Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 08:18 PM

764 posts, read 2,539,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hey teach View Post
I went to college with two guys who panhandled the Hickory Hollow exit for a semester, pretending to be homeless (they lived in a frat house). They collected almost $10,000 in that one semester, splitting the time between the two of them. This was in the 1980's, people were generous.
This past spring in M'boro, a group of young adults were panhandling at the entrance of Walmart and Stones River Mall. They did not look homeless or mentally ill or very needy at all. They looked like emo, goth, vampire wanna-be college students with nothing better to do and too lazy to go get a real job. Amazingly, lots of people were actually giving them money!

In contrast, there used to be an older guy who panhandled at the other entrance to Walmart. He was at least in his late 70's and was in a wheelchair due to leg amputation. If he was playing people, at least he took the time to look the part and yes, I gave him money. I didn't see many people being as generous with him as with the college-age students for some odd reason...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2010, 08:41 PM

58 posts, read 176,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
You were nowhere near Brentwood if you were on or near Nolensville Road. The bus does not drop off anywhere near Brentwood.

Look, if I were in an emergency situation like that, I would not approach other drivers at a gas station asking for money or a ride!!! I would go inside and see if the clerk would let me use a phone or something.
These days, if someone approaches you with any kind of long story like that, you must move on. Yes, people are homeless and need our help. But while you are standing there debating your moral responsibility to help your fellow man, your fellow man might be trying to jack your car.
You were nowhere near Brentwood if you were on or near Nolensville Road. The bus does not drop off anywhere near Brentwood.
Not True. Nolensville Pike, just outside of Brentwood (walking distance), where Nolensville Pike & Concord intersect. I know I know; you think nothing bad happens in brentwood.

Old 07-21-2010, 09:02 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,572,875 times
Hey, I thought you had to live here at least 6 months before you were allowed to start bashing Brentwood!

I'm just trying to be sure you know the areas since you recently moved here. The buses don't go into Williamson County, so I'm just alerting you to the idea that it could have been a scam.

And I work with the Brentwood Police, so I do know about the bad stuff. Thankfully, there's not that much.

Old 06-29-2011, 01:21 PM

1 posts, read 870 times
You all should just tell the poor humble beggars that you will pray for them and DO NOTHING.Isthat what the bible says to do? I thought it said " above all put on CHARITY, and love one another. " Dont think it can never happen to you!!! I had 30 years of independence and a good life and fell ill w/ out insurance and ended up homeless and sick- everyone turned their heads. EVERYONE said they would pray. I need surgery that will cost thousands and Prayer WITHOUT deed is NOT BIBLICAL!!!! Shame on all of you who turn your head like the priest in the bible who didnt want to get HIS hands dirty and just walked by the bleeding man.

Old 06-29-2011, 01:37 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,264,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charity4surgery View Post
You all should just tell the poor humble beggars that you will pray for them and DO NOTHING.Isthat what the bible says to do? I thought it said " above all put on CHARITY, and love one another. " Dont think it can never happen to you!!! I had 30 years of independence and a good life and fell ill w/ out insurance and ended up homeless and sick- everyone turned their heads. EVERYONE said they would pray. I need surgery that will cost thousands and Prayer WITHOUT deed is NOT BIBLICAL!!!! Shame on all of you who turn your head like the priest in the bible who didnt want to get HIS hands dirty and just walked by the bleeding man.
Excellent first post. Glad to see that the homeless are taking advantage of the public library's free internet.

Old 06-29-2011, 09:59 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,655,469 times
Tons of times ive had people come up to me begging for money. "I ran out of gas coming up here" they say. I simply reply "Shouldnt have left the house then" and walk on.

Old 07-04-2011, 06:21 PM

1,287 posts, read 3,324,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gumpop View Post
We have recently relocated to the Nashville TN area and duirng our first two weeks here, both my wife and I were approached at seperate gas stations by individuals begging for money or food. Is that common in this area?
I've only been approached twice in 3 years and neither of those individuals were aggressive or intimidating. That's opposed to when I lived in Memphis and you could be approached 3 times during your lunch hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville