Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 03:58 PM

7 posts, read 17,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeyblondie30 View Post
Actually, I do live near Detroit. I grew up in the 'thumb' area, which is further northeast. I'd like to visit TN even if I don't have an interview lined up. I always wondered how it worked as far as interviews, phone conversations, etc. were concerned when conversing with a potential employer out of state while at work. I guess there is a bit of sneakiness involved from the sounds of it. I don't think graphic design is considered a "techie" job, but Sliverbox is also a graphic designer and had some trouble finding jobs in TN, and he/she had more experience than me. I have about 5-ish years under my belt.

Just out of curiosity, how do you suppose they selected you over a local candidate with the same skills? How did you have the edge over a local, I guess is a better question?
Ah my family is all from Ann Arbor so I've been in that region quite a bit. As far as the sneakiness goes I don't really consider it that sneaky as long as you're going to give them a 2 weeks notice... I'm sure they'll be fine. I've applied for a lot of jobs that were around 2-3 hours away by taking half days. If you have personal days off then by all means take them

It probably didn't really bother my employer to hire me from a distance because they weren't paying to move me. To be honest I doubt most employers would in this current job market anyways. Moving was easy however, as I'm single, I own a house back home and I just put any extra stuff to the garage. So I just picked up and left (I'm renting out the rest of the house).

As far as my skills - I'm somewhat of a rarity in my field. I've got a graphic arts degree and an MBA and I have 4 years of experience doing server side programming for an e-commerce company. I think a lot of it came down to my education, my experience and how much I was able to learn on my own at that job without prompting from management or in house training. Plus interviewing well helps

P.S. But it wasn't all sunshine and rainbows for me finding this job. I applied for a great number of jobs through 5 cities over the length of 3 months and in that time I got a grand total of 4 interviews. The main reasons I'm here are I've been here a couple times and I've always liked it and I got a job here. I suppose moving like this isn't for everyone but I have moved 11 times to about 7 different reegions so moving is not hard for me.

Last edited by jimbabwe00; 10-28-2010 at 04:07 PM.. Reason: Post Script
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2010, 04:04 PM

2,106 posts, read 5,786,169 times
TN definitely does not have a lot of snow removal equipment. We usually got a good solid snow maybe once every 2-3 years. That meant maybe 4-5 inches. Not sure what the situation was for Nashville. School would get shut down even if it started to snow. Sometimes school was called off the night before a storm. We had one major blizzard- the blizzard of 93' which for the area was a once in a lifetime event. We got something like 3 feet of snow. Our power was out for 2 weeks solid because the roads were simply closed down and the utility trucks were unable to get to the lines. We actually drove the tractor to the grocery store. It was sort of fun actually.

The other problem is hail. We seemed to get a lot of it in the spring and summer. My truck to this day has small dent in the hood and roof from a hail storm back when I was in college. Hail also meant there was possibly a tornado nearby. One hit a subdivision about 10 miles from our house. It took out 2-3 houses. Pretty crazy. I remember the sky turned green.

If I were to miss anything it would be summer thunderstorms. I have memories of sitting on the porch and it would be 75 degrees and windy and the sky would be almost black. Then it would come pouring down like mad for about 10-15 minutes then clear off. The other thing was fireflys- or "Lightenin' bugs" as we called them. Our yard would be full of them.

Old 10-28-2010, 05:01 PM

7 posts, read 17,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sliverbox View Post
TN definitely does not have a lot of snow removal equipment. We usually got a good solid snow maybe once every 2-3 years. That meant maybe 4-5 inches. Not sure what the situation was for Nashville. School would get shut down even if it started to snow. Sometimes school was called off the night before a storm. We had one major blizzard- the blizzard of 93' which for the area was a once in a lifetime event. We got something like 3 feet of snow. Our power was out for 2 weeks solid because the roads were simply closed down and the utility trucks were unable to get to the lines. We actually drove the tractor to the grocery store. It was sort of fun actually.

The other problem is hail. We seemed to get a lot of it in the spring and summer. My truck to this day has small dent in the hood and roof from a hail storm back when I was in college. Hail also meant there was possibly a tornado nearby. One hit a subdivision about 10 miles from our house. It took out 2-3 houses. Pretty crazy. I remember the sky turned green.

If I were to miss anything it would be summer thunderstorms. I have memories of sitting on the porch and it would be 75 degrees and windy and the sky would be almost black. Then it would come pouring down like mad for about 10-15 minutes then clear off. The other thing was fireflys- or "Lightenin' bugs" as we called them. Our yard would be full of them.
It was similiar in Louisville. We definitely got hail/tornados/sleet/ice more than we did anywhere else I've been. But the occurance was probably a good deal lower than Nashville, at least on the afternoon storm issue.

The winter is certainly comprable though. I remember one day when I was in highschool class was canceled the entire day because a storm front with snow was supposed to be coming in. It ended up being in the hight 60's low 70's all day and around 8PM that evening a terrible cold front came in and dropped a wholloping 3 inches of snow on the place (which promptly melted).

Old 10-28-2010, 06:52 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,733,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antioch View Post
Not to debate here, but I wouldn't necessarly agree. This past summer was extreem with the length of very hot days in a row. yes summers can be bruital here, however, it is usually one or two weeks when the temps are in the upper 90's. This past summer was an exception, most of the Eastern half experienced extreem heat most of the summer. Summer of 09 was actually a mild summer, July was well below average. Other years summers are pretty bareable with the exceptions of a few weeks in August. Humidity can be rather high.
I guess it depends on a person's tolerance to heat and, even more importantly, humidity. I'm completely miserable from, on average, some time in late April through at least September, and it usually feels fairly warm to me until November, though by then the humidity is lower so it doesn't bother me so much. Anything over 80 and humid I consider miserable, and our average high for July and August is about 89, and it's not at all uncommon to see temps well into the 90s. During a normal summer we'll usually see 100 or so a couple of times. We saw it many times this summer.

Yes, the summers of 08 and 09 were mild, and 07 was horrible (at least August). I realize this summer was worse than usual, but to me summer is always terrible here. Of course, if I had my way I'd live in a place where it never tops 65, so take that into consideration. I get hot very easily, and it takes a lot to make me cold.

As far as the snow, I always assumed it didn't stick because the ground was too warm, didn't know about all the other factors. I only remember one ice storm, but I remember plenty of snow and colder temperatures throughout the 80s. Of course I was too young in the early 80s to remember much of the weather. I have noticed that Nashville usually seems to get a little more snow than Murfreesboro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sliverbox View Post
It rains just about every day, usually at around 3:00.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antioch View Post
You've got it right on, storms almost daily right around 3:00, or 3 to 5, in the summer.
Okay, sometimes I wonder if some of you guys live in a different place, or if Nashville is just that much different from Murfreesboro. It really doesn't rain often here during summer, and yes, when it does it's usually in the afternoon or evening with occasional storms that give us a lot of rain in a short period of time. But what I do see fairly often is maybe 15 minutes of clouds, then sun for the rest of the day. Sometimes we'll get a very tiny amount of sprinkles, then the sun comes back out in full force. That, combined with the increased moisture in the air makes it even more miserable outside. The worst is when it rains and it's still sunny outside. This past summer it seemed to do that almost every time it rained. But I honestly can't recall a summer where I would say it rained almost daily, or even weekly. It seems there is often a chance of showers but nothing usually materializes. And I've very, very rarely seen an afternoon shower cause any cooling-down effect. If anything it usually makes it worse (I know no one mentioned that in this thread, but I've seen it here before).

Old 10-28-2010, 09:21 PM

815 posts, read 2,017,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
I guess it depends on a person's tolerance to heat and, even more importantly, humidity. I'm completely miserable from, on average, some time in late April through at least September, and it usually feels fairly warm to me until November, though by then the humidity is lower so it doesn't bother me so much. Anything over 80 and humid I consider miserable, and our average high for July and August is about 89, and it's not at all uncommon to see temps well into the 90s. During a normal summer we'll usually see 100 or so a couple of times. We saw it many times this summer.

Yes, the summers of 08 and 09 were mild, and 07 was horrible (at least August). I realize this summer was worse than usual, but to me summer is always terrible here. Of course, if I had my way I'd live in a place where it never tops 65, so take that into consideration. I get hot very easily, and it takes a lot to make me cold.

As far as the snow, I always assumed it didn't stick because the ground was too warm, didn't know about all the other factors. I only remember one ice storm, but I remember plenty of snow and colder temperatures throughout the 80s. Of course I was too young in the early 80s to remember much of the weather. I have noticed that Nashville usually seems to get a little more snow than Murfreesboro.

Okay, sometimes I wonder if some of you guys live in a different place, or if Nashville is just that much different from Murfreesboro. It really doesn't rain often here during summer, and yes, when it does it's usually in the afternoon or evening with occasional storms that give us a lot of rain in a short period of time. But what I do see fairly often is maybe 15 minutes of clouds, then sun for the rest of the day. Sometimes we'll get a very tiny amount of sprinkles, then the sun comes back out in full force. That, combined with the increased moisture in the air makes it even more miserable outside. The worst is when it rains and it's still sunny outside. This past summer it seemed to do that almost every time it rained. But I honestly can't recall a summer where I would say it rained almost daily, or even weekly. It seems there is often a chance of showers but nothing usually materializes. And I've very, very rarely seen an afternoon shower cause any cooling-down effect. If anything it usually makes it worse (I know no one mentioned that in this thread, but I've seen it here before).
Yes, many do agree that we did get more snow in the 80's, but I think we may be going back into an 80's winter pattern, I hope, I love winter. The late 90's early 00's were just a little off I think and we had just got used to little to no snow and milder winters, but the past 2 years have proven to be different, or I should say closer to how it was in the 70's, 80's and early 90's, when it was colder and more snow, probally the same case nation wide. To me it seems like Murfreesboro and areas in Nashville south and or east get more snow than areas in Nashville North and West, especially the past few snows, and the explanation for that is because when we get our "real" snows from the gulf they come from the south and usually track right along the Nashville area then right up the east coast, meaning more snow in the southern and easter parts of Davidson county and counties on out, than northwestern Davidson county and counties that way. Example, the big snow last year the Crive Hall neighborhood, southern Davidson, had 7 to 8 inches of snow, where as Hendersonville, Joelton and areas in that area had around 4 inches. I remember it started snowing hard in Antioch at around 10 that morning continuosly, while my co-workers living in Hendersonville said the snow in that area really didn't get bad until around 3 or 4 that afternoon. I think it may have been in December 08 Antioch, Murfreesboro and Franklin all got around 5 inches of snow, while the northern parts of the area got nothing. And if you remember way back to the blizard of 93, those same areas got dumped, while the northwestern areas got much less. And just a few years ago a snow storm came in and gave Columbia and those areas in the south, even parts of Rutherford and Williamsom got like 10 inches of snow, 12 in one county, but Davidson and north got like 3 to 5 inches. Now these are all examples of when we get our real snows, not counting the little 1 incher snows that come from clipper systems.

Old 10-28-2010, 10:34 PM

2 posts, read 1,904 times
Georgia is also a good option with very mild winters!

Old 10-29-2010, 04:39 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,733,562 times
I remember a few years ago when Columbia got 10-11 inches of snow, but parts of Murfreesboro only got a dusting that time, and my side of town got nothing. I was VERY upset! It seemed like everywhere in middle TN got snow that day, except where I lived at the time. The most snow I can remember getting in recent years was last winter, when we got one snow of 3-4 inches, and a couple of dustings before that. I do remember getting a lot of snow one winter in the early 90s. We had drifts in our backyard that were about 18 inches deep, but the snow itself was more like six inches. I hope our winters are getting snowier. I mean, I guess it's never been extremely snowy here (at least not in the last few decades), but we used to get at least one decent snow every winter.

Old 10-29-2010, 05:51 AM

13 posts, read 13,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gottalovethesouth View Post
Georgia is also a good option with very mild winters!
I have also considered GA in the past, as well........

Old 10-29-2010, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
I remember a few years ago when Columbia got 10-11 inches of snow, but parts of Murfreesboro only got a dusting that time, and my side of town got nothing. I was VERY upset! It seemed like everywhere in middle TN got snow that day, except where I lived at the time. The most snow I can remember getting in recent years was last winter, when we got one snow of 3-4 inches, and a couple of dustings before that. I do remember getting a lot of snow one winter in the early 90s. We had drifts in our backyard that were about 18 inches deep, but the snow itself was more like six inches. I hope our winters are getting snowier. I mean, I guess it's never been extremely snowy here (at least not in the last few decades), but we used to get at least one decent snow every winter.
U must be refering to the blizzard of 93, we had like 8 to 10 inches of snow, but like you said drifts up to 18-24 inches, and that storm was in early March. I just remembered the freak storm in like 2001 or 02 when we got the unexpected 8 inches and people were stuck at work and students stuck at school until night. The forcasters didn't even really have snow in the forcast then all of a sudden a blizzard right during rush hour that morning. But yes we did get snow more on the regular prior to the tornado in 98, I think that changed our weather pattern because we started having tornadoes on the regular from that point on with little snow. I have pics of me as a child in the through out the 80's with losts of snow, one may have been like 82 or 83 I was in a snow suit on a slead and the snow was so deep you could not see the grass at all, the type of snow where you step on it and your foot doesn't even touch the ground.

Now back to summers, at least we weren't in the 100+ heat like Memphis and areas southwest were for multiple times, and even the areas around New York and D.C. had 100+ for at least a week straight. Nashville really only hit 100 like 2 times I think this summer, always floated around 98 or 99. Im like you and hate the heat so I remember the highs in the summer and just hopped we didn't top 100.

Lastly, moving on to today... LOL. I had frost on my car this morning!!!! Bring on the colder weather!!!

Old 10-29-2010, 07:30 AM

I saw some data on NOAA, weather page, that had Nashville month to month snow totals dating back to the late 1800's. There are years, some up to 8 to 10 years in a row where Nashville only had an average of 5 inches of now, then years in a row where we had an average of like 10 to 15 in some cases, some years it was way up there. But the interesting thing is it is like a rolarcoaster, every 15 years or so it would go way up then way down. I think and hope we may be on the way up side of things for this winter! I can't find the link to that page but you can search for it on NOAA, it also has all other weather facts on it as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville