Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 03:21 PM

2 posts, read 5,691 times

Advertisements

We're moving to the Nashville area. We're deciding between living in the Goodlettsville/Hendersonville area and the La Vergne/Smyrna area. My husband's job is on the south side of Nashville, near Vanderbilt U. Which location has a shorter drive time at rush hour? Is it better coming from the north or from the south? Any help will be much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2010, 03:40 PM

597 posts, read 2,107,957 times
I travel 24 East, morning outbound and just shake my head and thank my lucky stars I'm not on the other side trying to get into Nashville. I'm the sure the north is the same way coming in...at least from there you'd have Dickerson Road as an alternate or Mboro Rd from the south. Believe me, you'll need one at times. Those are fine until everyone else decides to join you.

Sorry, no help, just a comment.

Old 10-08-2010, 05:52 PM

147 posts, read 334,300 times
Those are both pretty rough commutes really

Old 10-08-2010, 07:10 PM

1,432 posts, read 3,842,137 times
I think the North is a better option because 65 is wider, Hendersonville has a bypass, and Ellington Parkway is a great alternative if there is a wreck.

Old 10-08-2010, 08:55 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,027,010 times
Coming down I-65 from the North, traffic slows down at the Briley/Dickerson/Ellington overpass. It is bumper-to-bumper for roughly three miles until you get to Trinity Lane, but it does move. After that, it clears up for the remaining 2-3 miles into downtown.

Coming up I-24 from Smyrna, traffic completely stops at the Sam Ridley exit. Then it picks up to about 40-50mph through LaVergne and Hickory Hollow, then stops again as you approach Harding Place. From Harding Place to the I-440 split, you are creeping along. At that point, you have two options: Take I-440 to I-65 into downtown, which will be bumper-to-bumper the whole way; or stay on I-24 through the I-40 merge, where traffic will gridlock around Fesslers Lane and again as you round the curve at 2nd/4th Ave.

This should go without saying, but all bets are off from either direction if there is an accident.

There is no "pain-free" commute from any direction in Nashville, but coming up I-24 from the Southeast is the baddest of the bad. My ex lives off Almaville Road in Smyrna, and the ride in from her place was much worse than the ride in from Goodlettsville/Hendersonville.

Old 10-09-2010, 02:56 AM

2,428 posts, read 5,543,931 times
It seems like the traffic reports always focus on the North and East.

I come in from the south usually btwn 8:30-9am and it is a breeze unless there is an accident and that is usually once a month or less.

Old 10-09-2010, 09:13 PM

815 posts, read 2,017,065 times
I-24 from the south east is probally the worst because it is coming from areas with high population, all the way down to Murfreesboro, but has one less lane than 65 north, which doesn't make scence to me why I-24 is not 5 lanes.

Old 10-10-2010, 07:59 AM

1,432 posts, read 3,842,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antioch View Post
I-24 from the south east is probally the worst because it is coming from areas with high population, all the way down to Murfreesboro, but has one less lane than 65 north, which doesn't make scence to me why I-24 is not 5 lanes.

I saw a study a while back that said while Rutherford is, of course, the largest Suburban county, Sumner actually sends the most commuters into Nashville.

Old 10-10-2010, 05:33 PM

2 posts, read 5,691 times
Thanks for all of the input. My husband just found another house between Mt. Juliet and Lebanon. Any info on that commute? He's working on the the SW end of Nashville, near Vanderbilt University.

Old 10-10-2010, 06:55 PM

3,036 posts, read 3,304,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmymikee View Post
Thanks for all of the input. My husband just found another house between Mt. Juliet and Lebanon. Any info on that commute? He's working on the the SW end of Nashville, near Vanderbilt University.
If you work at Vanderbilt, your best bet is to use the Music City Star from Lebanon to downtown + the bus connector that takes you to Vandyland. I understand Vanderbilt pays all or most of the fare? AFAIK the train is on time. Go to the MTA/Music city star site to find travel times.

I-40 from the East can be OK till you get near the Airport. Then you can crawl past I-24 & Fesslers Lane to the downtown loop. Broadway can be a tricky street. Not sure where you will park. You will save a lot of money using the train + bus option.

The area with the least amount of traffic may be from the West. I'm talking about Bellevue & US70S (West End-Harding) or I-40 to Murphy Rd & the West end Vandyland area. MTA route 3 covers the route from here to there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville