U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 09:22 AM

444 posts, read 984,964 times

Advertisements

As some on the board already know from a recent post of mine, my wife and I have started looking around to buy a home with a pool.

Based on our budget and our desire to buy a home that does not need total renovation, it seems like we only have a few options:

- The subdivisions just north of Old Hickory Blvd between 65 and Edmondson Pike (Is this considered Nippers Corner? South Nashville? Brentwood address, but Granbery elementary school. Zip is 37027)

- Sort of rural part of Bellevue on the west/north side of 40

- Grassland area in the more rural part of Franklin just south of Old Hickory Blvd

or Brentwood proper (one around Moores Lane, one around Crockett Road, both on the east side of 65)

Prices are a bit higher on some of the true Brentwood properties and they're probably considered safer neighborhoods, but commute to downtown is longer than around Nippers Corner.

Is Nippers Corner all that bad if you stay just north of OHB and west of Edmondson Pike? Are there concerns that homes there would go down in value? (Not looking to flip, but don't want house price to be cut in half 10 years from now either.) I hear about safety concerns, but not sure which area is considered dangerous.

I'm guessing all the areas have pros and cons, just looking for others' input.

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2010, 09:39 AM

5,041 posts, read 5,002,708 times
Just north of OHB? Like between 1-65 and Granbery school? That area is fine. There are also some great neighborhoods just south of OHB- along Church Street/Cloverland between the other Cloverland (confusing I know) and Edmondson Pike. And then south on Edmondson Pike towards Brentwood. Fredericksburg, Williams Grove and Banbury Crossing are 3 that come to mind. They all have neighborhood pools and are zoned for Granbery. Granbery is a really great school. You would be fine there. The problem is the junior high. We know lots of teachers and families at Granbery and they are all really happy.
All of those neighborhoods have Brentwood addresses and I consider them to be Davidson County Brentwood more than Nipper's Corner or South Nashville. The area north of Target (Hill Road and above) is called Crieve Hall and parts of it are zoned for Crieve Hall (also good) and part Granbery.

My only hesitation with living there would be having to move when you kids hit middle school. Middle school in Davidson County starts in 5th grade. All of that area is safe and very convenient.

Old 09-09-2010, 09:58 AM

Thanks for the feedback, brentwoodgirl.

Yep, I realize that the address (decided by the USPS) may say 'Brentwood' but that all the area north of OHB (and perhaps some parts just south?) are Davidson County and therefore zoned for Granbery and other Davidson schools.

Don't have any kids yet, so schools are of interest to us but not urgent.

You sound as though you live in the area or at least very familiar with it. So can I ask you how close the dangerous/sketchy areas are to the places you've mentioned above? East side of Nolensville Pike? Between Edmondson and Nolensville Pike? And just how dangerous do you personally think the 'sketchy' areas are? Are you nervous to go there during the day? At night? Or do you personally feel comfortable there any time?

Old 09-09-2010, 01:12 PM

50,000 posts, read 48,260,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronmidnight View Post
East side of Nolensville Pike? Between Edmondson and Nolensville Pike? And just how dangerous do you personally think the 'sketchy' areas are? Are you nervous to go there during the day? At night? Or do you personally feel comfortable there any time?
Personally, I never feel unsafe in that area, but I wouldn't want to live there only because of resale and the number of apartments, proximity to commercial, etc.

There is nowhere in that southeastern part of Nashville that is so sketchy that I wouldn't go there. It's just a lower-income area. Nolensville Road has lots of Hispanic businesses, which is a sign of the apocalypse for some people. It has its share of check-cashing places, hubcap stores, title loan storefronts etc.

If I were to rank those in terms of resale from best to worst (worst still being fine), I'd go Brentwood proper, Granbery, Grassland, Bellevue (if it's Harpeth Valley Elementary).

If you don't have kids, you may like the Granbery area better just because it's not suburbs and closer to stuff to do.

Old 09-09-2010, 01:49 PM

1,977 posts, read 3,697,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Personally, I never feel unsafe in that area, but I wouldn't want to live there only because of resale and the number of apartments, proximity to commercial, etc.

There is nowhere in that southeastern part of Nashville that is so sketchy that I wouldn't go there. It's just a lower-income area. Nolensville Road has lots of Hispanic businesses, which is a sign of the apocalypse for some people. It has its share of check-cashing places, hubcap stores, title loan storefronts etc.

If I were to rank those in terms of resale from best to worst (worst still being fine), I'd go Brentwood proper, Granbery, Grassland, Bellevue (if it's Harpeth Valley Elementary).

If you don't have kids, you may like the Granbery area better just because it's not suburbs and closer to stuff to do.

That taco trucks on Nolensville Rd. far outweigh the negatives though.

The furthest north I would want to live on Nolensville Rd. is Lenox Village. Any closer to OHB and beyond starts to get sketchy, although I do not worry about going over there in the daytime or at night...just be aware of your surroundings. IMHO, if you can't find something in your price range in Brentwood proper, then Grassland or Franklin are great options.

Where will your jobs be? This may dictate housing location.

Old 09-09-2010, 02:04 PM

5,041 posts, read 5,002,708 times
We started out in Green Hills and moved south through Oak Hill and then into Brentwood. My kids went to preschool and private school in that area and we have tons of friends who live there. When we were looking at schools in Davidson County, Granbery was one of the schools we toured and really liked.
I don't consider any of the Davidson County 37027 area sketchy at all. Most of it is really nice. The only area that would be close to sketchy is the part on Nolensville Road. Nolensville Road gets a little rough as it approaches OHB and then rougher as it goes north. I would not go to OHB and Nolensville Road by myself at night. I think 99.5% of the time it would be fine, but there have been a few incidents up there that have made me a little wary. But during the day I have no problem going anywhere on Nolensville Road.
My general parameters for where I would live in that area are south of Ellington Ag Center and west of Edmondson Pike, although there are certainly some exceptions that are outside of that range.
I wouldn't expect that area to go down in value. We have lots of friends who have moved into that Crieve Hall/north of OHB Granvery area that are doctors, pharmacists, architects, etc. And they are doing major renovations on their houses. So they are betting money, literally, that these houses will continue to increase in value.
If we had no kids, we would still live in Nashville. I love Brentwood but we moved here for the schools. I really liked the convenience of living in Nashville. And 37027 Davidson is a great area b/c you are convenient to Nashville and Cool Springs. Best of both worlds. The only disadvantage are the taxes, real estate taxes are quite a bit higher in Nashville than Williamson County.

Old 09-09-2010, 04:05 PM

@brentwoodgirl - So if I understand what you're saying, you'd personally feel comfortable buying in the area bounded by Hogan Road (north), Edmondson Pike (east) and Franklin Pike (west)? Thank you for the insights about the friends of yours who have bought and are renovating in the 37027 area. Also thanks for your personal perspective on Granbery school. That's very helpful!

@bmrisko - I work from home, my wife works at Vanderbilt. So ... it's really the commute time to Vanderbilt that matters most. I realize that the commute would be shorter in Richland, Green Hills, Sylvan Park, Hillsboro Village or 12 South, but we both would really like a newer or nicely renovated house with a pool. That's pretty much impossible in the areas listed above within our budget. Right now we live out in Bellevue on 70 South (subletting a condo). One of the nicest things about being out here is being on a bus line, but I don't think that's going to be much of an option in any of the places I mentioned.

@Wmsn4life - For resale, you ranked Brentwood-Granbery-Grassland-Harpeth Valley. To be honest, the Bellevue areas that appeal to me more in terms of properties and location are more in the Westmeade and Gower elementary areas, though I know that Harpeth Valley has a better reputation. Gower looks like it's just got temporary trailers set up. Are they really making kids study in trailers? I'm hoping maybe they're planning some major renovations there or something...

Old 09-09-2010, 04:27 PM

124 posts, read 255,127 times
aaronmidnight, regarding the commute to vanderbilt, hillsboro road is a surprisingly easy drive for me. I live in west brentwood, but the same would apply to Grassland. It never takes me more than 25 minutes to get to vanderbilt in the mornings, often closer to 20 minutes (I go right through the mall area), and it rarely takes more than 35 minutes to get home (I skirt around northwest of the mall and hook back up with Hillsboro at Harding). It's counterintuitive, but I would imagine that on many days that my commute is quicker than a lot of people who live closer in but have to take 65, at least on the drive home.

Old 09-09-2010, 06:40 PM

50,000 posts, read 48,260,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronmidnight View Post

@Wmsn4life - For resale, you ranked Brentwood-Granbery-Grassland-Harpeth Valley. To be honest, the Bellevue areas that appeal to me more in terms of properties and location are more in the Westmeade and Gower elementary areas, though I know that Harpeth Valley has a better reputation. Gower looks like it's just got temporary trailers set up. Are they really making kids study in trailers? I'm hoping maybe they're planning some major renovations there or something...
Yes, they're called portables. Here in Brentwood we call them learning cottages. ha ha
They look like trailers, but it's not that bad. They are just like a little classroom inside. It's not ideal, but it just means the school is overcrowded. I think a portable is better than having a teacher with his/her supplies on a cart traveling around to whatever classroom is empty during that period.

As far as where to live in Bellevue, if you choose Bellevue, since you don't have kids, you should choose the property you prefer. If you take care of it and price it right when you move, it will sell. A more unique property will sit on the market longer.

Old 09-09-2010, 08:55 PM

222 posts, read 579,733 times
Just a note about schools: There's nothing wrong with Oliver Middle School. It's a great school, and it's in good standing. I just had to throw that out there because not all middle schools in Davidson County are terrible. I'm not sure if every house zoned for Granbery is also zoned for Oliver though many are for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or