Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2010, 07:20 AM

145 posts, read 515,472 times

Advertisements

I started in Middle TN in Hendersonville in 2004 (older townhouse with awful neighbors). Then to a new White House townhouse in 2007.

Well, I gave it my best shot. White House and townhouse living are not for me. I got sick and hospitalized for surgery while here (I'm fine now!), lost my favorite job to a layoff (still unemployed and surviving on the husband's income alone, but I want/need to be working). Never was happy a single day since moving here. Nothing against White House, but it was the wrong fit for us.

So...I am moving to Gallatin. Found an adorable small ranch in perfect condition about the same size as the townhouse I just sold in White House. Getting a terrific mortgage rate. It is sad so many people are not buying homes because these rates are insane! My favorite church is what steered me to Gallatin. My husband has friends in the area, too. But he works in Nashville and I already worry about the commute times.

It is nice that someone else takes care of the grounds in a townhouse, but there's no substitute for a single family home. I tried to move either back to Hendersonville or to Mount Juliet or to Donelson, but the homes in my price range were in horrifically bad condition (people, FIX YOUR HOMES if you want to SELL THEM!) The lack of pride of ownership was appalling and house hunting, instead of being fun, was upsetting.

I really wanted to shorten my commute to Nashville, but instead added about 3 miles compared to my White House commute. Hopefully I will not regret it. I like 386 out of Gallatiin more than I like I-65 out of White House, especially that downhill windy turn down the ridge.

QUESTIONS:
1. Any Gallatin people here? I drive out there plenty for shopping, but still have to learn the important stuff, like where is the good PIZZA in Gallatin (yep, another pizza thread). I am originally a Jersey girl (nothing like the ones portrayed on TV, though).

2. How do you feel about the commute? I will be living close to 386, so thankfully not too much time on back roads.

3. Also, how are the utility costs? I will have all Gallatin utilities (water, sewer, electric, gas). No more WHUD or CEMC after I move.

4. Finally, anyone know of anyone that needs a secretary/administrative assistant in or near Gallatin? I am having the hardest time finding a job and I have been in this occupation my entire life. Never took me more than a month to find work. Now it's been more than a year.

Also, let me apologize for any negativity I may have expressed in other threads. As you can tell above, the hardships I faced since moving to White House have really taken control of my attitude, and not in the best of ways. I am hoping I find the happiness I lost when I move to Gallatin. I was happy in Hendersonville, too, but simply could not find a home that had the features I wanted without needing to be a complete renovation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2010, 09:03 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,472,204 times
As I stated in another thread, I'm on the Hendersonville/Gallatin border so I'm up there quite a bit. I'll take a stab at your questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiddleTNresident View Post
but the homes in my price range were in horrifically bad condition (people, FIX YOUR HOMES if you want to SELL THEM!) The lack of pride of ownership was appalling and house hunting, instead of being fun, was upsetting.
I'm sure part of that is because of the economy...people staring down foreclosure aren't prone to fixing the place up if the bank is going to take over I guess. But I know what you're saying. Even a few years ago when we looked I was amazed at the condition of some homes on the market. Not appealing at all.

Quote:
QUESTIONS:
1. Any Gallatin people here? I drive out there plenty for shopping, but still have to learn the important stuff, like where is the good PIZZA in Gallatin (yep, another pizza thread). I am originally a Jersey girl (nothing like the ones portrayed on TV, though).
Sadly, I haven't found any "great" pizza places. Jet's Pizza in Hendersonville is good, Painturo's across from Vol State Community College is pretty popular (fast food Italian and pizza) but I'm not too wild about their pizza.

Quote:
2. How do you feel about the commute? I will be living close to 386, so thankfully not too much time on back roads.
The commute isn't bad at all IMO. But I'm < 5 minutes off the bypass. If I had to drive 10 or more minutes just to get on the bypass, it would be a different story. How close is your new home to the bypass?

It also depends on what time of day you're heading into town. I'm on the bypass no later than 6:30. On the rare days I have something come up and don't get on until 7:00 or so, it makes a huge difference and is much slower going in.

Quote:
3. Also, how are the utility costs? I will have all Gallatin utilities (water, sewer, electric, gas). No more WHUD or CEMC after I move.
Are you sure that you'll have Gallatin utilities? We have WHUD and CEMC where I'm at.

Quote:
4. Finally, anyone know of anyone that needs a secretary/administrative assistant in or near Gallatin?
Wish I could help you. I'd say just keep at it and drop resumes off at doctors' offices, law offices...anywhere you can think of. It certainly can't hurt.

Best of luck in your move. Let us know if you have more questions or if we can help.

Old 08-12-2010, 02:45 PM

145 posts, read 515,472 times
I am probably under 5 minutes to the bypass also, but I am where the bypass ends, not far from Long Hollow Golf Course, so my commute will be for the entire stretch. Yes, I am sure about my utilities--Gallatin electric, gas, water and sewer. My house is within the incorporated city limits. I went to all the utilities today to fill out applications for service and they confirmed they were my service providers.

Old 08-13-2010, 07:31 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,472,204 times
That's great...you probably will have cheaper water than we do. WHUD is pretty expensive for some reason.

Being so close to the bypass will make your commute seem quicker. Plus once you get past Indian Lake and Saundersville Road, the bypass really seems to open up and be less traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville