Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2012, 01:41 PM

3,963 posts, read 10,631,058 times

Advertisements

I think it's important to recognize the power of groups like this. They employ systems that are more effective than you might expect. I remember reading an article (sorry I can't locate it to cite) about a journalist who set out to join a cult in order to expose it. Instead, he was sucked in and had to be "extracted" and deprogrammed. In other words, it's no comment on the will or intelligence of those who are duped. It can happen to those who appear least vulnerable.

Those who advised to stay far away are absolutely right. Don't play with fire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2012, 01:43 PM

701 posts, read 2,030,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
There are significant problems with their "theology." It is not a denomination. Gwen has stated that there is no trinity. She does not believe in it. She basically states the opposite of Christianity, which is based on grace, or God's forgiveness as a gift. In Gwen's "church," if you are struggling in any way, you are in disobedience to God. The way I was taught, church is not full of saints, but sinners seeking forgiveness.
Christians obey because God loves us, not to earn God's love. But Gwen's entire message is about obedience out of guilt, and that the way to perfection (God's acceptance) is through strict discipline of the flesh. That is why the weight loss seems to work. So if you are overweight, you are disobeying God and are in a state that is unacceptable to him. He will not want you in that condition. And anyone who tells you otherwise is a false teacher, a devil, and you must cut ties with them. This cult has split families and ended marriages.
Her message is the complete OPPOSITE of Christianity.
It is ironic that I see her and her posse of Stepford family members out all the time, and it is always at a restaurant. I guess they pay a lot of money to push that lettuce around the plate.
You might as well start a meeting with a bunch of your friends regularly, call yourself a church, and preach whatever you want. It would be the same thing.
Good post.

Old 07-29-2012, 01:46 PM

701 posts, read 2,030,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akm4 View Post
I think it's important to recognize the power of groups like this. They employ systems that are more effective than you might expect. I remember reading an article (sorry I can't locate it to cite) about a journalist who set out to join a cult in order to expose it. Instead, he was sucked in and had to be "extracted" and deprogrammed. In other words, it's no comment on the will or intelligence of those who are duped. It can happen to those who appear least vulnerable.

You're right. Intelligence isn't a factor because my sister's husband was very intelligent/analytical and always seeking knowledge. The thing with cults is that they peg your vulnerabilities and then they feed on them. "You suffer from this, but we understand it, and we know how to make it right." It's usually in the form of what could be perceived as legitimate love and support, however these groups operate on power and control. There's always a hierarchy and strict obedience to the group's dogma.

Old 08-02-2012, 04:03 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,028,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akm4 View Post

Very true. Just like people who take the free weekend getaway offer contingent on sitting through a high-pressure timeshare presentation because they think it's as easy as just saying "no". When they get home, they're on the hook for a $15,000 timeshare at 15% interest.

Old 08-02-2012, 08:27 PM

65 posts, read 142,273 times
Default Interesting

I know some people in Nashville who are Christians who work with Eating Disorders, Weight Loss, etc. and are absolutely legit.

The difference is, they are actual professionals who aren't members of a cult like this. They actually do this in their everyday work, not at church. I am sure they get referrals occasionally from their churches, but-this is a whole different story, apparently.

I'll have to check with them to see what they think of this outfit, and I would be curious if they've run into anyone who's been to this place. My friends probably can't even generally tell me that, but I bet they have.

I've heard of other legitimate Weight Loss Programs that have been run through churches (some are like 12-step programs or support groups, for example), but NEVER an ENTIRE CHURCH/CULT based on one...

You just never know...

Old 05-22-2014, 04:13 PM

23 posts, read 59,389 times
Default Remnant is NOT a cult!

[[quote=Wmsn4Life;17333832]There are significant problems with their "theology." It is not a denomination. Gwen has stated that there is no trinity. She does not believe in it. She basically states the opposite of Christianity, which is based on grace, or God's forgiveness as a gift. In Gwen's "church," if you are struggling in any way, you are in disobedience to God. The way I was taught, church is not full of saints, but sinners seeking forgiveness.
Christians obey because God loves us, not to earn God's love. But Gwen's entire message is about obedience out of guilt, and that the way to perfection (God's acceptance) is through strict discipline of the flesh. That is why the weight loss seems to work. So if you are overweight, you are disobeying God and are in a state that is unacceptable to him. He will not want you in that condition. And anyone who tells you otherwise is a false teacher, a devil, and you must cut ties with them. This cult has split families and ended marriages.
It is ironic that I see her and her posse of Stepford family members out all the time, and it is always at a restaurant. I guess they pay a lot of money to push that lettuce around the plate.
You might as well start a meeting with a bunch of your friends regularly, call yourself a church, and preach whatever you want. It would be the same thing.[/QUOTE

I consider the above to have so many reckless statements that contribute nothing to the truth of the matter and much to the hysteria of the matter. CULT! CULT! I can not address them all.
I'll start with the closing comment of "You might as well start a meeting with a bunch of your friends regularly, call yourself a church, and preach whatever you want. It would be the same thing."

No, it would not be the same thing, how ridiculous and insanely disrespectful of a legitimate Christian church body! Gwen built the church with her own money, btw, and takes nothing from the church funds. The church has grown through her calling, wise care, sacrifice, longsuffering, God's blessing and through REALLY meeting the needs of people who seek to live totally for God..... and get past permanently, those things ruining their lives and relationship with God. The operations and stewardship of the church is a role model. This is a well organized, popular and THRIVING church body with changed and grateful families. These families are out in the community daily for work and school and shopping and city services and do not need to clear permission to live their lives. Find me a cult that allows that. If as suggested, Remnant requires permission to attend a funeral at another church even--how do they allow city schools, jobs, EATING AT LOCAL RESTAURANTS and lives interacting with people not in the church?! This idea of a cult is hysteria!

I believe they are over 700(?) FAITHFUL (not imprisoned) members now and most ORIGINALLY moved there from all areas of the country.....and now are into the second and third generations of families. By now the downline of all the original members would be fleeing the cult and they are staying to raise their own families there. HUNDREDS OF THEM! My own children had no problem refusing to go to church with me when they got tired of it. Every kid knows how not to do what they don't want to do.

So what it is not "a denomination," it is actually more to its credit and authenticity that it is not a
denomination---that has all kinds of man made additions and rituals that are not biblical. There are tons of NON DENOMINATIONAL Christian churches in every state, not being classified as a cult, but Remnant is one for it.

Comments like above that they "must spend a lot of money to push lettuce around their plate," really illustrate how inaccurate one is on what The Weigh Down program is about. One of the PRINCIPLE things in Weigh Down is TO EAT WHAT YOU TRULY DESIRE--and apply the boundaries advised (hunger/fullness etc). This is about the only weight loss plan around that does NOT have you manipulating the food and eating lettuce!! Using these loose statements to describe the church and what it is about is such an injustice. Funny that the PHENOMENAL results of the Remnant/Weigh Down lifestyle are never mentioned. A fleeting comment that "some" people have lost weight is laughable!!! Thousands, including people losing hundreds of pounds each and keeping it off--is the true glory of the program! Funny that the hundreds of happy, thriving families who are finding true freedom in life and who have happy, non rebellious, non drug/alcohol using children ---by focusing on obeying God's Word, are not hailed.

I will tell you what is behind these FEW, OLD, whiny internet complaints about Weigh Down/Gwen/Remnant etc and that is that people are FREAKED OUT by the thought of not being their own God. Honor God's authority ALL the way??? HORRORS!! IT IS A CULT!!! RUN, RUN!! Follow the authority at the church? CULT! CULT! What, my children are expected to obey the adult leaders at church? THEY ARE UNSAFE!!! GET THEM OUT!! The average Christian church is so slack on truth and accountability that the people are going to be barely recognizeable, if so at all--to God. It has created a shudder at the sound of OBEY. He said COME OUT and be HOLY. He said HAVE NO GODS BEFORE ME. (That includes OURSELVES.) HE WHO LOVES ME OBEYS ME!!

I am not a member, but have visited once, have taken some of the Weigh Down Classes and also have tuned in for frequent (at times) viewing of the Sabbath services online. I can see there is a high level of accountability that MOST people can not handle--initially especially. It is such an alien concept anymore, that this "good" is now being called "evil." Several of the OLD complaints from the early days are clearly people who were overwhelmed with this difficult transition of not being their own God and indulging all kinds of SELF. I can understand it. We humans go down kicking. But that does not make it the truth that Remnant is a cult. These complainers can drag you in to the emotion of their "trauma" of having boundaries!! Any organization is going to have those that can't deal--and leave. Whining all the way. The way the cult word is flung around over this church body, you would think people needed extraction by SEAL TEAM SIX or something.

While the town's people and forums here mock Remnant, they are a joyous, HEALED, delivered, successful, thriving, prayerful, praiseful church body. I say RUN alright.....RUN your rebellious, depressed, overweight, sick, disappointed-parent selves and wayward children right into a Weigh Down class or church visit or a webstream of services on Sat. mornings!

They have room for you too.

RUN!

Old 05-22-2014, 05:10 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tidewatergal View Post

I am not a member, but have visited once...
This gives your rant no credibility.

Old 05-22-2014, 09:09 PM

263 posts, read 614,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tidewatergal View Post

I will tell you what is behind these FEW, OLD, whiny internet complaints about Weigh Down/Gwen/Remnant etc and that is that people are FREAKED OUT by the thought of not being their own God. Honor God's authority ALL the way??? HORRORS!! IT IS A CULT!!! RUN, RUN!! Follow the authority at the church? CULT! CULT! What, my children are expected to obey the adult leaders at church? THEY ARE UNSAFE!!! GET THEM OUT!! The average Christian church is so slack on truth and accountability that the people are going to be barely recognizeable, if so at all--to God. It has created a shudder at the sound of OBEY. He said COME OUT and be HOLY. He said HAVE NO GODS BEFORE ME. (That includes OURSELVES.) HE WHO LOVES ME OBEYS ME!!
Hint # 585 that you're a member of a cult: You feel the need to use ALL CAPS repeatedly.

Old 05-22-2014, 09:24 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
I also love how she preaches at us, then ridicules us with a string of very ungodly insults while defending the "church":

"RUN your rebellious, depressed, overweight, sick, disappointed-parent selves and wayward children right into a Weigh Down class or church...."

Old 05-22-2014, 11:48 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,328,903 times
[quote=Tidewatergal;34915801][
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
There are significant problems with their "theology." It is not a denomination. Gwen has stated that there is no trinity. She does not believe in it. She basically states the opposite of Christianity, which is based on grace, or God's forgiveness as a gift. In Gwen's "church," if you are struggling in any way, you are in disobedience to God. The way I was taught, church is not full of saints, but sinners seeking forgiveness.
You might as well start a meeting with a bunch of your friends regularly, call yourself a church, and preach whatever you want. It would be the same thing.[/QUOTE

I consider the above to have so many reckless statements that contribute nothing to the truth of the matter and much to the hysteria of the matter. CULT! CULT! I can not address them all.
I'll start with the closing comment of "You might as well start a meeting with a bunch of your friends regularly, call yourself a church, and preach whatever you want. It would be the same thing."

No, it would not be the same thing, how ridiculous and insanely disrespectful of a legitimate Christian church body! Gwen built the church with her own money, btw, and takes nothing from the church funds. The church has grown through her calling, wise care, sacrifice, longsuffering, God's blessing and through REALLY meeting the needs of people who seek to live totally for God..... and get past permanently, those things ruining their lives and relationship with God. The operations and stewardship of the church is a role model. This is a well organized, popular and THRIVING church body with changed and grateful families. These families are out in the community daily for work and school and shopping and city services and do not need to clear permission to live their lives. Find me a cult that allows that. If as suggested, Remnant requires permission to attend a funeral at another church even--how do they allow city schools, jobs, EATING AT LOCAL RESTAURANTS and lives interacting with people not in the church?! This idea of a cult is hysteria!

I believe they are over 700(?) FAITHFUL (not imprisoned) members now and most ORIGINALLY moved there from all areas of the country.....and now are into the second and third generations of families. By now the downline of all the original members would be fleeing the cult and they are staying to raise their own families there. HUNDREDS OF THEM! My own children had no problem refusing to go to church with me when they got tired of it. Every kid knows how not to do what they don't want to do.

So what it is not "a denomination," it is actually more to its credit and authenticity that it is not a
denomination---that has all kinds of man made additions and rituals that are not biblical. There are tons of NON DENOMINATIONAL Christian churches in every state, not being classified as a cult, but Remnant is one for it.

Comments like above that they "must spend a lot of money to push lettuce around their plate," really illustrate how inaccurate one is on what The Weigh Down program is about. One of the PRINCIPLE things in Weigh Down is TO EAT WHAT YOU TRULY DESIRE--and apply the boundaries advised (hunger/fullness etc). This is about the only weight loss plan around that does NOT have you manipulating the food and eating lettuce!! Using these loose statements to describe the church and what it is about is such an injustice. Funny that the PHENOMENAL results of the Remnant/Weigh Down lifestyle are never mentioned. A fleeting comment that "some" people have lost weight is laughable!!! Thousands, including people losing hundreds of pounds each and keeping it off--is the true glory of the program! Funny that the hundreds of happy, thriving families who are finding true freedom in life and who have happy, non rebellious, non drug/alcohol using children ---by focusing on obeying God's Word, are not hailed.

I am not a member, but have visited once, have taken some of the Weigh Down Classes and also have tuned in for frequent (at times) viewing of the Sabbath services online. I can see there is a high level of accountability that MOST people can not handle--initially especially. It is such an alien concept anymore, that this "good" is now being called "evil." Several of the OLD complaints from the early days are clearly people who were overwhelmed with this difficult transition of not being their own God and indulging all kinds of SELF. I can understand it. We humans go down kicking. But that does not make it the truth that Remnant is a cult. These complainers can drag you in to the emotion of their "trauma" of having boundaries!! Any organization is going to have those that can't deal--and leave. Whining all the way. The way the cult word is flung around over this church body, you would think people needed extraction by SEAL TEAM SIX or something.

While the town's people and forums here mock Remnant, they are a joyous, HEALED, delivered, successful, thriving, prayerful, praiseful church body. I say RUN alright.....RUN your rebellious, depressed, overweight, sick, disappointed-parent selves and wayward children right into a Weigh Down class or church visit or a webstream of services on Sat. mornings!

They have room for you too.

RUN!
That's adorable. Bless your heart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville