Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 10:11 AM

4 posts, read 9,565 times

Advertisements

I am interested in moving to the Nashville area; however, I am relatively infamilar with the area. I visited Nashville several times and I have fell in love with it. I will graduate in May with a bachelors degree in Dental Hygiene. My fiance is a auto-body technician. We are interested in finding a nice area for a young couple to live in Nashville. Of course, we want it to be safe area, but we also would like to live somewhere that is busy with lots of things going on. Perhaps when we decide to have kids, we will look for something in the suburbs, but for right now, we are thinking of the downtown area. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2010, 10:17 AM

455 posts, read 1,134,633 times
Where are you moving from? What is your budget? What kinds of activities/interests do you enjoy? The answers to these questions will help in determining what neighborhood might appeal to you.

Old 08-03-2010, 10:21 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,432,734 times
Great! Glad you're considering Nashville.

I guess the first place to start is to find out what your budget will be like for housing expenses, etc? Are you looking to rent or to buy? House, condo/townhome, loft? Let us know what your priorities are from a housing and lifestyle standpoint and that will help.

The good news is there are loads of options in the downtown and near-downtown area for a younger couple. West End/Vanderbilt, 12South, The Gulch, lofts downtown...it just depends on your budget and what you are looking for. Do you want to be in a suburb with closer shopping or are you looking to be closer to nightlife/entertainment?

Old 08-03-2010, 10:36 AM

We currently live in Monroe, LA. Our budget will be relatively low at least until we both find jobs in the area. We definitely want to rent at first probably an apartment, one or two bedroom. I guess $1000 a month would be the upper end of our budget at first, but if we could find something cheaper it would be great. We enjoy listening to bands and the nightlife ,but at the same time we don't want to be right next to a noisy nightclub. We also have two dogs, so a place close to parks would be nice. We also love art, museums, cooking, and shopping.

Old 08-05-2010, 10:08 AM

If you don't mind a 15-30 minute drive (depending on traffic) to restaurants, art, museums, etc. I'd suggest Bellevue. My wife and I live out here and love it. There are lots of apartment complexes out here that would be in your budget for a 1 bedroom and probably even for a 2 bedroom.

We ended up subletting a condo, but when we looked at rental properties we liked Hillmeade on 70 South. I've heard Wyndchase is pretty nice too a little bit further out 70 South. (I know one person who lives at Lakes of Bellevue and does not like it.) I think there's another place called Colonial Grand or something like that on Old Hickory Blvd near Rt 100 that is also pretty nice.

I'm guessing you could probably get a 1-bedroom somewhere in Bellevue for ~$800.

You'd be very near one of the biggest, best parks in Nashville - the Warner Parks. That's also the home of one of Nashville's three dog parks - Nashville Dog Parks

Other areas to consider -

- Germantown - near the Farmers Market, lots of restaurants and the Cupcake Collection! Definitely more of an urban feeling.

- The Gulch. Again, very hip, modern and urban, with lots within walking distance. You could walk to the Frist Art Museum easily. Not sure what's in your budget there, but maybe you could rent one an unsold condo in one of the towers there for less than $1000/month.

- Sylvan Park. Maybe renting a small house? It's an up-and-coming area, popular with many young professionals. Relatively safe, especially closer to West End, from what I can tell.

- Green Hills. Lots of apartment complexes around Hillsboro Road, near the mall. Downside is lots of traffic, but you're still in the city and close to pretty much everything. Very centrally located. You should be able to get a 1-bedroom here too for ~$800 or 900, but it probably will be a bit smaller and older than out in Bellevue.

There's also a dog park at Centennial Park I think so you'd be relatively close to there if you lived in Green Hills or Sylvan Park.

With your budget, you may need to compromise somewhere (older and cheaper, nicer but further out) but I think you should be able to find something safe but with easy access to all the attractions of the city.

Good luck with your move! Hope you find happiness in Nashville

Old 08-05-2010, 10:54 AM

Well said, aaron. Those are all great places. If I could give you more rep, I would.

You might also look around the Brentwood/Nipper's Corner area. Not too far from Nashville but you should be able to find something decent in your price-range. No really amazing nightlife in the immediate area, though.

I'd check Craigslist to see what apts are going for in the area before you fall too much in love with one area or another. Likewise, you usually can find affordable housing near colleges (and there are many around here) but that has its pros and cons too.

Good luck and let us know if you have more questions.

Old 08-05-2010, 11:56 AM

Thank you guys very much for all the helpful information. I had no clue where to even begin looking in Nashville. Now I at least have some direction. Thanks again!

Old 08-05-2010, 02:47 PM

My pleasure, logan_leann.

Please don't hesitate to ask if you have any specific questions as you get closer to the move.

Old 08-06-2010, 11:19 AM

22 posts, read 42,122 times
Very good suggestions from aaronmidnight. The Inglewood area of East Nashville might meet some of your criteria and be one to add to your list to consider. Close to the action of Five Points, and Downtown Nashville, but also some yard space and individual homes in your price range.

Old 08-06-2010, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin in Cool Springs View Post
Very good suggestions from aaronmidnight. The Inglewood area of East Nashville might meet some of your criteria and be one to add to your list to consider. Close to the action of Five Points, and Downtown Nashville, but also some yard space and individual homes in your price range.
Very true...and I'm a fan of East Nashville in general...but I always tell people that it is a transition neighborhood. Meaning that one block may be great, and then a mile down the road is a very rough patch. So you have to exercise some caution and good judgement.

I looked at Inglewood when we bought our first home and it was definitely an option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville