Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 12:07 PM

8 posts, read 33,529 times

Advertisements

My husband has been offered a job in Nashville and we're seriously considering it but I'm worried that, because I'm not a religious person that I may not mesh well with the people there. I've been to Nashville a few times and it looks like a terrific city so I'm curious what others think?

I don't want to be the ugly northerner (I live in Washington DC) and I mean absolutely no disrespect to anyone, but I really want to find out- is religion a dominating factor in the area?
Again, I'm not out to create a religious debate. I just wanted your thoughts? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2007, 12:27 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,204,585 times
I'm confused. Didn't you just post in another thread that you'd live in Nashville for eight years. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding something.

Old 06-25-2007, 02:11 PM

51 posts, read 301,022 times
You also posted this same question in the North Carolina section and said "I loved everything about Nashville EXCEPT for the religious factor." So what's the deal?

Old 09-27-2009, 12:35 PM

3,982 posts, read 10,458,760 times
I am also curious about how religious the area is.

Alot of the brochures that talk up nashville go on and on about how many churches per capita, etc...

Old 09-27-2009, 12:47 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,204,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
I am also curious about how religious the area is.

Alot of the brochures that talk up nashville go on and on about how many churches per capita, etc...
There are a lot of churches here (some are huge; I sometimes joke that Brentwood will someday be covered by one giant church), and some synagogues, and mosques, and one Hindu temple on a hill that looks like it came straight from Calcutta.

Whether you go to church is your business. You probably will be invited to go to church by a few friends or neighbors, but most people will respect your decision and not hound you about it (there are exceptions, of course). I personally don't go to church and it's not a problem.

Old 09-27-2009, 01:05 PM

210 posts, read 587,720 times
You would get hounded about not believe in God or going to church about as much as i would because i believe in God and go to church if i were to move to some liberal area. Most won't care about what you believe, but there be people that will look at you like you are an alian..lol. but i would expect the same being in my shoes if i were to move to lets say...San Francisco. Come on to nashville...we accept all kinds!

Old 09-27-2009, 06:22 PM

1,287 posts, read 3,335,524 times
I used to live in San Francisco. I'm a liberal AND a believer (gasp! yes, we're out there everywhere...even in Nashville!) No one ever gave me any grief about going to church. There are a lot of churches in SF.

Now I live in Franklin. We go to a great church that focuses on spirituality and NOT religion. We're not hardcore bible thumpers by any means and again, we've never had any hassles. One of my best friends here is married to a pastor on staff at Brentwood Baptist...a humongous church in the area, I've socialized with her friends and nobody has even asked me where I go or if I go to church.

My point is...there are all kinds everywhere. you really can't pigeon hole an area based on stereotypes.

Old 09-27-2009, 06:25 PM

1,287 posts, read 3,335,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
There are a lot of churches here (some are huge; I sometimes joke that Brentwood will someday be covered by one giant church), and some synagogues, and mosques, and one Hindu temple on a hill that looks like it came straight from Calcutta.

Whether you go to church is your business. You probably will be invited to go to church by a few friends or neighbors, but most people will respect your decision and not hound you about it (there are exceptions, of course). I personally don't go to church and it's not a problem.

From my perspective, people invite you to church just to be nice. It's an important part of their life and they're trying to include you. Much like the way we'd say "stop over on Sunday afternoon and watch the game with us!" back home in Green Bay. If you answer politely one way or another, there shouldn't be a problem. If you're a jerk and insulting in your response, you might get an unfriendly reaction right back.

Old 09-27-2009, 11:03 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,887,919 times
I've lived in Nashville off and on for 10 years. Never went to church once while I've been here. (not that I'm proud of that, I'm actually kind of ashamed. ) However, I've never, not once, been talked to from anyone about religion the whole time I've been here.

Old 09-28-2009, 07:21 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,467,934 times
I am an active member of a church and I can honestly say that I don't think less of anyone who doesn't go. I don't try to proselytize...but if religion comes up in converstion, I've invited folks to church before. But I think the vast majority of people here are the same way...polite about religion. It's a personal decision and I respect that.

Religion is a very important part of the community here (we're sometimes called the "buckle of the Bible Belt") but I don't think non-church goers experience discrimination, etc very often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville