Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2010, 03:59 PM

2 posts, read 3,578 times

Advertisements

Hello, I apologize if this has been covered in another post but my search didn't really turn up the results I wanted. I am youth-worker fresh out of school with those silly notions that I can still do some good for Kids with a bad history

I currently live in MD (Baltimore/DC Metro) so I'm no stranger to gangs, drugs, and violence. I've just been offered an interview with a school for "at risk students" in the east Nashville area and have a few questions.

How violent does crime get in the area? Are we talking about Surenos/MS-13 style attacks (Machetes, hammers, etc.) or the occasional fist fight? I only ask because everyone's deffenition of "bad" is different and some clarity from those with knowledge of the criminal world would be nice.

Any info provided by Law-Enforcement or those already working with these students in the area is GREATLY appreciated!

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2010, 05:02 PM

1,036 posts, read 2,834,838 times
Hi Clay, I live in East Nashville & regularly volunteer in our schools here.

I haven't heard of any machete fights going on but it is common knowledge that there are gangs present in the Nashville area schools. I mainly help with one of our local elementary schools, but I have volunteered some at Stratford, a local high school in East Nashville & I didn't feel threatened at all.

I would say come on down, positive influences are always a welcome addition to the neighborhood

Best of luck with your interview & Happy Holidays!

Courtney

Old 12-20-2010, 07:32 PM

210 posts, read 587,887 times
If you are from the metro Baltimore, MD area and are accustomed to the gang violence up there, then you should fare well here in Nashville. Yes, we do have gang activity, but Baltimore is worse than Nashville. Most of the violence in E. Nashville is isolated and the schools over in that area have remained pretty subdued as of late. Come on down, check it out...i bet you will like it and find you place to make a difference.

Old 12-21-2010, 10:51 AM

228 posts, read 528,544 times
Jenntenn is probably dead on here – Nashville will seem fairly tame compared to your experience. Direct Message me and I’d be happy to put you in touch with a youth-focused social worker in East Nashville to answer your specific questions.

Old 12-21-2010, 01:30 PM

2 posts, read 3,578 times
Thank you all for the quick replies! Nashville is looking better and better every day!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville