U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2010, 07:28 PM

7 posts, read 24,250 times

Advertisements

Considering moving to Nashville after grad school in a few years. Have a few children

-are there many families with several children? we have four, and sometimes are looked at like freaks for having more than two.

-My husband is concerned that Nashville is full of country music. I love country, as do my kids. He doesn't like it at all, and is hoping for good radio stations that aren't all country. whats the music scene like for non country music lovers?

-Is there curbside recycling? There is where I live here, nad I love it. Alternatively, if no curbside recycling, how easy is it to transport your recyclables to a station?

-Is there a good gym for competetive gymnastics for girls?

-Are midwives popular in the area? Where I currently live, there aren't any midwives delivering in hospitals, and no birth centers for hundreds of miles.

-how family friendly is nashville and the surrounding suburbs? lots of kids activities, festivals, playgrounds/parks?

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2010, 07:43 PM

49,928 posts, read 54,828,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyNurse123 View Post
Considering moving to Nashville after grad school in a few years. Have a few children

-are there many families with several children? we have four, and sometimes are looked at like freaks for having more than two.

-My husband is concerned that Nashville is full of country music. I love country, as do my kids. He doesn't like it at all, and is hoping for good radio stations that aren't all country. whats the music scene like for non country music lovers?

-Is there curbside recycling? There is where I live here, nad I love it. Alternatively, if no curbside recycling, how easy is it to transport your recyclables to a station?

-Are midwives popular in the area? Where I currently live, there aren't any midwives delivering in hospitals, and no birth centers for hundreds of miles.

-how family friendly is nashville and the surrounding suburbs? lots of kids activities, festivals, playgrounds/parks?

Thanks!
1) I live in Williamson County, south of Nashville. Most of my friends have at least three kids, many with four. No one will bat an eye at you here, except those folks in Nashville who like to walk everywhere and don't understand why someone might need a gas-guzzling SUV. Not that you have one, of course.

2) Assuming that Nashville is all country is like assuming everyone in in Milwaukee loves polka. I happen to have NO preset country stations on my car radio. Nashville is certainly known for country music, but its official nickname is Music City, not Country Music City.

3) Nashville has curbside recycling, and Franklin is starting it this week. Or you can get the kids to help you pack it up and drive it to one of the local "convenience centers." It's not difficult. Lots of folks around here do it.

4) There are a TON of competitive gymnastics places in Williamson County. To name a few: Let It Shine, Harpeth School of Gymnastics, Cheermore Athletics, etc.

5) Midwifery is common here. Vanderbilt even has its own Nurse Midwife department. I DO NOT have experience with this center, but I am posting this link only as an example of how the option has grown in this area.
Tender Beginnings Birth Services: Midwife Services in TN

6) I would say Rutherford, Sumner and Williamson are the most family-friendly "suburbs" with the amenities you mentioned.

Hope this helps.

Old 07-11-2010, 08:05 PM

7 posts, read 24,250 times
It does help. I realize the country music question is silly, but he was concerned about it and although I know that its impossible that a city of 500k people has only one variety of music, he would feel better havign heard that from someone who actually lives there. so thank you!!

Old 07-13-2010, 08:14 AM

3,828 posts, read 7,969,775 times
Quote:
I suppose it depends on what your neighborhood is like, but in my neighborhood in Hendersonville, you wouldn't be seen as a freak for having 4 kids. Most families have 2 or 3, but I've seen a few in my neighborhood with 4 or or more. If you lived in a neighborhood with few kids, then maybe it might be seen as being "different".

Quote:
The music scene is very rich here. Sure, country dominates the headlines, but we have a very good alt/underground community here. Jack White, Ben Folds, Kings of Leon (to name a few) either live here or are from here. Our local alternative weekly paper (Nashville Scene) is filled with upcoming shows and events for those with non-country tastes:

Nashville Scene | Music

We also have a cool music store in town called Grimey's that features a lot of in-store appearances by alternative artists. I've seen Flogging Molly and Gabe Dixon there myself:

Grimey's New & Preloved Music

Finally, I like Lightning 100 (100.1 FM).

Quote:
As Wmsn4life pointed out, it depends on where you live. I live in Hendersonville (Sumner County) and there isn't a government-sponsored recycling program there. However, there is a private service that comes around to collect recyclables that you pay for. It is becoming more popular and recycling centers are scattered about the area. I don't think it will be too hard to find a service or a recycling station.

Quote:
In Hendersonville we have 2 schools. I suggest Gymini Athletics:

Gymini Athletics | Establishing Excellence in Gymnastics & Tumbling

They recently won a whole bunch of awards at a large meet. They're relatively new (about 2 years old) but do a great job and are outstanding.

Quote:
Very family friendly. We have many city parks in Nashville and the surrounding areas. There's always something going on. I think you'd be hard-pressed to find a better city to raise a family in.

Good luck and let us know if you have any more questions!

Old 07-13-2010, 09:23 AM

160 posts, read 476,320 times
I'll add my two cents, too. Of course, I don't know why Wmsn4Life didn't include Wilson as a family friendly suburb. . .
Quote:
I have three, on my cul-de-sac there are three other families with three kids and I know several with four. Don't worry, you'll fit in just fine
I came to town loving country music but have tired of most of it. Yes, there are lots of country radio stations and lots of country music played around town and lots of people in country music (the same could be said for Christian, too). However, my all time favorite radio station is here in Nashville, Lightning 100, and it's not country. In fact, I would say the variety of music stations is better here than any place I've ever lived.
I live in Mt. Juliet and we have several companies that offer curbside recycling. Both as an independent service and in a package price with trash pick up.
My girls aren't into this but I know plenty who are but couldn't give you a recommendation.
Two friends of mine used midwives. One at Vanderbilt and one at some place out in the country.
It's extremely family friendly. However, I would say that for the amount of people that live here there is not the park, museum, amusement infrastructure that other cities have. I think it's because metro Nashville has been growing so quickly that the amenities haven't caught up to it. When I lived in St. Louis, San Diego, D.C., and Hampton Roads there were always major free family events happening or world class museums. Here, not so much. It's getting better but there have been some raining or hot days when we ended up having family game day inside because we couldn't find anything to do that wouldn't cost our family a small fortune in admission fees.
Don't get me wrong, when Nashville has an event, it's a great event (CMA Music Festival, Earth Day, Cultural Festival at Centinial Park, Southern Book Festival have been some of my favorites). BUT, it's a monthly instead of a weekly thing that you might find in other big cities.
Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville