Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2010, 02:51 PM

2 posts, read 3,213 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,

I'm a recent college grad looking to move to a surrounding Nashville area for the music scene (I'm a singer/songwriter). My best friend and I write together and are hoping to move together, though I might be going first. Right now I'm living in Butler, Pennsylvania, if anyone on here knows where that is....

I've talked a few people and from what I've gathered, Brentwood seems to be a really nice community in the middle of a lot of great things, but may be a little pricey.
I've talked to another musician who lives in East Nashville and says E. Nashville has a "bohemian" feel to it.
My main concern with downtown is crime.

Can anyone tell me about these other cities: Berry Hill, Oak Hill, Woodland in Waverly? Are these suburban areas, or what?
And does anyone know about some dependable apartment complexes that might not be too expensive?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2010, 09:22 AM

14 posts, read 50,174 times
What's your price range? I can help you out a bit better if you let me know that. I emailed someone with www.aptselector.com/ and they created a list of complexes in my price range - including any deals they are having. It worked out well for me, because I found a 3 bedroom for $1500 at the Grove Whitworth off of West End. The Grove was having a special... worked out well for me because the usual price was $1800/mo, and I never would have considered it if Apartment Selector hadn't pointed out the deal.

You can also find some great deals for little two bedroom houses/condos, etc. on craigslist... but the good deals dont really show up until about 30 days before the move-in date. And sometimes they wont even be on craigslist, you just have to drive around the neighborhoods you like looking for signs.

All this applies to central nashville only... I dont know anything about Brentwood, etc. And honestly, if you are a 20-something, you should probably stick with East Nashville, West End, Hillsboro, etc. etc.... don't go out to the suburbs!

Old 12-27-2010, 10:50 AM

58 posts, read 176,670 times
I would strongly reccomend considering Franklin/Cool Springs ifyou are looking to buy. If you are considering apartments, East Nashville or Lenox Villiages in Southern Davidson County. Cool Springs is where the growth is, with a lot of everything but at a lower price range than brentwood.

Old 12-27-2010, 01:36 PM

3,828 posts, read 8,467,934 times
It sounds to me like you are looking for 2 different things maybe...1) an area with like-minded artistic folks, 2) a nice area to live in (suburban perhaps). Generally speaking these 2 are exclusive of each other in Nashville. Most suburbs are very family-heavy and don't generally attract single songwriter/musician types. That's not to say you can't have the best of both worlds...but just don't expect to find lots of opportunities to hang out with a lot of single songwriting buddies in Oak Hill.

I would recommend East Nashville for sure. In the words of local bard Todd Snider, "We're that guy from your town who'd rather pick than eat, and we came here [East Nashville] to do almost exactly that." Very much a bohemian feel to that part of town. You'll find lots of songwriters, musicians, yuppies, hipsters, and even young families trying to scrape it out in East Nashville. Certainly, it does have its rough edges. There is an increased degree of crime in East Nashville that you wouldn't find in Brentwood. But if I were moving here from out of town to get into music, East Nashville would be a place I'd look at for sure. Lots of great small venues and places to mix, mingle, and network.

Another option would be around the 12South area. That is near Belmont University and not too far from Music Row. Again, young vibe to it...lots of university graduates there. And Belmont is known for its music program so there's a good chance you'll find some kindred musical spirits in that area. Like East Nashville, there probably is more crime in 12South than a quiet suburb.

I really wouldn't let the crime thing stand in my way of moving to an area to be closer to like-minded folks. Again, it's not essential of course, but my guess is you'd enjoy it more if music is the main reason you're moving here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amc924 View Post
Can anyone tell me about these other cities: Berry Hill, Oak Hill, Woodland in Waverly? Are these suburban areas, or what?
And does anyone know about some dependable apartment complexes that might not be too expensive?
Berry Hill is a suburban area in some sense. It is mostly a business district with lots of small businesses operating out of former residential homes. Nearby is 8th Avenue/Franklin Road. There are some apartments there (Greenbriar was one that I had friends live at years ago...it seemed nice enough and safe). But there are some rough areas nearby. Melrose (nearby) always strikes me as a somewhat rough area.

Oak Hill is definitely suburban. I'm not aware of any apartments in Oak Hill. You might find some duplexes or something similar though.

Woodland in Waverly is a sorta rough area...very close to Melrose as mentioned above. Some cool homes over there...cottage style places...but again not any safer than East Nashville, in fact, probably less safe honestly.

In conclusion, if you're wanting to be close to other musicians, I'd look at East Nashville, 12South, and Hillsboro Village (also near Belmont and Vanderbilt Univ). If you're wanting a safe, suburban type experience, Brentwood, Bellevue, & Green Hills all offer plenty of apartment choices and that type of experience too.

Hope that helps. And good luck!

Old 12-27-2010, 07:18 PM

2 posts, read 3,213 times
thanks guys! this was all really helpful

Old 03-02-2011, 05:37 AM

6 posts, read 12,645 times
I would suggest that you get yourself a trade, some kind of certification and a some job experience for a year or so, THEN if you're still into it, make the move. This way, you have that backup plan and a bit of education and experience in a career field that will make your life that much easier when you need it most. Nashville will still be there in a year or two, so use this time wisely. Yes it is a busy and difficult, proposition.

You will basically be concentrating on these three things:
#1 Your day job - You know, this is your current cash flow and day to day living expenses, and if you can manage, you're certainly going to need to put some away for that big move to Nashville, and a few weeks worth to get you by until you get another day job after the move to TN.

#2 - Your education - Weather you decide on a trade, technical school, community college, it's important that you get this under your belt and out of the way. Some sort of certification and credibility in a job field will help you now in the long run, just when you will need it most. Trust me... EVERYONE needs a plan B, even if temporary. REMEMBER, Pre Planning = More $$$$, which translates to: More $$$$ = More freedom to PLAY MUSIC. When the rent is paid, and there's food in the fridge, life is better, and making music is much, much easier.

#3- Your musical craft. We all know that as musicians, we need to stay active. It's like going to the gym, once you slow it down, or stop for any period of time, you get rusty. It's important to hone your craft and continue playing live, writing, recording demos, etc. After all, THIS is why you are moving to begin with, keep your game up, and stay sharp.

It is an intense schedule to keep, it's hard enough if you're single. If you have a family, well it makes things that much harder, but not impossible, and all of this while trying to save up for that trip to music city, but keep your eye on the prize, take care of your body, get plenty of nutrition, sleep and by all means, stay off of the booze, the cigarettes, and this goes without saying, NO DRUGS!!!! This is a business, a career just like any other, and it is physically grueling on the body, and mentally taxing on the psyche, not to mention the emotional aspects of it all. But it sure is fun and it can be a career and a passion both at the same time, but it takes a certain kind of a person to do it. Only a stay at home mom is likely to multi-task more than a serious musician. Best of luck.

Old 03-02-2011, 06:01 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonCorleone View Post
It sounds to me like you are looking for 2 different things maybe...1) an area with like-minded artistic folks, 2) a nice area to live in (suburban perhaps). Generally speaking these 2 are exclusive of each other in Nashville. Most suburbs are very family-heavy and don't generally attract single songwriter/musician types. That's not to say you can't have the best of both worlds...but just don't expect to find lots of opportunities to hang out with a lot of single songwriting buddies in Oak Hill. !
I was thinking about this the other day. Based on the people I know, the burbs are where you move after you've made it as a songwriter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville