Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 04:09 PM

253 posts, read 868,983 times

Advertisements

I can't comment about Seattle, however I am in an interracial relationship (I'm white and my husband is Asian) and have a bi-racial child. The only comments I get are how beautiful my child is, nothing in regards to me and my husband. In fact, the only comments I ever recieved, which did happen to be negative, were when we were walking down the street in a large Northeastern city (who would have thought?). Seriously, I don't feel like people care and if they do, then why would you want to associate with them in the first place?
Also, lest us not forget that Nashville is the headquarters for a lot of large companies, not to mention Nissan (which was Los Angeles before Nashville), which has caused a lot of transplants from other states to move in (just read the TONS of posts on this site from the people, who have moved here from the East or West Coast). Hence, the Nashville of today is a lot different than even the Nashville of a couple years ago, your neighbor is just of likely have gone to u-grad at UCLA/Michigan/UConn, etc than Auburn/Bama/UGA. So, to say people here only care about going to church and sports is a bit short-sighted. The OP should have no problem finding a group of people, who share her similar interests, etc in Nashville.
I'd choose Nashville over Seattle any day, the cost of living is far lower and the weather is far better IMO, however I'm not a fan of rain ;-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2010, 05:53 AM

508 posts, read 1,512,808 times
My brother lives in Nashville so I visit often. To me, the bottom line is Nashville is a big enough metro to find any type of people you want to find. In other words, you will find the people that match your interests. Could it be the majority of the population in Nashville? No, but you will find your people. Same goes for finding a potential mate. Can happen anywhere with a decent population.

I think what you need to focus on is what you can numerically and factually account for when comparing both places. Which climate do you prefer? Which job market will be better for you? Can you afford to live the way you want in Seattle (for Nashville you probably don't have to ask that question)?

Old 09-25-2010, 11:13 AM

4 posts, read 11,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmadison2 View Post
Is it really? At a 30% black population per 2000 census (probably higher now) how can there not be a *huge* race issue present? Especially in an old Confederate state?
That figure is actually 27.1% black and is for Nashville proper only which is a Davidson county-city combined govt and comprises the urban area. The metropolitan area is from 8-15 percent depending on which metro designation one uses from different sources. I drew the comparison with Memphis or New Orleans where race is basically everything given majority black populations ringed by more affluent white suburbs....a relatively new development btw from the 80s.

The only thing Confederate state has to do with anything is that it means there will be a large black population and the social issues that come with that...and that appears to bring the same problems anywhere not just here. I lived in Manhattan for 8 years and it was quite segregated by race and still is. Some News Mag just did a mapping on this topic and while much gentrification has occurred since I lived there, that facet has not changed...in fact it's worse as poorer blacks have been pushed out by left leaning but prosperous kids..interesting.

Nashville does indeed have less of this than any other city in the South I know of but it also has the largest white percentage of any larger city in the South.

I am a former lefty-libertarian from the early 70s, I left Nashville proper because now as a conservative I couldn't stomach the folks in the richer parts where I lived as a rule. Their views were just oppressive to me and as much as they speak of tolerance and diversity they sure didn't tolerate the diversity I brought...as a conservative. Hence it works both ways and it really starts to grind on you when you have children to raise in an environment that eschews your value system....instead were I a liberal I would prefer to live amongst other liberals and Nashville proper around Vandy or Hillsboro Village or East Nashville hipster area would be fine but you better be prepared for higher taxes...much higher, more gun control, more restrictions on zoning and codes, more entitlements, more minority based pet projects, unfettered abortion, politically correct schools where the word Christmas is outlawed, kids can't play combat, can't speak of hunting and so forth.<p> I got 5 kids from 3-22 and I'm very glad we left for the countryside and I hope more libs don't move in here to Williamson county but I fear they will. They always move to where it's pretty and idyllic and then change it to like where they came from that they complained about in the first place. It's like a cycle. I have seen Colorado...especially Boulder, Santa Fe, Charlottesville, Asheville NC, Vermont, Austin Texas, Orange County CA and now Nashville all go this way in my life. All the 60s lefties moved in and changed it bigtime and now Gen X and Y lefty kids are doing it again.

So...anyone who does like that sort of place should have no problem being happy and finding what they want yes even in the old Confederacy but maybe, for folks really out there ....watermelons as my cousin who also loives in SF calls himself...green on the outside and red on the inside... might find even Nashville stifling culturally.

Old 09-26-2010, 06:50 AM

46 posts, read 135,545 times
Well, you might not be happy with change but this liberal sure is. It's odd that so many of the places that you claimed were taken over by liberals are thriving. SF is one of the most expensive cities in the nation---a good sign that people want to live there. Austin Texas' big draw is that it is a quirky and creative city. People think it is interesting BECAUSE of its liberal leanings. I've never heard anyone say they are moving there because it's conservative!

Personally, I think that the Vandy area is one of the most interesting and vibrant areas of Nashville and I LOVE living here. It's low in crime and the people are friendly and they keep the area clean and nice. So--what's the problem with liberals?

I don't hunt and I find it to be cruel and primitive but I don't shun people who do. I realize that it doesn't make them bad people...just wish they'd find a less bloody, cruel and more productive hobby.

Oh, Yes, and I might be green but I'm still as red, white, and blue in my heart and soul-- as you are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville