Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 01:08 AM

28 posts, read 160,198 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I have been reading many posts on this forum about relocating to TN. And so many have mentioned Franklin! Sounds like the perfect place. But I just came back from a visit from Chapel Hill, NC- and I absolutely fell in love with that town! The old beautiful downtown that is still clean and kept up, the people were a breath of fresh air and had the nicest manners, and great shopping malls close by too! It was almost like stepping back in time.. And now after doing some research and looking at Franklin's pictures of downtown, it looks quite alike to Chapel Hill. What do you guys think-pretty similar? Or am I totally wrong? Or is Franklin even better than Chapel Hill and I don't know what I'm missing out on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2010, 06:09 AM

3,963 posts, read 10,630,506 times
Chapel Hill's quite a bit more expensive than Franklin, right? But closer to the ocean......

Old 07-03-2010, 05:21 AM

541 posts, read 1,224,551 times
Culturally they're very different towns. Franklin is more suburban (though its own city in other respects, as well), more family-oriented, more conservative. Chapel Hill is much more liberal, much more of a college town. They both have a historical charm about them. It depends what you're looking for.

Old 07-03-2010, 10:28 AM

286 posts, read 699,434 times
It's daylight and dark.

Chapel Hill sits between UNC-Chapel Hill and Duke. The average person you will meet in CH will be more educated and have more going on upstairs. CH has much more going on culturally and socially.

Franklin is just a small southern town. It's slightly more affluent than your average small city because many people in Franklin commute to Nashvile. But culturally, there is zero going on in Franklin.

If you want a place that is socially and culturally vibrant, Franklin won't be a good fit. If you want a place that is cheap and goes at a slow place, then you will like Franklin.

Old 07-03-2010, 04:36 PM

627 posts, read 1,846,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcredux View Post
it's daylight and dark.

Chapel hill sits between unc-chapel hill and duke. The average person you will meet in ch will be more educated and have more going on upstairs. Ch has much more going on culturally and socially.

Franklin is just a small southern town. It's slightly more affluent than your average small city because many people in franklin commute to nashvile. But culturally, there is zero going on in franklin.

If you want a place that is socially and culturally vibrant, franklin won't be a good fit. If you want a place that is cheap and goes at a slow place, then you will like franklin.
lol

Old 07-04-2010, 02:23 PM

6 posts, read 10,614 times
Wow, Franklin's cheap? No culture either?
Damn, you learn so much from these here Internets

Ray (um, in Franklin)

Old 07-04-2010, 09:28 PM

1,398 posts, read 2,507,790 times
I've lived in both areas. CH is (duh!!!) a college town. In other words, the college dominates every aspect of the town. Yes, it has culture, but it's the sort that you tend to find on any large state university level. And it has a very good academic medical center. It is a part of the Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill metro area, but unlike Franklin is to Nashville... Chapel Hill is very much a distinct part of the "Triangle", as is Durham and Raleigh. They are too distinct (Raleigh is state government... white collar... Durham is blue collar, industrial... and Chapel Hill is very "progressive" and all the good and bad that goes with that sort of environment). Yes, Chapel Hill is a pretty town... and it's smaller than Frankline. It is very expensive to buy a home there... but Durham is only 10 miles away, and the homes there are more affordable (However, we thought the houses there in the 1990s were very expensive for what you got ... e.g. lots of vinyl siding). I liked living in the Triangle, but when I was "done with" college and the college scene, I was also "done with" the plethora of college hangout places that populate the area of Franklin Street and the relative lack of nice shopping in the area. Now, Durham has opened a large mall since we lived there, and that may provide a nice alternative). There is a relative dearth of upper level fine dining establishments in CH for this reason. Although, I still love my Carolina Inn.

Anyway, Franklin is more dependent on Nashville than CH is to Raleigh or Durham. Although, both towns have the nice airport facilities of their larger neighbors.

Old 07-08-2010, 12:11 PM

159 posts, read 333,088 times
Quote "Franklin is just a small southern town. It's slightly more affluent than your average small city because many people in Franklin commute to Nashvile. But culturally, there is zero going on in Franklin."

I had to reply to this. My husband & I attended the Chet Atkins Convention Tribute at the Factory in Franklin last Tuesday evening and were in awe of the performance on stage in Jamisen Hall. We were sitting there thinking this was a great concert and Earl Klugh walked out on stage as a surprise performer. What a treat! Maybe this isn't a cultural experience for some people but we were very impressed. Tickets were only $20.

Old 07-11-2010, 08:13 PM

1 posts, read 4,562 times
check out Franklin TN - FranklinIs.Com to learn more about Franklin, TN

We moved here from Mooresville, NC and absolutely love it here. It is not so different. This place has a great mix of people from all over though as Williamson County is a big draw from California. It also is home to many song writers and singers.

Hope this helps,

MIKE

Old 07-12-2010, 11:35 PM

28 posts, read 160,198 times
Thank you all for your answers this helps out alot!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville