Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 10:08 AM

455 posts, read 1,138,771 times

Advertisements

Good points everyone.

bluesky42day - I also love that Nashville has lots of different areas for different kinds of folks. If it weren't for East Nashville, all the hipsters might want to live in my neighborhood! ;-)

(Just kidding hipsters. I'm sure y'all are wonderful people!)

I would never want to push out churches and BBQ places just to make room for pilates studios or sushi bars.

But when an areas is underutilized - and by this I mean vacant offices or vacant stores in close proximity to heavily-utilized areas like Downtown - it just seems like maybe there would be a better use for the place. So for example, maybe all of MetroCenter doesn't need to be redeveloped, but maybe there's a better use for Fountain Square??

Probably all the offices there could be moved into one of the Downtown towers. I mean there's a job training center at Fountain Square and I have to believe it would be easier to get to for most people if it were downtown, especially if folks are relying on public transport since the MTA uses the hub-and-spoke model.

If Fountain Square were emptied of those business - minus the restaurants like Neely's, the Gyro Place, the Italian buffet etc., then maybe it could become a shopping and dining hub? Or maybe part of it could be torn down and replaced with condos? (Not fancy-pants Gulch condos, but mid-range affordable condos.)

Or maybe it could just be a lovely park by the pond?

Anyway, I see this as akin to the discussion of the mostly-abandoned Bellevue Mall. It's not a question of taking a thriving area and changing its character, but rather a question about what to do with an essentially derelict structure in the midst of a growing residential area. The city has some interesting notions about putting a library or a high school there, but nothing has happened yet amid endless negotiations with developers. Obviously, Fountain Square has some businesses, so it's not quite like Bellevue Mall, but it seems at least half-abandoned. Maybe there is an opportunity to do something like Vanderbilt did with 100 Oaks?

@Groovamos - Good points about the levees. I wonder what would have happened if the whole area had stayed flood plains...

To all, I'm generally wary of government trying to micromanage cities, but there's probably a balance to be struck somewhere between complete hands-off anything-goes and heavy-handed "urban renewal" type projects. For instance, what do y'all think about the city trying to redevelop the riverfront with parks and such? I seem to recall a scrapyard on the East side of the river getting flooded in May and lots of speculation that the city could call that a disaster area and force the business to move (since this was a business that had been grandfathered but would not have been allowed to move there under current zoning laws).

@brentwoodgirl - Didn't visit Cupcake Collection on this trip, but have done so numerous times. One of my favorite shops in that nabe and one of the best cupcakeries in the city.

@DonCorleone - Is Blue Moon really great? I've been meaning to try it, but it's a hike for me. Would you suggest the ribs at Blue Moon too? (I didn't try the ribs at Neely's, which could have been my error.)

If y'all like reading food reviews, I've found that Yelp is a great source and I frequently contribute reviews there myself - Aaron M.'s Reviews | Nashville | Yelp

Hope y'all are able to get out and enjoy the gorgeous weather this weekend!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2010, 04:04 PM

940 posts, read 1,900,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronmidnight View Post
Good points everyone.

@Groovamos - Good points about the levees. I wonder what would have happened if the whole area had stayed flood plains...

Hope y'all are able to get out and enjoy the gorgeous weather this weekend!!
A well-known girl-band member is from Houston, drummer for Lez Zeppelin. They work out of NYC but I still see Leesa at Dan Electro's Guitar Bar, and I have played with her at the Thurs. blues jam.

I"m thinking I could show her photos of flooding downtown, explain the scenario and they could write a song for the next disk: "When The Levee Holds"

Band page: //www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1381221706&ref=ts#!/pages/Lez-Zeppelin/103801282992671 (//www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1381221706&ref=ts#%21/pages/Lez-Zeppelin/103801282992671 - broken link)

Is it OK to link to Youtube?

Doin Kashmir on Youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UE3L4QSP2Rc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville