Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2010, 03:36 PM

584 posts, read 1,136,151 times

Advertisements

That sounds sort of like the Pearls recommendation to beat kids w/ aquarium tubing. Oh. my. Several children have died.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2010, 07:13 PM

4,885 posts, read 7,286,064 times
This reminds me of a church group that was active in Murfreesboro in the 1990's called A Branch of the Vine. So much of what I have read in this post is descriptive of what I saw when one of my very close friends and his family joined this "church". Everything about the family was focused on the "church". I even remember their form of discipline was something called "sounding", where the "sinner" would stand in the center and all of the other members would scream and shout at the sinner in an attempt to "sound out the devil". I just could not find anything biblilcal about some of their doctrine. My friend and his wife wound up divorced and their children (now adults) are about as screwed up as they come. I think the group eventually disbanded, but the damage was already done.

Old 01-09-2011, 12:27 PM

36 posts, read 155,241 times
Thanks everyone for your feedback. I've been checking everything out. I agree that the fancy clothes and all the pomp and circumstance in some of the pictures do come off as a bit uppity. However, Christian denominations in general vary and all have their own peculiarities. So far I can't see anything completely wrong with their theology which seems to point someone towards focusing off their own selfish interests and more towards God's interests or higher purpose. That part seems fine and it clearly has helped people lose massive amounts of weight so that can't be too bad. The part about the child abuse is very disturbing. I have to look more into that b/c there is always more than one side to a story.

Old 01-09-2011, 12:37 PM

3,963 posts, read 10,630,506 times
Funny thing- Wednesday I was at Chili's and saw Gwen coming in as we left. I held my tongue

Old 01-09-2011, 01:22 PM

210 posts, read 587,812 times
Wow Grace72, sounds like you have been reading Remnant propaganda sites. Of course anything that they publish will make them appear to be just another denomination of Christianity, but for those of us who live near the church and have dealings with the members and the founders on a day to day basis we know the real deal. You can hide a lot of bad things behind the "word of God" and within the walls of a "church"...and this is what they do. And as far as the losing weight portion, ya, the Weigh Down Worship did lead to several people losing weight. But this "church" in fact was a big fat giant scam, and that was proven. If you were not losing weight it was blamed on you not being dedicated enough to the church (ie, lack of donations). Glad you feel a bit more comfortable with the whole situation for your friend, but this "church" is not a true Christian God centered church by any stretch.
The leader of the church is strictly in this for the money and control...nothing else.

Old 01-09-2011, 03:42 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,920,589 times
Default Not trying to start a religious discussion, BUT ...

There are significant problems with their "theology." It is not a denomination. Gwen has stated that there is no trinity. She does not believe in it. She basically states the opposite of Christianity, which is based on grace, or God's forgiveness as a gift. In Gwen's "church," if you are struggling in any way, you are in disobedience to God. The way I was taught, church is not full of saints, but sinners seeking forgiveness.
Christians obey because God loves us, not to earn God's love. But Gwen's entire message is about obedience out of guilt, and that the way to perfection (God's acceptance) is through strict discipline of the flesh. That is why the weight loss seems to work. So if you are overweight, you are disobeying God and are in a state that is unacceptable to him. He will not want you in that condition. And anyone who tells you otherwise is a false teacher, a devil, and you must cut ties with them. This cult has split families and ended marriages.
Her message is the complete OPPOSITE of Christianity.
It is ironic that I see her and her posse of Stepford family members out all the time, and it is always at a restaurant. I guess they pay a lot of money to push that lettuce around the plate.
You might as well start a meeting with a bunch of your friends regularly, call yourself a church, and preach whatever you want. It would be the same thing.

Last edited by BirdieBelle; 01-09-2011 at 04:09 PM..

Old 01-10-2011, 08:47 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,469,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akm4 View Post
Funny thing- Wednesday I was at Chili's and saw Gwen coming in as we left. I held my tongue
Was she getting some deep-fried hypocrisy? Or maybe the cheese-stuffed do-as-I-say-not-as-I-do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
There are significant problems with their "theology." It is not a denomination. Gwen has stated that there is no trinity. She does not believe in it. She basically states the opposite of Christianity, which is based on grace, or God's forgiveness as a gift. In Gwen's "church," if you are struggling in any way, you are in disobedience to God. The way I was taught, church is not full of saints, but sinners seeking forgiveness.
Christians obey because God loves us, not to earn God's love. But Gwen's entire message is about obedience out of guilt, and that the way to perfection (God's acceptance) is through strict discipline of the flesh. That is why the weight loss seems to work. So if you are overweight, you are disobeying God and are in a state that is unacceptable to him. He will not want you in that condition. And anyone who tells you otherwise is a false teacher, a devil, and you must cut ties with them. This cult has split families and ended marriages.
Her message is the complete OPPOSITE of Christianity.
It is ironic that I see her and her posse of Stepford family members out all the time, and it is always at a restaurant. I guess they pay a lot of money to push that lettuce around the plate.
You might as well start a meeting with a bunch of your friends regularly, call yourself a church, and preach whatever you want. It would be the same thing.
Amen X 100.

Old 01-16-2011, 08:45 PM

1 posts, read 4,351 times
Can anyone speak about the youth of the church? They seem polite and respectful. Would it be harmful to let your child date a member of this church? What do they teach about about friendships and dating outside of their church membership?

Old 01-16-2011, 09:35 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,920,589 times
Remnant Members are expected to exhibit perfection. They have to look good and act like they feel good at all times. That is why they look and act a little like Stepford people.
If a Remnant member is dating someone who is not a Remnant member, they will expect that person to become a member or they will cut off all relationship and communication with them.
This combined with their emphasis on submission to authority (not Christ but other Remnant members) would make me nervous for my child.

My Testimony: An Ex-Member of Remnant Fellowship Speaks

Old 01-17-2011, 07:16 PM

1 posts, read 4,373 times
Personally, I would not get close to that place. I have a relative who is a member.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville