Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 04:13 PM

33 posts, read 284,351 times

Advertisements

Having been to the state of Tennessee at one point in my travels, I know from viewing alone it's very pretty.. the people I can't say I remember, simply because I was travelling through on my way to Alabama from New York.. but.. it was nice. Seemed to have the Southern Charm, but everyone was nice from what I remember.

Since it's going to be an ongoing process for the next month or so, determining where "home" is going to be will undoubtedly be a challenge. I want to narrow down my choices to 2 or 3 places before I go travelling all over the country in search of "the perfect place". Let me just say with the cost of housing (we'll be renting for a few years, atelast), the jobs, and what looks like the wages, it seems the state of Tennessee as a whole is fantastic.. and from the posts I've read in this forum, it seems like Nashville would be the most open to a young interracial couple. My fiance is black and I'm your average white guy.. we're looking for somewhere affordable, nice in appearance, and as little racism as possible. I totally understand you're going to get it everywhere (it was extensive in Phoenix.. and I totally thought it would have been the opposite), so I'm not looking for Lollipop Land in the village of Magical Trees, just someplace to call home. We intend to have children in the next 5-7 years, so that's going to be an important factor here.. in terms of their overall acceptance in schools. I've moved all over the country both job related and not, and honestly I want a final move. My fiance is born and raised here in California, but a lot of the areas are just way too pricy, and the job market is not stable. I want to get away from the high cost of living to some place I can comfortably afford rent, groceries, and still have money to go to the movies!

Nashville sounds appealing.. I just don't want a place that's going to have people jumping down our throats and spitting epitaphs at my fiance just because of her skin color. So to my native Nashvillans (or whatever it is you folks are known as), how would your city and suburbs react to a young couple like I described? We're very queit, we want friends somewhere, and don't want to be outcasts! Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2007, 06:53 PM

13,353 posts, read 39,963,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clortho1 View Post
Having been to the state of Tennessee at one point in my travels, I know from viewing alone it's very pretty.. the people I can't say I remember, simply because I was travelling through on my way to Alabama from New York.. but.. it was nice. Seemed to have the Southern Charm, but everyone was nice from what I remember.

Since it's going to be an ongoing process for the next month or so, determining where "home" is going to be will undoubtedly be a challenge. I want to narrow down my choices to 2 or 3 places before I go travelling all over the country in search of "the perfect place". Let me just say with the cost of housing (we'll be renting for a few years, atelast), the jobs, and what looks like the wages, it seems the state of Tennessee as a whole is fantastic.. and from the posts I've read in this forum, it seems like Nashville would be the most open to a young interracial couple. My fiance is black and I'm your average white guy.. we're looking for somewhere affordable, nice in appearance, and as little racism as possible. I totally understand you're going to get it everywhere (it was extensive in Phoenix.. and I totally thought it would have been the opposite), so I'm not looking for Lollipop Land in the village of Magical Trees, just someplace to call home. We intend to have children in the next 5-7 years, so that's going to be an important factor here.. in terms of their overall acceptance in schools. I've moved all over the country both job related and not, and honestly I want a final move. My fiance is born and raised here in California, but a lot of the areas are just way too pricy, and the job market is not stable. I want to get away from the high cost of living to some place I can comfortably afford rent, groceries, and still have money to go to the movies!

Nashville sounds appealing.. I just don't want a place that's going to have people jumping down our throats and spitting epitaphs at my fiance just because of her skin color. So to my native Nashvillans (or whatever it is you folks are known as), how would your city and suburbs react to a young couple like I described? We're very queit, we want friends somewhere, and don't want to be outcasts! Thanks so much!
Nashville is probably the most "progressive" city in Tennessee. I have friends in Knoxville who are biracial and have experienced no problems at all in Knoxville. I would imagine that it would be the same in Nashville. Just remember, however, that racism goes both ways; it's not always white people who are racist.

Old 06-26-2007, 04:15 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,213,753 times
I don't think you'll have much trouble in most parts of Tennessee, however, as you mentioned, you may occasionally get a "odd look" from someone--this would be more likely in the more rural and self-contained corners of the state. And, of course, stay out of real redneck bars out on some remote highway. Some people get a lot stupidier and a lot braver when they've had a few beers and out-number someone ten-to-one. Frankly, I'd stay out of them too and I'm white.

I suspect if you have any problem at all in Nashville, it would be in certain prodominately black neighborhoods if you go there (inner city). Sometimes a white guy with a black woman isn't taken well in those areas. You might hear comments such as: "What, are you too good for a black man, sister?" and that sort of thing. I'm not sure, but I've heard of that happening.

Again, I don't think you'd have much trouble, I was just mentioning some things that you could experience. I think most people in Tennessee have a "live and let live" type of philosophy, regardless of whether they're what others consider "progressive" or not.

Old 10-14-2007, 01:25 PM

16 posts, read 99,124 times
this is the most judgmental/racist place I have ever been. But I'm from So Cal...... I say RUN LIKE THE WIND........

Old 10-14-2007, 02:00 PM

597 posts, read 2,108,832 times
Judging from the tone of his/her posts, I believe 2004idiot is having a credibility problem. I'm a native and just can't identify with what you say. Perhaps the problem doesn't rest with us, ya think? Interracial couples have been part of our lives for so long now, it just doesn't register that there's anything to it other than a man and woman so engaged in a relationship. If I'm missing something about my hometown, please present some evidence. Maybe you should just find new places to hang out. Cortho1, I hope you come here and I hope you'll be very happy.

Old 10-14-2007, 07:56 PM

13 posts, read 73,891 times
Default I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by IngleDave View Post
Judging from the tone of his/her posts, I believe 2004idiot is having a credibility problem. I'm a native and just can't identify with what you say. Perhaps the problem doesn't rest with us, ya think? Interracial couples have been part of our lives for so long now, it just doesn't register that there's anything to it other than a man and woman so engaged in a relationship. If I'm missing something about my hometown, please present some evidence. Maybe you should just find new places to hang out. Cortho1, I hope you come here and I hope you'll be very happy.
Yes 2004 idiot seems to have quite a chip on their shoulder. I am from a very open minded part of the country as well, in fact it seems much less segregrated in Nashville than in many parts of the north and northeast. I don't think you'll have a problem.

Old 10-15-2007, 09:54 AM

I have never had white people use the N word in front of me, as if it were acceptable, like they have here. I even had a BOSS talk like that. Yep... since I'm white that moron THOUGHT it was ok. It hasn't been the only time. I have been unfortunate enough to run into the most closed minded and hateful people of my life, here in Nashville. If anyone can tell me where to go to get away from them.... please TELL ME.

I also DO NOT appreciate "christians' here telling people they are going to hell. Antoher nice thing here in Nashville........ people playing God.

Old 10-15-2007, 10:02 AM

13,353 posts, read 39,963,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2004idiot View Post
I have never had white people use the N word in front of me, as if it were acceptable, like they have here. I even had a BOSS talk like that. Yep... since I'm white that moron THOUGHT it was ok. It hasn't been the only time. I have been unfortunate enough to run into the most closed minded and hateful people of my life, here in Nashville. If anyone can tell me where to go to get away from them.... please TELL ME.

I also DO NOT appreciate "christians' here telling people they are going to hell. Antoher nice thing here in Nashville........ people playing God.
Well, since you said that Nashville has the most closed minded and hateful people, then apparently you can go anywhere and improve your situation. And since Nashville has a nice airport that offers just as many out-bound flights as in-bound, and since there are six interstate spokes that have lanes going away from Nashville as well as lanes coming into Nashville from all directions, it's not that hard to leave town. So, since it's so bad for you in Nashville, why torture yourself by staying?

Old 10-15-2007, 11:49 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,321,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2004idiot View Post
Did you not know TN, all of it, is part of what is considered the "Bible Belt"? Did you you do any research before moving to Nashville? Not to say people telling other people they are going to hell is part of it, but the talk of religion WILL and does come up quite often in TN, AL, GA, KY, etc.

Old 10-15-2007, 01:44 PM

as soon as I can sell my house without losing my shirt, I WILL leave. unfortunately, a relative was my realtor. he sold me a house in Antioch. Now I have to sell a house in Antioch without losing my down-payment/equity.

IF this were the "Bible Belt' they would believe God when he tells us NOT to judge other people..... so "Bible belt" is a lie. thanks. I found that out after I got here. As a Christian I would NOT treat people the way people treat others here. I prefer RUDE and pissed off NON Christians... to closet Christians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
View detailed profiles of: