Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 08:06 AM

3,760 posts, read 7,086,830 times

Advertisements

This is my first house, first yard to take care of. It is NOT very big but the previous owner has a lot of plants. I know some are tropical cannas, and there are some knock out roses, and these tall sprawly branchy things with what LOOKS like lilacs on the ends but not the smell and they are just blooming NOW.

Also some daisy things . . . yellow with big black pop pom centers.

The lilac looking things grew from some sticks that were about 2 feet high.

What do I do with all the plants when winter comes. When they die (like the daisies) do I just 'cut them back'? To what? an inch above the ground? 6 inches? Do I just let them fall over and turn back into the earth?

Do I just chop the lilac things? WHEN do I chop them, or will they tell me? What about the knock out roses?

I just need to know what do to with the plants so they will come back next year. And specifics on the knock out roses and the lilac things, if possible.

It's a lovely little garden and I don't want to get over zealous with a power saw.

THANKS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2010, 08:15 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,467,934 times
Can you post some pictures of the plants you're not sure about? The daisies sound like Black Eyed Susans. They reseed but are annuals, so you'll want to clear them out when they start getting puny after the frosts set in. Knockout Roses are really hearty plants. I think you're not supposed to do much to them in the winter...certainly don't prune them. They'll pop back in early spring. Not sure about lilacs.

I'd also consider going to your local nursery/plant store (not Lowe's or Home Depot...while there are some fine folks there I find I get better advice at locally-owned store) and ask them what they think. I've forgotten what part of town you're in, but I suggest Needham's and Moss' in Mt. Juliet or Long Hollow Nursery in Hendersonville. All of those guys are professionals and very helpful.

EDIT: for next year, I suggest setting out some vinca. They are very hearty flowers and grow to be very thick. Almost like a small bush sometimes. They're drought resistant (one or two waterings a week will keep them alive) and they love the sun. I've planted them every year and they always look beautiful and require little work. Marigolds are also good that way too, but they sometimes require a little more water.

Old 08-27-2010, 08:17 AM

374 posts, read 693,063 times
If you really want to get into it I'd suggest picking up a copy of The Southern Living Garden Book (list price $35 so get it used on eBay or Half.com?). I had the Western version when I lived in CA. and it has just about everything a beginner needs to know to help you identify plants and their needs.

This site might help you identify the plant if you can't figure it out: Welcome to the PLANTS Database | USDA PLANTS

Old 08-27-2010, 08:20 AM

Also, you might ask folks in the Garden Forum of C-D:

//www.city-data.com/forum/garden/

I think pictures are the key, though.

Old 08-27-2010, 09:41 AM

597 posts, read 2,107,957 times
You might also ask yourself how much time you're willing to spend to maintain your gardens. I've already started on my Fall and Spring preparations. I'll be working till dark and up at dawn to do what I need to do to get the Spring garden show going.

You've done the right thing about trying to identify the plants and shrubs. Each has their own requirements.

But take it easy at first. Most aren't totally obsessed like I am. But you will find me more than willing to talk about it.

Old 08-27-2010, 10:03 AM

Great advice, IngleDave. Having a big garden is a bit like having a pet. Once you commit to it, it requires some work. But little gardens or adding a little bit each year is a much more effective way to do things without breaking the bank or breaking your back.

Old 08-27-2010, 10:23 AM

24 posts, read 41,116 times
The "sprawly branchy things with what LOOKS like lilacs on the ends " probably are young Crape Myrtles. They have no aroma and bloom from July through September in pinks and white colors. You can prune in the spring if you think they need it, but do not cut them back all the way.

You can prune the Knock Out roses in the fall, just cut back the straggley bits. Don't shear all the way to the ground. If you want, you can wait until they start to come back in the Spring and then cut back to your satisfaction.

Those daisy flowers probably are black eyed Susans and they will come back year after year. They tend to take over, so if there are too many, just pull up after a wet day.

Good luck and welcome to Nashville gardening. I'm new here too.

Old 08-27-2010, 11:15 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut423 View Post
The "sprawly branchy things with what LOOKS like lilacs on the ends " probably are young Crape Myrtles. They have no aroma and bloom from July through September in pinks and white colors. You can prune in the spring if you think they need it, but do not cut them back all the way.
I was thinking they might be butterfly bush.

Plus, Peanut, I'm so thankful you spelled crape myrtle correctly!

Old 08-28-2010, 04:59 PM

Just checking how to post pix:

Old 08-28-2010, 05:03 PM

Oh, cool! Now I'll go take some pix of my plants. Thanks SO much to everyone for their help with my garden. Good advice to figure out how much time I want to spend on it. It's NOT my garden. It belonged to the previous owner. That said, she did a nice job and I'm willing to keep it going as long as I can. But no, I can't see me spending every weekend on it. Water, mulch, a snip snip here and a snip snip there . . . some of the plants have black spots on them. I'll take pix. I do think that those are Crape Myrtle. And you don't think I need to cut them way back? I'd say the shoots are about 6 to 8 feet long, so cut the ends off so they are more like 4 feet long????

THANK YOU EVERYBODY! I'll go take pix. In the meantime, anybody remember the Partidge Family?????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville