Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2010, 11:12 PM

32 posts, read 57,307 times

Advertisements

I finally made the move and after many, many hours and hours of work I am very close to being fully settled in! I can truly say that I feel as if I have never lived anywhere else!

Here is where I need your help...

My 22 year old "city boy" is coming for a visit from 8/26 - 8/30 and I need some suggestions on where to bring him. I am going to bring him to Nashville Shores one day and spend one day with family we have here - but I need some other things to do with him as well. If it is a bar or club you suggest, please let it be in a safe location - I don't know my way too well being here only 2 weeks and we will be going alone.
Maybe if I tell you a little about him it will be more helpful to you with suggesting what to do. First things first... he is ONE OF THOSE that think there is not a soul in TN that has a full set of teeth - Sorry about that.. he is my son.. but ignorant... He loves going out in NYC, loves the sun, water, wine, beer, and unfortunately is a little hard to please at times.
Please don't take the ignorance seriously. He is one of those people who has never traveled outside a 60 mile radius of his home. He is a great kid - just ignorant to what else is out there.

I appreciate any suggestions you may have!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2010, 05:42 AM

1,287 posts, read 3,336,934 times
We have four college aged kids. None of them moved here with us but they love to visit. Every one of them was pleasantly surprised with how many different things there are to do in Nashville.

Remind your boy that your zip code doesn't automatically grant you class and intelligence. Then take him to The Patterson House.

Old 08-13-2010, 05:56 AM

3,963 posts, read 10,632,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunky View Post
Then take him to The Patterson House.
It was good enough for Gwyneth Paltrow!

Old 08-13-2010, 06:48 AM

1,398 posts, read 2,509,390 times
Please make sure that he sees the sides of Nashville that are NOT trying to be "little New Yorks". I've heard Patterson House is very nice. Also see if he will like those places that are unique to Nashville (Second Ave and Broadway, where he'll see people with and without teeth LOL)... and there are places in the Vandy/West End that he'd also find cool... and don't forget about those places along 12South (Mafiaoso's, etc.) and those around Division and 21st (Bound'ry and Layla, etc.). If he's really homesick, there's the Gulch. You can go to all those areas without hitting any chains, and do a very good job of avoiding the run-of-the-mill.

Old 08-13-2010, 07:37 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,472,204 times
I'd also toss out Family Wash in East Nashville or the Five Points area in East Nashville. Gwyneth went to Family Wash for the Shepherd's Pie. They always have good music there too and it's a very hipster vibe. One of my favorite places in Nashville.

You might also let him check out Hillsboro Village. A very young college scene near Vanderbilt and Belmont. Good coffee house over there in Fido's, Pancake Pantry is well-known to be a celebrity hangout and is a popular place to eat breakfast. While you're in that part of town, be sure to drive through (or stop in) Centennial Park off of West End, home of the Parthenon. That usually impresses out of towners who think we're all hicks.

If you go to the Gulch, be sure to stop in Yazoo Brewery and Taproom for the city's best beer.

Old 08-13-2010, 07:56 AM

22 posts, read 42,335 times
Love thge Gulch and the Family Wash suggestions. Virago near Vanderbilt and Music Row would be a must see from what you describe. Later in the evenings (club) Mai, then maybe Losers for some local vibe. shinestx makes a great point though... Whether it is goofing off in NashVegas on Broadway, playing into the joke with NashTrash Tours, or even breakfast down at the Franklin Mercantile Deli in historic Franklin (by the window) -- share *some* vintage Nashville too :-)

Old 08-13-2010, 10:47 AM

1,287 posts, read 3,336,934 times
Most definitely. Nashville wouldn't be Nashville without all of those things. Just roll with it and enjoy whatever you do. I've lived all over the world...I believe you have to really work at it to NOT have fun in Nashville!

Old 08-16-2010, 09:35 PM

32 posts, read 57,307 times
Thank you so much for all of your replies! I cant wait to see these things myself!
My one question is what time of day is best to take him around Broadway? Remember... he is 22 and being his mother I am older... LOL so I don't want to be the old bitty in some of these places - LOL

Old 08-17-2010, 06:25 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,472,204 times
I don't hit Broadway too much, but the times I have I've seen folks of all ages all times. Later in the night it tends to be younger (after 9-10 or so) but even then you are not going to stick out I don't think. It is such a tourist mecca that folks of all ages hang out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville