocate to Florida from New Jersey. I am mid 50's and my Mom lives in Spring Hill. I always thought Naples would be nice, but is it very expensive? I want the least amont of bad weather and NO traffic. Any Suggestions???
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2010, 05:15 AM

3,242 posts, read 7,173,483 times
Expensive is relative. What is your budget?

The weather is nice in the winter and hot in the summer.

Naples has a lot of traffic, especially in the winter.

Old 04-01-2010, 12:31 PM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
3,771 posts, read 5,861,970 times
We still have a home in Ocean County NJ. We just bought in Naples. I love it. I think it is cheaper than NJ. All-in-all, a lot cheaper!

Old 07-04-2011, 10:15 AM

48 posts, read 147,346 times
Question Busy Traffic in Naples but when please? Tourist Session in Summer, winter during the snowbirding or generally both?

I have read that the traffic around Naples can become quite congested, so can one tell me in general if this occurs all the time, or during the summer tourist months. ~ View is to live buy a villa in Naples during the autumn/winter months then returning home to England for our spring and summer. Naples appears to have many of the aspects we are looking for but if there should be the frustration of spending many a journey stuck in slow busy traffic during this time, I wonder if this is the best option of a location.

Old 07-05-2011, 08:23 AM

3,242 posts, read 7,173,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleash22 View Post
I have read that the traffic around Naples can become quite congested, so can one tell me in general if this occurs all the time, or during the summer tourist months. ~ View is to live buy a villa in Naples during the autumn/winter months then returning home to England for our spring and summer. Naples appears to have many of the aspects we are looking for but if there should be the frustration of spending many a journey stuck in slow busy traffic during this time, I wonder if this is the best option of a location.
This depends on your standard of congestion.

Naples traffic is worse in the winter-that is when all the snowbirds and tourists are here. The further west you are the worse it is-where the majority of shopping and restaurants are. It is the reverse in the summer-those same streets are like a ghost town in comparison.

Is it unbearable? It is a trade off. Traffic is worse all over Florida in the winter, especially where the tourists and snowbirds want to be.

Old 07-05-2011, 09:38 AM

256 posts, read 700,770 times
I think traffic control in Naples is much better than it used to be. There are several expanded or new North South corridors and they added an exit to the freeway. In addition the traffic lights on hwy 41 are now timed.

I don't think traffic in Naples is anywhere near the problem it was compared to 20 years ago.

Beth

Old 07-08-2011, 11:29 AM

3,979 posts, read 9,704,375 times
Naples is very congested. My brother and sister in law lived there for 15 years and moved to Gainesville because Naples became too overcrowded. What used to take my sister in law 15 minutes to get to work became 40 minutes in the winter when the snow birds were in town.

Charlotte County, FL and North Port areas are not as crowded. They are still in Southwest Florida and are convenient to beaches and a 40-45 minute drive to Sarasota or Ft. Myers.

Old 07-08-2011, 11:59 AM

256 posts, read 700,770 times
As I said, I think Naples has solved it's traffic problem. There are no more long waits at lights and roadways have been much expanded. It's really a small town in comparison to much of the coast.

TamRE's comparison had me looking up stats on both.

The population of North Port is 54,000. The population of Naples is 22,000.
Charlotte counties population is around a 150,000 and it encompasses 859 sq miles. Collier county encompasses 2000 sq miles and has a population of around 320,000.

All this information and much more on Naples is available here //www.city-data.com/city/Naples-Florida.html
North Port is available here .
//www.city-data.com/city/North-Port-Florida.html

They are two very different cities as reflected in their statistics but it's fun to compare them. Each seems to have it's advantages.

I hope that helps you in your search.

Beth

Old 07-09-2011, 07:39 PM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
3,771 posts, read 5,861,970 times
I have lived in NJ most of my life. I am retired now and do not have to live in NJ. I spent a wonderful winter living in Naples (November through March 2010-2011). I plan to do so every year. I spent October 2010 and April through June 2011 living in Murrells Inlet SC. Love it there too. In Naples I hear the regulars (full timers and snow birds) complain about the traffic and congestion during the winter. I just scratched and shook my head cause I did not feel the same. In SC, especially as July approached, I heard the same (traffic and too many tourists). Again I did not agree. I have been back in Ocean County NJ since July 1st. There is no comparison. If you are troubled by the worst of the traffic during the winter season in Naples (or other areas of SW Florida), you would pull your hair completely out to drive in this area of Jersey. Going to the gym and a couple stores today I sat at at least four different traffic lights for 5 or 6 cycles. I have yet to suffer "grid lock" in either Florida or SC local traffic.

Old 07-12-2011, 01:51 PM

11,867 posts, read 11,291,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleash22 View Post
I have read that the traffic around Naples can become quite congested, so can one tell me in general if this occurs all the time, or during the summer tourist months. .
Summer isn't peak season for Naples. Winter is peak season.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples