Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 10:47 PM

16 posts, read 39,616 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am from Nashville but currently live in Huntsville. Will be moving back to the Nashville area soon with my husband. I am from the Hermitage/Old Hickory area and know alot about that area but not too much about others. He will be working in Brentwood and we would liketo live anywhere BUT Davidson county. We are considering Mt. Juliet (which I am familiar with) but it is kinda of far from Brentwood. Maybe Hendersonville but it seems too far too. Franklin/Brentwood is out of our price range. What about Thompson's Station? Nolensville? or Spring Hill?? I am not too crazy about the crowd of Cool Springs and I'm thinking if we live in any of those areas we would be limited to Cool Springs for shopping, eating etc.....

Just wondering how convenient Thompson's Station is..what are schools like and what are the residents like...we DO NOT want to live in an area like Antioch..we prefer a decent area with decent residents..but not snooty.

Thanks so much in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2010, 03:50 AM

2,428 posts, read 5,545,726 times
What is your price range? I think knowing that will allow the other posters to give you good suggestions.

Old 08-18-2010, 07:33 AM

3,760 posts, read 7,089,032 times
Yes, price range is important. And are you buying or renting . . duh, I guess the price range will give us that information. Thompson's Station is a good 30 minutes from Franklin.

Old 08-18-2010, 07:57 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,470,452 times
I made the commute from Mt Juliet and Hendersonville to the Cool Springs area for a number of years. It's about 45-50 minutes on a normal day. If you're working in Brentwood it will be a little shorter. It is not a fun commute, but we had no desire to move to Williamson County having all our family on the north side of town. It's definitely do-able, but not necessarily enjoyable.

Old 08-18-2010, 09:02 AM

455 posts, read 1,140,083 times
The Grassland area of Franklin is actually incredibly close to Brentwood and I'd say relatively affordable. Maybe look around Fieldstone Farms?

Like septimus wrote, knowing your budget is really important. Are you looking for a house less than 500K or less than 200K? (You can definitely get something in Fieldstone Farms for less than 500K, but probably not less than 200K.)

Are you willing to consider a condo or are you only interested in a single-family home?

These types of specifics will help folks give you better advice!

And...welcome home!!

Old 08-18-2010, 09:12 AM

3,760 posts, read 7,089,032 times
I just moved to Fieldstone, the weekend of the flood. I thought I wanted more 'space' but this house is turning out to be really good for us. And there's a LOT around here just over $200,000. And I think there are some condo/townhouses for less than $200,000. The location is great. Cool Springs is over the hill, maybe 12 - 15 minutes but 'the hill' buffers the 'madness' over there in terms of traffic. I looked around Grassland, too . . . more in the $300,000 range. I really liked River Rest? Some of the older houses across from Legends Ridge or Legends something (megamansions) are really nice but on septic at the moment. Was told if the City brought sewer to that neighborhood, there would be a big assessment. But nice big grassy lots.

Old 08-18-2010, 09:15 AM

455 posts, read 1,140,083 times
Were you OK in the flood, CountryGirl2B=? I heard that some parts of Fieldstone were flooded, but that other parts were fine. I guess (hope) you were on a high part of the development!

Old 08-18-2010, 09:27 AM

3,963 posts, read 10,631,058 times
Check Falcon Creek (Franklin) too. I see 6 listings there on MLS, from 189-238K. That would make for an easy commute to Brentwood.

Good luck, wherever you choose!

Old 08-19-2010, 04:01 AM

2,428 posts, read 5,545,726 times
This is one thing I don't get about this area... people say Williamson isn't affordable... Where we moved from the cheapest housing unit for sale is a basement studio apartment for over $250k. Franklin, at least to me, seems to have housing at all price points. There are trailers with signs advertising them for rent for less than $300/mo, condos and houses under $200k. Yes you'll get something newer and slightly larger if you move out of town, but the fact that there is something available at that price point seems to indicate affordability in my mind.

Fieldstone has a few listings under $200k.

I would say Brentwood isn't "affordable" because it doesn't have the diversity of housing stock that Franklin does.

Old 08-19-2010, 04:56 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
Agreed. It depends on where you look in Williamson.
Franklin and the farther areas are more affordable than Brentwood, which has school zones in which the cheapest house is $359,000.
A lot of people on this forum seem to want to be in Nashville but don't want Nashville schools, so they may first end up looking in Brentwood, where the median home price right now is more than $500K.
Of course, not every house in Brentwood costs that, but if you want new ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville