Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 07:00 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,740,612 times

Advertisements

When I first heard about this my first thought was, "Where is Veals Road?" Considering the uproar this has caused, I assumed Veals Road must run right through the middle of a large, popular subdivision. But a quick check of Google Maps would suggest otherwise. It appears to be more of a country lane with mostly fields and the occasional house. I could understand not wanting a huge center of worship smack dab in the middle of a subdivision. Of course, there is a MASSIVE church at the back side of Regency Park, and I can't remember it causing such outrage. So maybe the few residents who actually live on this road simply don't want the additional traffic this facility might cause. But it seems there are a LOT more people outraged by this than only those who live on the road. There really aren't that many houses on Veals Road, after all. Plus there is a Baptist church under construction quite nearby on Bradyville Pike, and I haven't heard a peep about that. The only other thing I can think of as the cause of this anger is that the group proposing the building are Muslim. But obviously this group already lives and worships here, they just want a larger, nice building. It's not like 3000+ Muslims just moved to town the other day and decided to build a building. So I'm at a loss as to the reason of this controversy.

Old 06-19-2010, 12:34 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,627,266 times
I simply don't want a terrorist breeding ground in my backyard. Call me whatever you wish, but I saw the Word Trade Center towers come down in 2001. I was there visiting my mother. It may not be rational reasoning, but it's how I feel and I make no apologizes for it.

Old 06-19-2010, 02:52 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,740,612 times
Terrorists or not, they already live and worship in this community. The only difference will be a bigger building.

Old 06-19-2010, 02:55 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,029,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_TN View Post
I simply don't want a terrorist breeding ground in my backyard. Call me whatever you wish, but I saw the Word Trade Center towers come down in 2001. I was there visiting my mother. It may not be rational reasoning, but it's how I feel and I make no apologizes for it.
Most "progressives" have long forgotten about 9/11, and the worst of them cling to the absurd notion that it was an "inside job" by the Bush administration. Being "sensitive" and "tolerant" is now more important than protecting this country and what it stands for.

Imagine if they had tried to build this thing during the 6-12 months following 9/11. Wouldn't have happened.

Old 06-19-2010, 05:19 PM

957 posts, read 3,699,743 times
Quote:
It hit close to home for me too. I was working for the state on NY as an IT consultant and had lunch at Windows on the World in the North tower on the 10th. On the 11th, I was back at the state offices in Albany and couldn't believe it was happening.

Old 06-19-2010, 10:18 PM

166 posts, read 612,100 times
Quote:
Yes, because if history has taught us anything is that massive terrorism that kills hundreds or thousands of people are always done by Muslims.

Old 06-20-2010, 02:17 AM

36 posts, read 63,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpy View Post
Most "progressives" have long forgotten about 9/11, and the worst of them cling to the absurd notion that it was an "inside job" by the Bush administration. Being "sensitive" and "tolerant" is now more important than protecting this country and what it stands for.

Imagine if they had tried to build this thing during the 6-12 months following 9/11. Wouldn't have happened.
i would wager most "progressives" realize that not every muslim is a terrorist hellbent on destroying the USA, just as we all realize that not all christians are going around bombing abortion clinics or picketing funerals of soldiers. judging an entire religion and group of people based on the actions of what a few did is quite ridiculous.

steve_tn's post is so blatantly offensive im not even going to respond to it. but i do have to say that if it were true that every muslim was a terrorist, there would be a lot more destruction in the world considering that approximately 20-25% of the world population are muslim

spikeboy25, dont you know that the christian crusades were just a bunch of muslims pretending to be christians? because christians could never be so violent.

as for the story itself, i believe that people who lived nearby complained because it would cause traffic problems. but of course you have the xenophobes complaining on the outside.

Old 06-20-2010, 07:08 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,494,356 times
No longer about Nashville. Thread closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
View detailed profiles of: