U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2010, 04:15 PM

20 posts, read 73,658 times

Advertisements

My family and I are moving to Nashville and we're looking for an elementary school for our two small children. I was born and raised in the south, so I know how important faith is to many people here. While we (my husband and I) are not religious, we're not anti-religious either. We would just prefer to filter and be in control of how our children are introduced to different religions (particularly because we don't want to present a bias for or against any particular one).

I've been researching the private elementary schools in the Nashville area, and there seem to be very few that aren't religious in either affiliation or practice. I was very hopeful about Oak Hill School until I read that they teach "Bible" class. They don't seem to hold the school out to be a "Christian" school, but teaching of Bible classes would lead me to believe that's what it is. Can anyone vouch for the accuracy of this? Is is a *required* class or merely an enrichment that is elective? Are there children of other religions who attend school there and what do they do during Bible class?

I attended a private boarding school that was non-parochial but religious in nature. We had "chapel" every morning where we sang a verse and read a scripture along with daily announcements, etc.. We were also required to attend church on Sunday (if we were in the dorm), and those who chose not to (foreign students for the most part) were required to sit in dress clothes in the cafeteria. I assume this was by reason of fairness, but I don't want my children to unduly exposed to religion in an environment not in my control - while I also don't want my children to be the kids sitting in the cafeteria.

Ensworth and University School seem to be the only options that do not carry this undertone. But from what I'm gathering, they are quite difficult to get in to.

Can anyone offer words of experience with the schools here? Direction elsewhere?

Thanks so much!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2010, 04:31 PM

3,924 posts, read 10,071,908 times
Linden School (Waldorf) and several Montessori schools are options.

Old 06-21-2010, 05:07 PM

49,943 posts, read 53,081,743 times
Battle Ground Academy in Franklin (BGA)

Browser Not Supported

(The link does work, though it doesn't look like it.)

Old 06-22-2010, 12:38 PM

2,401 posts, read 5,049,161 times
Harding Academy is also secular but that's about it.....montessoris, waldorf, USN, BGA, Ensworth and Harding.

Old 06-22-2010, 02:19 PM

374 posts, read 635,033 times
You might want to contact this local secular parenting group for info:
Secular Parenting (Hermitage, TN) - Meetup.com (http://www.meetup.com/SecularParenting/ - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
View detailed profiles of: